could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)

I keep getting the above error when working off of my xserve in photoshop. It is new in CS5 which we have recently upgraded to. Several people at my office are getting it. Sometimes it displays a random name with afp in front of it (I assume it is the temp name when photoshop is swapping out the new file for the old file.) It only seems to happen with psd and psb files. I have write access to the volume in question and it doesn't matter if I am the only one accessing the folder or not. I can save as and it seems to work; but it does delete the file.

Very frustrating. Anybody have any ideas? My IT guys are struggling with it, and one of them used to work on the Flash team as well as at Apple.

Hi everyone,

The recent Mac OS X 10.8.4 released yesterday has specifically named the following fix:

• Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

referenced from this Apple KB article. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

If you are still experiencing this issue, please update to 10.8.4 and then re-test in your environment. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

The KB article also mentions this fix:

• A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files made over NFS from displaying
  • A fix for an issue that may prevent documents from being saved to a server using SMB

In general this OS update has a number of network save fixes in it that we recommend users try out.

Thanks,

Jeff

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

Re: could not save because write access was not granted

After a lot of frustration here today, we were able to resolve this issue by turning off "Show Icon Preview" in the Finder, using OSX 10.7.2.

It looks like, for our situation, this error was the result of a conflict between Photoshop and the Finder. We "fixed" this conflict by turning off the Finder "Show View Options":

Show Icon Preview = OFF

If that is turned off, the problem goes away. Optionally, you can turn off Photoshop's preference to save icon previews. That also "fixed" it. But since Show Icon Preview is a network hog, and our server software (Xinet) already makes icon previews, we chose to turn that off.

Hope that helps a few folks,

James

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

jpword wrote:

…since Show Icon Preview is a network hog, and our server software (Xinet)…

You're working across a network? 

This is the boilerplate text often used in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else's network remotely, and that's why it's not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See: 

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406793.html

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won't work.   It should.

Adobe's position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it's probably the network's fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can't work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you're on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了        No connection to Adobe, just another end user.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi,

Yep, over a network.

Works fine with "Show Icon Preview" turned off, which is part of Adobe's "normally, it does work" message... but I completly agree with you, if you have sensitive image files, and no backup, you should certainly not work over the network... but many people do and I wanted to share why Photoshop was denying the write with the, "write access was not granted" message. It's because our server respects locks and the Finder had the resource fork locked trying to make its Icon Preview.

Photoshop should detect when that's the case, and avoid the original file from being deleted. The error is fine, and justified. The delete is not.

Thanks,

James

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thanks James!

I will give this a try tomorrow. We ate also on Xinet with a 10gig backbone

working off the network with 2 gig aggregated to the desktops.

Sent from my iPhone

Mark Campbell

Production Technology Director

The Integer Group

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>>> Photoshop should detect when that's the case, and avoid the original file from being deleted. The error is fine, and justified. The delete is not.

We're still working with Apple to determine how that happens, and make sure it gets fixed or we find a way to avoid the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Chris et al,

I am very glad to hear that Adobe are now working on this with Apple. I have to go to a meeting with our users on Friday to discuss with them what progress has been made on fixing this, could you answer a few questions so I am able to give them an update?

- How long have Adobe been working with Apple on this?

- What progress has been made so far?

- Are there any recommended workarounds in the short-term?

- Is there an estimated time to resolve?

- What priority is being given to the issue at both companies?

Also if it helps towards a resolution at all, we have observed that this problem only occurs on certain sharepoints. We have a number of shares that are all hosted on the same Xsan volume, but the error only occurs with files stored on a few of these shares; users who are accessing the other shares never see the problem. I am more than happy to provide any diags that we can to Adobe/Apple regarding these shares.

Many thanks

Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

We've beenn working with Apple on related issues for years.

We recently identified a particular defect in the Apple SMB implementation that can cause a problem like this.  We are attempting to create workarounds in our code (and better error detection), but the core problem is in the MacOS code.

And we never know Apple's priorities.

The only known user workaround is to save on the local disk, then copy to the server.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)

So this issues of 'afpDeletedxxxxxxxxxxx' and 'Write access was not granted' in Photoshop are now happening in my environment.  The users (about 20) have worked off of a Mac Server for 10+ years using Quark, InDesgin, Photoshop, you name it and have never had any issues until the past month or so.  While I understand Adobe's stance on not working off of a server, I have been put in a tough as the system that worked for 10 years suddenly is not longer working consistently.  Try telling someone they have to change the way they have been working for 10 years with no problems until now?  No one is going to like that. 

Here is a little info about the setup and troublehsooting I have tried

• 2 Mac Pro Servers running 10.6.8 - 1 is an OD master, the other is a OD replica which exists only in case of a disaster.  The OD Master replicates its data 4 times a day to the OD replica using Carbon Copy Cloner.  (The replication process has been in place and untouched for 3 years now)  (I know when CCC runs and users have reported the saving issue at times that match up with CCC and times that do not.  I even disabled the replication for a day and it still happened)

• The deisgners are all on Mac Pros purchased within the last three years and all are running 10.6.8 and CS5.5.  As I said the connect via the built in AFP using their Open Directory Credentials using the Open Directory Authentication Attribute.  All the designers have an internal drive dedicated to Time Machine.  I have disabled Time Machine and the issue still happens. 

• The designers are very careful about accessing each others files.  Are the designer's project folders are color coded to alert other designers to stay out.  Other designer's browsing the directory is not the cause.

• There has been no major change in software or hardware in the last 6 months so I cannot attribute that to the file saving issue.

When stuff was changed

CS5.5 and 10.6.8 Deployed in June 2011

OD Master Replaced (Xserve -> Mac Pro) in March 2011

3 New Mac Pros deployed in September 2011

If anyone could shed any light on this issue I cannot tell you how much I would appreciate it.  I can upload logs if requested.  The next step I am likely to take is to bind all the machines to the OD master and implement Kerberos, futile?  Or a good idea?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

There's only one workaround that I have found, and it's a pain. You have to go into Show View Options (Command J) and turn off the preview column.

It's a workaround that I found here with a full explaination of the issue: http://support.grouplogic.com/?p=1664

It works for me, but it's a pain because I have to hit the space bar to view previews, rather than having the finder present one to me. Slower, but safer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Gary,

As an addendum to your mail, we have run some reasonably extensive testing turning off the Finder preview options, but always seem to start seeing the problem again eventually. I would also add that these previews are written to the resource fork (._MyFile.jpg in the same directory for a file named MyFile.jpg) rather than the actual file and should not therefore hold any write lock over the original file.

However, in the last week or so, we seem to be seeing some success (fingers and toes crossed) with turning off the three preview options in Photoshop's own preferences as per the attached image. We've only been running with these off for a short time so no guarantees, but we can only hope.

Adobe Take Note: This would seem to indicate that your software may be holding a write lock on the file in order to write the preview. Please could you examine this section of your code to see if a resolution can be found here?

Dan

Picture 2-10.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Just as a follow on to my previous post and Chris Cox's previous post, I have to say that I am horrified by the lack of helpfulness from Adobe on these issues. The people posting here are not single box copy end users, they are TLP and CLP licensees. My company spend in the region of £20,000 per year with Adobe. I would expect a somewhat less trite response.

I've heard the responses before. I know Adobe don't support working directly off a server. However, that is how large organisations work, it's time you did support it, even if only on a basic level. I'm not asking for support on working over GPRS from a Fuse mounted LTO file system, I'm asking for support on a Mac desktop working from an AFP share hosted by an Xserve on the same LAN and subnet. It's very easy.

I've heard the 'we do more checks' response. It doesn't wash. If that's the case, why don't we see files disappearing with any of the other applications we use, warning or no?

There are some very smart people in this forum, all of whom are willing to help with resolving this. Why do you refuse to engage with us?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

He probably doesn't want to engage with a penguin of doom....

Anyways, I share your concerns, about Mr. Cox's responses however I would like to add that very few of the posts are actually bad mouthing the Adobe software and that (guessing here) 90% of the posters in this forum are coming here to start conversations with others in the same field to work together to find a solution.  I don't think anyone comes here to get a response from an 'Adobe Employee'.

With that being said, I have also implemented your idea about disabling Photoshop's desire to save a preview so we will see how this goes.  Ther user I disabled this for informed me he received the error 15-20 times yesterday.  He went from never to 15/day.  Needless to say this has not been a fun week.  I did also notice that spotlight searching was enabled on my share in Server Admin so I disabled it, did not help at all.

If The Penguin of Dooms idea fails here are my next attempts

Implement NFS for the problem user

Bind his computer to the server and implement Kerberos (long over due anyhow)

Would anyone have any other suggestions?  Thanks for all the help thus far

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

He probably doesn't want to engage with a penguin of doom....

Mwah haw haw

,o)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Dovahkiin27 wrote:

If The Penguin of Dooms idea fails here are my next attempts

Implement NFS for the problem user

Bind his computer to the server and implement Kerberos (long over due anyhow)

We are bound to AD with Kerberos, running Xinet on a RedHat Linux server with a 10gig backbone and 2 gig aggreagated from the clients and while we dont have the issue frequent, we still get it on occasion.  We work on very large files (Bus wraps, Baseball Banners, etc.)  We have turned off the preview for columns, icons, and will give the Photoshop preference of preview generation a try as well next time it happens. Luckily we have told our users about the workaround of duplicating the file in Photoshop and saving it.

The ridiculous part of all of this is afp has been around how long???? And ironically a new version of Photoshop just uncovered an error that has been there supposedly "forever" and previously we just didnt know about it because we didnt have the super special error reporting from Adobe??? I dont think so....Why did our files save before without crashing when we didnt get notified of an error (even if whatever error Adobe is reporting on was happening)???  Isnt that the real issue here? Adobe claims it is reporting on an "error" that is happening on Apple, but perhaps the act of reporting on it is what is causing the issue?  Maybe it is not an error at all, just a change of properties of the file and the reporting of that is what is causing the crash?  Has Adobe thought of this???  This is the kind of feedback I am sure a lot of us would like to hear from Adobe what their answers are and what they have investigated, or are investigating to ensure it is not an Adobe issue, but all we hear from them is "Its complicated.....we report on a lot of our vendors errors"  While that is all good, what are we supposed to do once we have the report?

At any rate, I sure hope they dont change the way files get saved for their other products in the CS suite to "protect us" with error reporting.

BTW we too are a super user of Adobe products and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars with them annually within our Agency Network. So I understand the frustration.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Just as a follow on to my previous post and Chris Cox's previous post, I have to say that I am horrified by the lack of helpfulness from Adobe on these issues.

The annoying thing was the time it took to get the point across that this wasn't an issue with 3rd party server software but with vanilla Mac to Mac OS connections.

This issue is still causing us a lot of problems and due to the large number of images that we handle for ad campaigns it would be a nightmate to deal with the data duplication and the risk that the server version is not the latest version of the images.

I don't know if this is related but we also get a lot of file reading errors in Photoshop if the file metadata is edited.

If you save a PSD and then close it on one Mac and then edit the metadata (using exiftool) from another Mac, the original Mac is then unable to open the file at all -- or can open the file but it's unusable because the image data is disrupted. We have to open and re-save the data from a different Mac before the original machine can re-open the file. [Note that the image was closed before the metadata edit was carried out and sufficient time was left to ensure that that exiftool had completed the edit].

Wonder if this is also the result of Photoshop's super special file handling routines? Certainly never seen this happen with any other software.

--

Martin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>> Adobe Take Note: This would seem to indicate that your software may be holding a write lock on the file in order to write the preview. Please could you examine this section of your code to see if a resolution can be found here?

That's one of the areas we looked at, and that is one of the areas where we found a problem with MacOS file handling on some network protocols.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>>> I've heard the 'we do more checks' response. It doesn't wash. If that's the case, why don't we see files disappearing with any of the other applications we use, warning or no?

I don't know why you don't see it.  We can reproduce such problems fairly often in other apps (and it's annoying as @$%^@#%).

We've been engaging with customers and OS vendors to solve the issue.

But the problem isn't simple, and the majority of what we've found it outside of our control -- but we're still investigating workarounds and improved error checking to detect OS failures.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>> Why did our files save before without crashing

We're not discussing crashes at all here, just files that fail to save correctly.

>> but perhaps the act of reporting on it is what is causing the issue?

Nope.  The error reporting happens after the OS has returned an error.

>> At any rate, I sure hope they dont change the way files get saved for their other products in the CS suite to "protect us" with error reporting.

So you prefer to quietly lose files on the server to actually being informed of the error coming from the OS?  Kind of a "head in the sand" approach to file management?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>> The annoying thing was the time it took to get the point across that this wasn't an issue with 3rd party server software but with vanilla Mac to Mac OS connections.

We've been working on the problem for a long time.  But the most common problem used to be with third party servers.

MacOS changes have made it occur more often on any server using AFP or SMB.

>> I don't know if this is related but we also get a lot of file reading errors in Photoshop if the file metadata is edited.

Not related.  But if you're seeing image corruption like that, then you're looking at a bug in EXIFTool or your network server.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi

For info, my company is primarily PC based with a small percentage of Mac and PC designers to support the rest of the business.

We have a mix of different age Macs, iMacs and MacBooks all running either 10.6 or 10.7 with CS5.

The network share is a NetApp vFiler system and we connect using SMB to ensure the Macs and PC's can connect.

We have no specialised software either on the vFiler or Macs to handle the Macs.

We are experiencing the 'access not granted' issue while trying to save photoshop files and after finding this thread (as someone said it's a goldmine for google search results) I decided I would post my thoughts so here goes:

I agree with Chris that this isn't an Adobe bug as such . We've been running 10.6.8 with CS5 for a while now and had no issues, since upgrading a few machines to 10.7 though the save issue is occuring - that suggests to me that the software isn't causing the issue, but the OS is.

The people running 10.7 are now opening the file, saving locally and copying back to the server.

I've tried making sure that the save preview setting and finder preview panes are turned off, but this hasn't helped.

Thankfully we don't seem to be losing files - I assume this is because Photoshop is bringing up the error message.

We are also running the PC version of CS5 and these users aren't having any such issues saving to the same server - Now I know this thread is about the Mac version of Photoshop, but I'm sure Adobe don't re-invent the wheel when writing their software so even though the language may be different (?) the processes will be the same - again to me this points to an OS issue.

However I do think that Adobe need to work more closely and push Apple harder to get this resolved because the length of time this has been going on simply isn't good enough and as Chris pointed out, "customers don't have visibility into Apple's bug system"

I believe this needs to be Adobe because should we as end users report this to Apple, they'll no doubt tell us this is an Adobe issue.

Until this issue is resolved though, I still don't understand why Photoshop can't be changed to use the same save mechanism as Illustrator, even as an option we can set. We don't have any issues saving Illustrator files and my users would report if they had lost data - believe me. I know that you want to perform your safe save, but it doesn't seem to be working for a good number of people out there and these people are your bread and butter.

Additionally for Chris

Has anyone tested to see if this is just the OS API taking longer to report a successful save and PS timing out? Just a thought.

You keep telling us that you can't replicate these issues in house, would you be able to let us know what your in house setup is? Someone out there may be able to replicate it and run some further testing.

I'm actually supposed to be upgrading our Macs to Lion this weekend. If this goes ahead I know will get some stick over this issue and saying that it's a problem with Adobe and Apple isn't going to appease my users, or their managers.

I am running tests today to see if 10.7.2 works and if so then we'll roll this out instead of 10.7.3 but I am not hopeful.

The other test I am going to try is installing a demo of DAVE and seeing if this makes any difference to the process.

I'll let you know how this goes.

Matt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I can say that we are working as closely with Apple as Apple will let us work on these issues.

Meanwhile we are actively investigating workarounds to avoid the problem.

We can't use the unsafe mechanisms of other apps.

But we can improve the situation, and think we have in CS6.

>> Has anyone tested to see if this is just the OS API taking longer to report a successful save and PS timing out? Just a thought.

We're pretty confident that it is not a timeout, but a failure to move or copy files as the APIs are supposed to.

In house setup: those change day to day, we have hundreds of machines just on this floor, of all varieties. We've tried every combination we can think of.  Somewhere, there is some triggering factor that just isn't obivious.

And you really want 10.7.3 - Apple fixed a LOT of bugs in the latest dot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I've been watching and reading this thread closely for a few months now. We have a small in home business and turned an older Core Duo 2 iMac into a file server running Snow Leopard Server. That's when we ran into the .afpdeleted and write access not granted errors.

This even after having Apple help us set up a share point (they recommend never sharing the drive itself) and making sure the users have full read/write access to that share point. Didn't matter. Still got access errors (didn't have permission to write a file) and .afpdeleted errors. Which made zero sense since Photoshop would throw out either error on a file you've saved with Command+S a few times already with no issue, then all of the sudden you don't have permission to save the same file you've had open all along.

With either issue (.afpdeleted or no permission), the file gets deleted off the server (REALLY stupid!) and you have to remember to save it again immediately.

Running Photoshop configured this way, we never see the .afpDeleted error. This is a good workaround, and would also seem to be fairly conclusive proof that Photoshop is doing something wrong.

The fault could also be Snow Leopard Server, with QuickTime at the server failing to generate a preview, which in turn causes a file creation error.

May I make an observation, but requiring a major update to squash these bugs is a bit harsh.

Not harsh at all, in my opinion. That seems to be Apple's MO lately. They find the problem, but rather than fixing the issue in the current OS, they force you to upgrade to get the fix.

And you really want 10.7.3 - Apple fixed a LOT of bugs in the latest dot.

Not sure if Chris meant the client OS, or the server. Either way, my whole reason for this post is to note that we upgraded the server to Lion 10.7.3. The default came up as a stand alone server rather than open directory. I thought, heck, I'll just try it that first. I set up our share point and assigned our only two users (both on Mac Pros running Snow Leopard 10.6.8) full read/write access.

Now, it's only been up for a week so far, but we haven't seen a single .afpdeleted or no permission error since. It's also a very simple setup for a small business that may not be a feasible fix for a larger company. Who knows, it may have also worked to change SL Server to stand alone rather than open directory. But I'm not going to restore SL Server just to check that. I'll give it at least a couple of more weeks and report on if the problem seems to really be gone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Kurt,

My problem is that I don't have the flexability of going to server 10.7.3.  We are running Windows 2008 with Extremez-IP and my clients are all running 10.6.8 except for two or three macbook airs that were purchased and couldn't be downgraded.

As a larger comapny, I have to evaluate how each OS update is going to affect our workflow, and the loss of Save As in Lion, along with how apple is handing the versioning, gives me pause and I have to see how it interacts with our server and software.

I tend to be about 1 major version of Mac OS behind Apple due to the fact that rolling out a new OS in a company enviornment isn't the simple idealistic thing that Apple believes it is.  Point in fact is that Canon Inc. has finally released drivers for 10.7 for the Canon T1 Rips.  These drivers are so primitive that they don't even have the ability to access the finishing attachments for the printers, so those of my users that are on 10.7 can't collate or staple.

Right now I am between a rock and freaking hard place, I can't update the OS because my drivers don't work, AND with 10.6.8 and Photoshop I get the deleted file bug that this thread is about. 

BTW.. wanna know something more crazy???!!  Only in Photoshop... get this... at some point when someone is working in a file, they do something, and the file is deleted and kicked out to my server, into my Diskkeeper Undelete folder (this piece of software has been my saving grace for years) the users can still get to the file via the "Open Recent"  Drives me up the wall....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

My problem is that I don't have the flexibility of going to server 10.7.3.  We are running Windows 2008 with Extremez-IP...

Oh, no doubt Lion Server is not feasible for all situations. In Apple's usual mode of simplifying their software, they made Lion Server too simple. Which is why I noted: "It's also a very simple setup for a small business that may not be a feasible fix for a larger company." Lots of IT folks have been complaining about the loss of Extremez-IP support and other functions. LS works for me because our need is very simple. We run file sharing and the firewall, nothing else.

As a larger company, I have to evaluate how each OS update is going to affect our workflow, and the loss of Save As in Lion, along with how apple is handing the versioning, gives me pause and I have to see how it interacts with our server and software.

I do that here, also. I'm a rather long time member at Apple's forums, and it's almost comical. Every time a major version of OS X comes out, people are screaming that xxxx stopped working. They use their Mac for their business, and how are they supposed to get work done? Invariably, someone states the obvious. "Uh, you use your Mac for a living, and you jump on a point zero release of an OS without testing it, or have a backup you can restore to get back to your previous state?"

And don't even get me started on the insanity of Versions/Autosave/Duplicate. Absolutely the worst idea I have ever seen for a work OS. My Mac is NOT a gigantic iPad. I will save my data when I want to! Fortunately, so far, only Apple's own apps force the user to use the new paradigm. An app has to be written to use the new functions. And even then, it can be turned off with simple preferences. Note Open Office and Graphic Converter for examples. Why Apple chose not to make this an app by app, or global option defies logic.

Note to Chris Cox: Please, please, pleeeeaaase don't ever release Adobe's software without a way to disable this nonsense.

Right now I am between a rock and freaking hard place, I can't update the OS because my drivers don't work, AND with 10.6.8 and Photoshop I get the deleted file bug that this thread is about.

Yup. I thought my post may be helpful as I am still running 10.6.8 on both Mac Pros with CS 5.5. Only the server was upgraded to Lion and so far (knock on wood), the issue seems to have been solved.

Another one of those forced upgrade fixes is with fonts. I didn't even start using Snow Leopard on a day to day basis until 10.6.3, when they finally had most of the font bugs fixed. And they were awful! 10.6.4 really cleaned up all but one issue. And that was certain fonts with characters that didn't contain outlines, but instead referenced other characters within the font for their shapes. These fonts would show no character for those positions. The same fonts worked in Leopard and earlier, but Apple had to completely rewrite the font engine for Snow Leopard to make it 64 bit. So what happens? Apple finds the problem and fixes it in Lion. Do they apply the same fix to SL, even though they know what it is? NO!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I tried CS6 Beta and the issue is resolved.  No longer getting the "could not save because write access was not granted" error.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Not resolved - it still happpens sometimes due to external factors, but we tried a couple of strategies to minimize it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

So from what I can read above, I can not use my copy of Photoshop 5 on my iMac since I cannot find a way to save any changes I make.  Is that correct?  Which means I have wasted hundreds of dollars in buying Photoshop 5 for my iMac.  So unless I am going to switch to a PC, I should not buy Adobe Photoshop for the Mac.  Will you exchange my Mac copy for a PC copy of Photoshop 5 Extended?  Seems silly but that seems to be the only option unless I want to have all the money invested just going to waste.  I am serious about exchanging the product for a PC version.  Can I do that?  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

carlsbadphotographer wrote:

So from what I can read above, I can not use my copy of Photoshop 5 on my iMac since I cannot find a way to save any changes I make.  Is that correct?

No. That is not correct. The issue discussed above relates to saving to a network. You can still save files to your iMac.

If you want to move to Windows, you can contact Adobe Customer Service and ask for a 'crossgrade'.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I am working on an individual iMac in my apartment.  My photos were on an external drive.  CS5 would not allow me to save the changes I made to the photos as discussed in this thread.  I copied photos to the desktop and then made changes and was able to save the changes to the desktop.  Why will CS5 not let me save directly to the hard drive where the photo originated, when that is where it opened the file from?  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Is it just a normal Firewire or USB drive -- not connected by ethernet nor by wireless but only using a Firewire or USB cable?

If you are not using ethernet or wireless, are the permissions OK? -- do you have write permissions for the file on external?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Provlem solved for us today if anyone is still looking.

We had the same issue working on an iMac connected to a Windows file server. The issue was magically fixed when I joined the iMac to the windows domain. It would appear that photoshop is opening the file using the local user permissions as opposed to the remote user permissions used to connect to the server. When the file is saved, photoshop deletes the file, as stated above, but then can't write the new file to the server as the local permissions do not have permission to write to the server.

I don't know if this is the same issue on xserve, but I am guessing that the core of the problem is the same.

Good Luck

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Adobe Community Professional , May 24, 2012

You can move your Preferences window down on your computer by using the keyboard:

Alt-Space -> M ( -> down-arrow multiple times) -> Enter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Ok, I can 100% reproduce the problem

Here's the pattern I've found:

1. We have a network share in our studio using AFP protocol

2. A coworker creates a photoshop file

3. I then either open - or copy then open - that file.

4. If i then save the file again from Photoshop, I get the dreaded

Could not save “blablabla.psd” because write access was not granted.

and the original file is gone from the filesystem.

5. but only if that file's preview is currently displayed in my Finder's window.

If I click away from the file so that the preview is not visible then it works fine, or if I use a different finder view that doesn't have previews, like the List view, then it is also fine. As soon as I switch back to having the file's preview visible then it happens again.

Additional notes:

* If I manage to go past the step 4 and save successfully (by clicking away from the preview or using a different view), then I can switch back to the preview mode again and no further problem occurs.

* There is no issues if I'm editing one of my own files

So Adobe, is there anything else I can do to help (logs, tracing or what-not) since I can reproduce it at will?

Configuration is:

* Photoshop CS 5 12.1 (has been reported by others with 5.5)

* Lion Client 10.7.3

* Lion Server 10.7.4

* AFP Share with working ACL layer on top (User based permissions, full control)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

That particular problem we think we have a handle on (or at least have documented the bug well enough that Apple should be able to fix it).

We tried some work arounds for it in CS6 (to avoid deleting files and recover more gracefully).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Ahh, thanks Chris. Hadn't realised it was covered (so much noise around it).

Is Apple giving any ETA?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

We can't talk about Apple's bug status too much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Right-o.

Thanks for the update

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

yet another ben,

There a couple things you can do to get some data on what is happening:

1. Run fs_usage to get the file system calls as they are happening

Run it from the Terminal when you are done with the operation Ctrl-C will stop output

This first one might be a bit noisy but will get everything (-w is for Wide so nothing is truncated)

sudo fs_usage -w -f filesys

This one will only spit out lines containing Phtoshop (case insensitive) but who knows might miss some other interaction with Finder:

sudo fs_usage -w -f filesys | grep -i Photoshop

It'd be best if you can quit all other apps so the file system calls are only from Finder and Photoshop

2. You could also try Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities, find Photoshop in the process list, double click to get info on the process, there is a Sample button that will do a call graph of all function calls by Photoshop for about 10 seconds after you press it, click it then quickly do the save operation. The data might be interesting to see here, however will probably be quite lengthy so a zip of the files is probably better than a long post

3. Once you have this data, and you done a great job with steps to repeat is file this bug as quickly as possible with Apple and then try and get as many other people to file it, start a campaign!

To file a bug report with Apple you register as a developer (free), here's all the info:

https://developer.apple.com/support/resources/bug-reporting.html

ALSO post the same bug report at Open Radar, this has the affect of getting it noticed and others can also light a fire under Apple to fix it:

http://openradar.appspot.com

Apple's Bug Reporter is sort of a "black hole" in that you can't see if there are similar bugs that have been filed, and they don't always give you feedback, sometimes a "Duplicate Bug" or asking for more info, so that's why Adobe can't comment, because they probably don't have any info on the status of the bug either (although techinically a bug report is under NDA). Apple always contends that its the volume of reports that matter and that will get its attention. 10.7.5 will probably be the last 10.7 release and it's in its 2nd beta so this really is the last hope of getting it fixed in 10.7! Otherwise if they do fix it, it will be in 10.8, just as Adobe has perhaps fixed it, but only for CS6 (not CS 5.5), so if you want it fixed without requiring an update of either OS or CS, file that bug and publicize it. I found a nasty Finder ACL duplication bug and was actually able to get it fixed in 10.6.8, even though it was fixed in 10.7, because I made a stink in my blog, had others mention it in theirs, filed a bug with Apple and open radar as well, so it can be done! Hope you can do the same! Good luck!

Joel Bruner

aka brunerd

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

All  solutions, theories or speculations about a fix are a complete waste of time. I do find it entertaining to read some of them, but a total waste of effort on everyone's part. There is no .plist file to delete or preference to tweak. This is an Adobe problem with how Photoshop opens files from a network drive and a problem that came with the latest Creative Suite 5.5 version. I have been using Photoshop for 20 years and have been working directly from an Apple server over a network for the last 10, and NEVER had a problem until I upgraded to Creative Suite 5.5.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and stop trying to come up with a fix. It's Adobe's problem, not Apple's. Apple may have changed the way it communicates from a Mac to a Server but Adobe must adapt to it. Adobe knows that the bulk of Photoshop users are on a Mac, so they need to get over themselves and fix their product.

For those just checking in, here is a horribly un-technical explanation of the problem and a work-around.

Photoshop opens a file into your RAM. The file that is left behind is an empty shell with all but a few bits of data left in it, one of them being the file size and modification stamp. When you or another network user clicks a file, especially in column view, Apple's OS generates a preview. This preview changes the resource data of the empty file that Photoshop leaves behind, and when you attempt to save the file, Photoshop freaks out and provides you with the error and ultimately nukes said empty file from the server, leaving only the RAM version. You can hit save again and re-save the file, but sometimes that isn't done and the file is lost.

The solution, TURN OFF THE PREVIEW COLUMN. By turning off Apple's ability to generate a preview, you are effectively solving the problem. Yes, I admit it's annoying and somewhat difficult to work with, but that's the way it has to be for now. To turn off the preview, go to 'Show View Options' under the 'View' menu and uncheck the 'Show Preview Column' check box. This will disable the preview for the file when in column view, thus preventing other network users or even yourself from creating a preview of an open Photoshop file.

This solution has eliminated all errors for my  company, as it's pretty rare to have two people attempt to preview or open the same Photoshop file, so for us, this issue is resolved until Adobe fixes the issue for real.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

garymason wrote:

Photoshop opens a file into your RAM. The file that is left behind is an empty shell with all but a few bits of data left in it,

That is absolutely incorrect.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Noel Carboni wrote:

garymason wrote:

Photoshop opens a file into your RAM. The file that is left behind is an empty shell with all but a few bits of data left in it,

That is absolutely incorrect.

-Noel

I did say that this was horribly un-technical. I'm a designer, not a software engineer.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

No worries, but oversimplifying something to the point where it's actually wrong doesn't really help even non-technical people.

I don't claim to understand the Apple bug that causes this problem, but I do know that just opening a file in Photoshop does NOTHING to the original file, even though the file contents are loaded into a document in RAM.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Gary - one person had a problem related to the open/save dialog and possibly the plist file, hence the discussion a few days ago.

Others have problems related to Finder and other processes holding onto the files.

And others still seem to run into the MacOS file system bug when saving to file servers without other obvious processes accessing the files.

None of these are Photoshop bugs.

Adobe can work around Apple's bugs sometimes, but Apple is responsible for fixing Apple's bugs.

Many times, Apple's bugs are in low level parts of the OS that cannot be worked around.

>> Photoshop opens a file into your RAM...

That entire paragraph is incorrect. Really, really, seriously incorrect.

Photoshop just reads the file, and does not modify it in any way when reading it. Your file is only modified when writing over the file, and that is the time when the OS file system bug causes problems on file servers.  Photoshop CS6 tries to work around this and make sure that your original file remains intact despite the file system errors (which we can't entirely avoid).

>> The solution, TURN OFF THE PREVIEW COLUMN.

No, that is incorrect.

That will reduce the occurrance, but not solve the underlying file system problem.

Other users can be browsing the folder, the OS can be generating thumbnails or metadata, or other system activity can still trigger the file system problem.

>> the bulk of Photoshop users are on a Mac,

That is also quite incorrect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I can verify that turning off desktop previews is not the issue. It doesn't matter if you're in icon, list or column view. Turning desktop previews on or off has no effect on how frequently the permissions or .afpdeleted errors occur. They remain pretty much the same.

I did try out the idea that maybe a space in the server name (the share point name) was possibly an issue. I changed the name of the share point from Server Files to ServerFiles. Believe it or not, just doing this has drastically cut down how often we see either of these errors. So far, only once since changing the name, whereas it used to happen at least a dozen times a day.

This using Lion Server, 10.7.4. Can't check to see if is has any effect on Snow Leopard Server.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have the previews turned off and have for over 3 months, and I haven't had this issue since. It may not be the ultimate cause of the issue, but it does prevent me from getting the error and potentially losing files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

That, sadly, is part of what makes all of this so frustrating. What works for one person or group, doesn't work for everyone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Hi Chris. I think I may have this figured out. My first hint was in this thread (see my last post in that thread). Reinstalling the OS after the Adobe suite fixed the issue with capturing video. It was after that when I realized the .afpdeleted issue also disappeared. As did desktop icons not being created.

What it appears to be is that the installation of any Adobe suite (or single app) is damaging something related to QuickTime. Only a reinstall of the OS fixes it. I waited quite a while to post this as I was trying to test as much as possible, but the results bear it out.

What I did was use a spare partition to install various versions of OS X, the CS5 Creative Suite, CS5.5 Production Suite, CS6 Master Collection and CS6 Photoshop by itself (from a stand alone package). Yes, I spent days of testing on this. In all cases, I first erased the target drive and installed either Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion. I then applied all available updates. So we're talking squeaky clean OS. Using various apps supplied with OS X, I could not get it to fault on creating icons either on a local drive or our server.

I then installed one of the CS items mentioned above and any of its updates. Immediately afterwards, icons would not be created for all files; a QuickTime function. As before, permission and .afpdeleted messages occasionally appeared while using Photoshop, which deletes the active image from the server. All on a completely, cleanly reinstalled drive. The fix is to reinstall the OS and its updates after installing any of the Adobe packages. The .afpdeleted messages are gone, and icons are always created.

This is completely repeatable with Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain using any of the Adobe packages mentioned. Install the Adobe software, errors return. Reinstall the OS, errors are gone. There is one that doesn't go away depending on what Adobe software you install. You also cannot fix this by simply reinstalling the stand alone QuickTime software update. So it goes like this:

Any version of OS X (10.6.x through 10.8.x) and any CS5 or CS5.5 suite: The .afpdeleted messages are gone. Icons are always correctly created. Permissions errors which delete the file being saved still occur, so this has to be related to the Adobe software somehow.

Any version of OS X (10.6.x through 10.8.x) and any CS6 software: The .afpdeleted and permissions errors are gone. I've been working this way in Snow Leopard with the CS6 Master Collection for about three weeks now, and haven't seen these messages once! The only one that pops up occasionally is Photoshop telling me that the file has been changed since the last save, do you still want to save the file? Well, of course. That was me who did the last save.

In short, it appears to be all related to QuickTime being broken by the installation of the Adobe apps. At least for the .afpdeleted and icon issues. Permissions errors remain a problem with the CS5 and CS5.5 apps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

>> Permissions errors which delete the file being saved still occur, so this has to be related to the Adobe software somehow.

That is a known Apple file system bug related to the resource fork.

So is the .afpdeleted message.

Also, icons being created for files is not part of QuickTime, but part of the OS metadata parsing -- seperate components.  The OS only calls QuickTime for icons if the file is a video file.

We'll investigate -- but we're pretty careful about what we write, and not to touch the OS components.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines