• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the above error when working off of my xserve in photoshop. It is new in CS5 which we have recently upgraded to. Several people at my office are getting it. Sometimes it displays a random name with afp in front of it (I assume it is the temp name when photoshop is swapping out the new file for the old file.) It only seems to happen with psd and psb files. I have write access to the volume in question and it doesn't matter if I am the only one accessing the folder or not. I can save as and it seems to work; but it does delete the file.

Very frustrating. Anybody have any ideas? My IT guys are struggling with it, and one of them used to work on the Flash team as well as at Apple.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Hi everyone,

The recent Mac OS X 10.8.4 released yesterday has specifically named the following fix:

• Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

referenced from this Apple KB article. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

If you are still experiencing this issue, please update to 10.8.4 and then re-test in your environment. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

The KB article also mentions this fix:

• A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files mad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 492 Replies 492
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried playing with the following AFP settings in Xinet to see if that has an impact?  I wonder what the option for "No special treatment" would do for the newer versions of OSX if anything.

Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 1.12.59 PM.pngScreen shot 2011-08-09 at 1.13.08 PM.png

We recently have run into this with one user on 10.6.5 runing CS5 using Xinet on IBM servers with RedHat Enterprise installed.  Client machines have dual port aggregated ethernet running to a switch that has a 10 GIG uplink to the server. 

If I do a terminal to the share, the .afpdeletedXXXXXX file is created and as mentioned before a mv command to a new file name brings the file back "from its "disappearance" according to the user.  Only part that Apple is involved in is the client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we recentrly upgraded Xinet to 16.06, I'll check with our Xinet admin (out today) what the "dot filename" treatment setting is.

It would be interesting if it was Xinet causing this by trying to apply the invisible setting to the file while other operations in PS were trying to access it. Although why would you call a temp file .afpDeleted is beyond me...

Anyway, so we are on FullPress 16.06, running Photoshop CS5 12.0.4, on a new iMac 27" with 10.6.8 v1.1 (yes, it shipped with Snow Leopard thank god) and we are now graced with a new .afpDeleted error message! The user started using PS CS5 yesterday on his MacPro and had this happen, then today on his new iMac 27" - the following is a screen shot of the error with the Terminal in the target directory, showing the .afpDeleted file

PS and Terminal.png

Dialog text:

Error 8800: General Photoshop error occured. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.

- Could not save ".afpDeletedxxxxxxxxx" because write access was not granted.

Line: 54

->

When our Xinet admin gets back, we might try altering the "Filenames that start with period (.)" to "No special treatment (may crash ancient Mac clients)"

Since every client we have here is now 10.6 there are no ancient Macs...

Anyway funny, I was just about to revive this thread just this morning before the new post, nice one mccolo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although why would you call a temp file .afpDeleted is beyond me...

You'll have to ask Apple about that. That's an OS and file server thing, not related to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brunerd

We are still on FullPress 16.05 without the database turned on our WIP.  The strange thing is, it appears from your screen shot, as from the ones I have seen in terminal, it isn't a perms issue, because they have access. So I dont understand where Photoshop is getting the error message and why it thinks it is a write issue if all the settings are open.  Perms was one of the main reasons we went to Linux instead of Apple.

More tech info to rule out io errors due to speed.

The machine is an 8core Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM, a 1TB scratch and 512GB hard drive, with dual ethernet aggregated to a layer 3 switch with a 10gig backbone. The Server has 4 10 gig uplinks to an IBM server with 96 processors, 256GB of RAM and 15K drives on a fiber channel raid through a SAN. This is our only user TESTING Photoshop CS5, which is why no other users are having this issues.  Perhaps it is related to the ACL issue apple has worsened in SnowLeopard with duplicate ACLs appearing all over the place depending on how nested the folder is = the number of ACLs on the file. Supposedly that is fixed in Lion, but I think its just another ploy to buy new hardware. Perhaps we will just have to stop buying Photoshop, move to Linux and start using open source software and the old school retouching techniques that always seemed to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I dont understand where Photoshop is getting the error message and why it thinks it is a write issue if all the settings are open.

Because the OS is returning an error during the save operation.

We don't know the specifics (but Xinet seems to be the only AFP client with problems, and SMB problems appear to have a different cause).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

So I dont understand where Photoshop is getting the error message and why it thinks it is a write issue if all the settings are open.

Because the OS is returning an error during the save operation.

We don't know the specifics (but Xinet seems to be the only AFP client with problems, and SMB problems appear to have a different cause).

Can you please clarfiy by what you mean that Xinet seems to be the only AFP client? I thought earlier we were reading about posts of regular OSX running afp, and also that extremeZ IP was also another one having issues.  Xinet is a server not a client, the client is the mac connecting regular ol afp. Xinet is lik Extreme Z IP but with more than file sharing, hence the reason for having it, otherwise I would just use a different sharing method.

I just want to understand your thought on why you think Xinet is the only one with problems.

Thnx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm really hoping it's the fact the Xinet AFP server is attempting to mark the file hidden and locking it at the same time the save operationattempting to complete. Our Xinet admin is changing our setting to "No special treatment" but it requires the AFP daemon to be restarted so we'll have to schedule it. I'll let you folks know what I find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brunerd,

That would be WAY COOL! I noticed the restart prompt as well, so I waited and havent scheduled it yet since I am going on vacation. I will be anxiously awaiting your results.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2011 Aug 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang -- we changed it... then we waited... first day OK, next day same old .afpDeleted nonsense...

I can only hope by some miracle Photoshop CS5.5 behaves better, we've been waiting for Extensis to get their UTS/UTC 3 out with CS 5.5 plugins, so next is to upgrade the font server, then all the clients to CS 5.5

Will keep you posted...

And so help me Holger, I hope your Out of Office message is turned off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this and another issue with Photoshop regarding Lucida Grande not updating and not allowing me to edit files. When I contacted Apple to clear up my font issue, this problem went away for me. I'm not sure if it's related, and it's not something that makes a lot of sense to me, but I wanted to put it out there, to see if it helps. I understand how this issue can cause major problems.

My font issue was with how Lucida Grande's preview is generated. Somehow in my updating process to CS5.5 and Lion OS, the resources Lucida uses were damaged. When I opened a file, it first asked me to update the file. When that failed, I would be forced to open the file and not udate the fonts. When I did that, ade any change to the file and attempted to save, the file would vanish from my server and I would have to save it again. The fix below is what I used to solve my font issue, and now I have no saving issues on my server at all. Again, I really can't explain why.

First thing... quit all open applications.

1. Open Font Book and navigate to Stone Sans. (You may have to or three versions)

2. Right-Click and "Show in Finder" - This will take you to your System/Library/Fonts folder.

3. Copy all Stone Sans font files to your desktop as a backup.

4. In Font Book, right-click on all Stone Sans fonts and 'Remove Fonts'.

5. Open Photoshop and check to see if Lucida Grande is available for use. This re-builds some font cache or font resource that is used by Photoshop. (No one could tell me this for sure, so I'm guessing here.)

6. Close Photoshop and copy Stone Sans back into the System/Library/Fonts folder and relaunch Photoshop.

Now try to open a file from the server and make a small change like turning on or off a layer. Then try to save and see if you can save the file as normal, or if you get the same error.

The guy I spoke with at Apple said that he believes Stone Sans is a resource for Lucida Grande, and if the connection to that resource was corrupt, it could cause my font problem, but that he has never heard of it before. I wonder if the saving issue is related because all the files I have issues saving has Lucida Grande in them.

Anyway, if any of you are still baffled and frustrated, try this fix. It doesn't take long and doesn't hurt anything, so it may be worth it to try.

This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add my voice to those of others. I am an apple ACN in the UK and I support just over 40 companies. This error has cropped up in two separate sites. One with a user running CS5 on a 10.6.x machine working off SMB (I say 10.6.x as this problem persisted for this user from 10.6.4 up through 10.6.8 and persists now as an intermittent fault in CS5). I now also have a second user afflicted running CS5.5 on a 10.7 client accessing a 10.6.8 based AFP share. Although I didn't see it in person, the CS5.5 user has also reported this as an issue with local files as well as network based files. Both users have so far nullified the issue by reverting to CS3 or 4 where there's no problem.

I have to agree with others, the common thread is Photoshop CS5. This happens with nothing else. No other CS5 app. No other version of CS, no other app outside of CS. this only happens in Photoshop CS5. As much as Chris tries to bat this away - theres an old saying, that "if it looks like a horse, smells like a horse and sounds like a horse.... chances are, its a horse". I expect to see this issue more often as companies buy new machines and end up buying CS5 for those new machines. It would be nice to see this resolved before CS 6.

Chris you have been doing a great job batting this away and defending the company line. I'd expect nothing else. but at the end of the day this feels like ford making a car with dreadful handling that shakes all over the place and blaming the road.  if CS5 is meant to play nice on OS X 10.x, y or z then it's adobe's job to make it roadworthy, and right now it feels distinctly rickety.

ATB to all

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add, in case nobody has mentioned it, that one way I've been able to easily reproduce the issue is by trying to save a large file and cancelling it mid-save by hitting the Escape key. The file on the server disappears at that point and a "save as" must be done to save the file you still have open in memory back to it's original location again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one user with this issue as well.  Only  happens in Photoshop and not all the time.  Seems to only happen with PSD files.  My other 12 users, to this point, don't receive the error. CS 5, Lion, saving to a Windows 2008 R2 Server running the latest version of ExtremeZ-IP.  This user was having the problem with a previous Mac, which had 10.6 on it, so as a test I moved him to the newer machine he currently uses and same problem pops up.  It isn't all the time but does happen every day at least once when trying to save his work. 

Going through this forum I don't hold out much hope this will get fixed because it seems Chris has taken on the typical, in my experience at least, Adobe stance of it is never our products that are causing the problem.  In all reality it is probably Photoshop and something to do with OS X but god forbid two companies work together to solve an issue.   Meanwhile we the users deal with the pain. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>  the typical, in my experience at least, Adobe stance of it is never our products that are causing the problem.

That is a common answer because that is most often the case after we fix the major bugs in our products.  (ie: after fixing our bugs, what's left are other people's bugs that we can't work around)  Whenever a problem is ours, we admit it and try to get it fixed as soon as possible.  And as noted above, we've been working with Apple on this, and other companies.

Anyway, we are continuing to work with Apple to figure this out, and adding more safety code on our side to prevent file loss when unexpected file system errors occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Anyway, we are continuing to work with Apple to figure this out, and adding more safety code on our side to prevent file loss when unexpected file system errors occur.

Let me ammend my comment to say that if this is an Apple bug that can't be worked around, Photoshop/Lightroom is the only software combination in my experience that has hit it. Is there a bug report with Apple that I could follow?

Nate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, customers don't have visibility into Apple's bug system.

Photoshop hits it because we check for all kinds of errors, most other applications just ignore the errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 08, 2011 Dec 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a lot of frustration here today, we were able to resolve this issue by turning off "Show Icon Preview" in the Finder, using OSX 10.7.2.

It looks like, for our situation, this error was the result of a conflict between Photoshop and the Finder. We "fixed" this conflict by turning off the Finder "Show View Options":

Show Icon Preview = OFF

If that is turned off, the problem goes away. Optionally, you can turn off Photoshop's preference to save icon previews. That also "fixed" it. But since Show Icon Preview is a network hog, and our server software (Xinet) already makes icon previews, we chose to turn that off.

Hope that helps a few folks,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jpword wrote:

…since Show Icon Preview is a network hog, and our server software (Xinet)…

You're working across a network? 

This is the boilerplate text often used in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else's network remotely, and that's why it's not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See: 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406793.html

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won't work.   It should.

Adobe's position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it's probably the network's fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can't work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you're on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了        No connection to Adobe, just another end user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yep, over a network.

Works fine with "Show Icon Preview" turned off, which is part of Adobe's "normally, it does work" message... but I completly agree with you, if you have sensitive image files, and no backup, you should certainly not work over the network... but many people do and I wanted to share why Photoshop was denying the write with the, "write access was not granted" message. It's because our server respects locks and the Finder had the resource fork locked trying to make its Icon Preview.

Photoshop should detect when that's the case, and avoid the original file from being deleted. The error is fine, and justified. The delete is not.

Thanks,

James

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks James!

I will give this a try tomorrow. We ate also on Xinet with a 10gig backbone

working off the network with 2 gig aggregated to the desktops.

Sent from my iPhone

Mark Campbell

Production Technology Director

The Integer Group

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>> Photoshop should detect when that's the case, and avoid the original file from being deleted. The error is fine, and justified. The delete is not.

We're still working with Apple to determine how that happens, and make sure it gets fixed or we find a way to avoid the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris et al,

I am very glad to hear that Adobe are now working on this with Apple. I have to go to a meeting with our users on Friday to discuss with them what progress has been made on fixing this, could you answer a few questions so I am able to give them an update?

- How long have Adobe been working with Apple on this?

- What progress has been made so far?

- Are there any recommended workarounds in the short-term?

- Is there an estimated time to resolve?

- What priority is being given to the issue at both companies?

Also if it helps towards a resolution at all, we have observed that this problem only occurs on certain sharepoints. We have a number of shares that are all hosted on the same Xsan volume, but the error only occurs with files stored on a few of these shares; users who are accessing the other shares never see the problem. I am more than happy to provide any diags that we can to Adobe/Apple regarding these shares.

Many thanks

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2011 Dec 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've beenn working with Apple on related issues for years.

We recently identified a particular defect in the Apple SMB implementation that can cause a problem like this.  We are attempting to create workarounds in our code (and better error detection), but the core problem is in the MacOS code.

And we never know Apple's priorities.

The only known user workaround is to save on the local disk, then copy to the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this issues of 'afpDeletedxxxxxxxxxxx' and 'Write access was not granted' in Photoshop are now happening in my environment.  The users (about 20) have worked off of a Mac Server for 10+ years using Quark, InDesgin, Photoshop, you name it and have never had any issues until the past month or so.  While I understand Adobe's stance on not working off of a server, I have been put in a tough as the system that worked for 10 years suddenly is not longer working consistently.  Try telling someone they have to change the way they have been working for 10 years with no problems until now?  No one is going to like that. 

Here is a little info about the setup and troublehsooting I have tried

• 2 Mac Pro Servers running 10.6.8 - 1 is an OD master, the other is a OD replica which exists only in case of a disaster.  The OD Master replicates its data 4 times a day to the OD replica using Carbon Copy Cloner.  (The replication process has been in place and untouched for 3 years now)  (I know when CCC runs and users have reported the saving issue at times that match up with CCC and times that do not.  I even disabled the replication for a day and it still happened)

• The deisgners are all on Mac Pros purchased within the last three years and all are running 10.6.8 and CS5.5.  As I said the connect via the built in AFP using their Open Directory Credentials using the Open Directory Authentication Attribute.  All the designers have an internal drive dedicated to Time Machine.  I have disabled Time Machine and the issue still happens. 

• The designers are very careful about accessing each others files.  Are the designer's project folders are color coded to alert other designers to stay out.  Other designer's browsing the directory is not the cause.

• There has been no major change in software or hardware in the last 6 months so I cannot attribute that to the file saving issue.

When stuff was changed

CS5.5 and 10.6.8 Deployed in June 2011

OD Master Replaced (Xserve -> Mac Pro) in March 2011

3 New Mac Pros deployed in September 2011

If anyone could shed any light on this issue I cannot tell you how much I would appreciate it.  I can upload logs if requested.  The next step I am likely to take is to bind all the machines to the OD master and implement Kerberos, futile?  Or a good idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's only one workaround that I have found, and it's a pain. You have to go into Show View Options (Command J) and turn off the preview column.

It's a workaround that I found here with a full explaination of the issue: http://support.grouplogic.com/?p=1664

It works for me, but it's a pain because I have to hit the space bar to view previews, rather than having the finder present one to me. Slower, but safer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines