• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the above error when working off of my xserve in photoshop. It is new in CS5 which we have recently upgraded to. Several people at my office are getting it. Sometimes it displays a random name with afp in front of it (I assume it is the temp name when photoshop is swapping out the new file for the old file.) It only seems to happen with psd and psb files. I have write access to the volume in question and it doesn't matter if I am the only one accessing the folder or not. I can save as and it seems to work; but it does delete the file.

Very frustrating. Anybody have any ideas? My IT guys are struggling with it, and one of them used to work on the Flash team as well as at Apple.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Hi everyone,

The recent Mac OS X 10.8.4 released yesterday has specifically named the following fix:

• Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

referenced from this Apple KB article. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

If you are still experiencing this issue, please update to 10.8.4 and then re-test in your environment. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

The KB article also mentions this fix:

• A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files mad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 492 Replies 492
Engaged ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris. I think I may have this figured out. My first hint was in this thread (see my last post in that thread). Reinstalling the OS after the Adobe suite fixed the issue with capturing video. It was after that when I realized the .afpdeleted issue also disappeared. As did desktop icons not being created.

What it appears to be is that the installation of any Adobe suite (or single app) is damaging something related to QuickTime. Only a reinstall of the OS fixes it. I waited quite a while to post this as I was trying to test as much as possible, but the results bear it out.

What I did was use a spare partition to install various versions of OS X, the CS5 Creative Suite, CS5.5 Production Suite, CS6 Master Collection and CS6 Photoshop by itself (from a stand alone package). Yes, I spent days of testing on this. In all cases, I first erased the target drive and installed either Snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion. I then applied all available updates. So we're talking squeaky clean OS. Using various apps supplied with OS X, I could not get it to fault on creating icons either on a local drive or our server.

I then installed one of the CS items mentioned above and any of its updates. Immediately afterwards, icons would not be created for all files; a QuickTime function. As before, permission and .afpdeleted messages occasionally appeared while using Photoshop, which deletes the active image from the server. All on a completely, cleanly reinstalled drive. The fix is to reinstall the OS and its updates after installing any of the Adobe packages. The .afpdeleted messages are gone, and icons are always created.

This is completely repeatable with Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain using any of the Adobe packages mentioned. Install the Adobe software, errors return. Reinstall the OS, errors are gone. There is one that doesn't go away depending on what Adobe software you install. You also cannot fix this by simply reinstalling the stand alone QuickTime software update. So it goes like this:

Any version of OS X (10.6.x through 10.8.x) and any CS5 or CS5.5 suite: The .afpdeleted messages are gone. Icons are always correctly created. Permissions errors which delete the file being saved still occur, so this has to be related to the Adobe software somehow.

Any version of OS X (10.6.x through 10.8.x) and any CS6 software: The .afpdeleted and permissions errors are gone. I've been working this way in Snow Leopard with the CS6 Master Collection for about three weeks now, and haven't seen these messages once! The only one that pops up occasionally is Photoshop telling me that the file has been changed since the last save, do you still want to save the file? Well, of course. That was me who did the last save.

In short, it appears to be all related to QuickTime being broken by the installation of the Adobe apps. At least for the .afpdeleted and icon issues. Permissions errors remain a problem with the CS5 and CS5.5 apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Permissions errors which delete the file being saved still occur, so this has to be related to the Adobe software somehow.

That is a known Apple file system bug related to the resource fork.

So is the .afpdeleted message.

Also, icons being created for files is not part of QuickTime, but part of the OS metadata parsing -- seperate components.  The OS only calls QuickTime for icons if the file is a video file.

We'll investigate -- but we're pretty careful about what we write, and not to touch the OS components.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I erased a drive 12 times and installed one OS, and one Adobe package to test each combination without attempting to uninstall anything in between. The results are perfectly repeatable. Install the Adobe software, icons break and .afpdeleted issues are introduced. Reinstall the OS after the Adobe software, and it's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt Lang wrote:

The only one that pops up occasionally is Photoshop telling me that the file has been changed since the last save, do you still want to save the file? Well, of course. That was me who did the last save.

My understanding is that this means some part of the OS has modified the file since the last save YOU did, which is alarming (and it says that OSX is pretty cavalier about touching users' files).  But apparently that's been tracked down to leaving a Finder window open showing the file you're editing while you're editing it.  See if closing whatever Finder window you have open eliminates those.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, Noel. But that one doesn't concern me since there's only two of us on the server at any time (small company ) and I know I'm the only one working on that image. Mostly though, it's not a critical error since that one doesn't cause a file to be deleted, just makes you say, "Huh?".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kind of surprised that all of your efforts would seemingly be dismissed outof hand...makes one wonder if the purpose of this site is to solve problems or not

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand Chris' position. I'm sure he and Adobe's engineers have grappled with this until they're sick to death of it. But 12 times with the same result sure points to something.

I should clarify "broken icons". By that, when they aren't working correctly, about one in every thirty saves of a file out of Photoshop will not get an image thumbnail. It will instead have a generic Photoshop icon for a .psd, .tif or whatever. You can usually resave the file and then it will get a thumbnail desktop image. After reinstalling the OS, this issue stops.

I've worked on hundreds of images the past few weeks, saving mostly to our server (running Lion 10.7.4) and to the local drive. Every file gets a thumbnail icon. With CS6, I have yet to see another .afpdeleted or permissions denied message, which as everyone knows results in the file being deleted from the server.

I purposely waited to post my findings because I didn't want to throw it out on the first try without seeing if different versions of OS X or Adobe packages behaved differently. Chris may of course be also quite correct that QuickTime isn't directly the issue. I've just read in the past (long ago) that it was QuickTime's job to created the desktop thumbnail image. That and the obvious fix it had (seemingly) directly related to QuickTime in the issue I was having in Premiere Pro.

Don't anyone get me wrong. I love Adobe's software and make a pretty good living with it. As I noted in the Premiere Pro thread, Adobe's suite is everything Apple's editing software hopes to be when it grows up. When I switched from the Final Cut Studio software to the Adobe Production Suite, the output quality and overall easier use of Adobe's software was so drastically better, I wish I had started with it.

My purpose is to help find a solution to this issue, not berate Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> With CS6, I have yet to see another .afpdeleted or permissions denied message, which as everyone knows results in the file being deleted from the server.

Yeah, we've been trying to work around the known OS bugs and add more safety and error handling to our code.  But Apple added yet another server related bug in 10.8.

QuickTime was used as a file translater back in the OS 9 days, and maybe even early OS X.  But I don't think that's been the case for many years.

As I said: we'll investigate, but I'm really not sure how what you describe could be possible.  It's almost like the OS changes behavior when Adobe apps are installed, despire our attempts to not mess with the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Apple added yet another server related bug in 10.8.

Surprise, surprise! Glad we can't even take our iMac being used as the server past 10.7.x, I might have been tempted to update it.

QuickTime was used as a file translator back in the OS 9 days, and maybe even early OS X.  But I don't think that's been the case for many years.

Ah! So it has changed since then. Well, I did say I read that a long time ago.

As I said: we'll investigate, but I'm really not sure how what you describe could be possible.  It's almost like the OS changes behavior when Adobe apps are installed, despite our attempts to not mess with the OS.

Yes, it's definitely weird, but also very repeatable. Who knows, the installation of the Adobe apps may be unintentionally doing something as simple as altering the permissions of an OS component that causes the problem, and Disk Utility's Repair Permissions doesn't set it back. Wish I had the ability to look deeper, but I can only report the cause and effect I observed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kurt,

Since you have been so meticulous in your installations - how about doing it one more time?

This time however run logGen before and after, it will create a text file of all files accessed, created, and modified

http://macosx.thebluebus.nl/tools/loggen

This might shed light on what files are being modified outside /Applications/Adobe* and /Library/Application Support/ Adobe, etc...

(although from my experience I haven't seen CSx go into /System, they do put stuff in /Library: LaunchDaemons, LaunchAgents, ScriptingAdditions, PDF Services, Logs/Adobe, Preferences/Fonts, and Automator)

Like Chris said, Quicktime doesn't handle Icon creation, if anything that's a function of Finder (or Desktop Services) writing to the resource fork of a file if that folder has "show icon preview" turned on, that setting is written to the infamous .DS_Store files. I could see a conflict there, if Finder is attempting to read and write to the resource fork of a file while it is being written to by an Adobe app that is also trying to write an icon preview to the resource fork.

Anyway maybe give logGen a shot and see what you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! If I had know about that little utility, I would have already done it. Not sure when I'll get my next chance to play with this, but it shouldn't be long. I'll erase and install Snow Leopard and its updates, then do a baseline log. Follow that by installing the CS6 Master Collection and its updates (I won't bother to activate it), then do a comparison log. Finally, reinstall SL and its updates and do a second comparison log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. Actually, I skipped the log between the initial install of SL and CS6 since the only thing we were really interested in were files that changed again after reinstalling the OS. To make sure checksum values wouldn't be changed by installing things in a different order, when I reinstalled SL, I applied all updates in exactly the same order as the initial install.

No surprise, there's a lot of cache data that was either changed or new. Also a lot of installation receipts. But that's also really nothing since the OS tosses or updates a lot of that stuff on a reinstall. Doesn't mean a whole lot to me otherwise looking through the change log, but here's the text file for anyone who's interested. A very small .zip file will download when you click on the link. The only thing it contains is the .txt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that ColorSync is creating temporary profiles on your system: /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/CG243W-000015C3-0000-2090-0000-000070C82400.icc

Do you have a display calibrator that changes the profile all the time (like huey's in response to ambient light changes)?

I see an Apple updater writing a lot.

But Adobe's just writing GLSL temp files, and a few logs (/private/tmp/)

The updater or OS do update some cache files (/Library/Caches/com.apple.Components2.LocalCache.QuickTimeComponents, /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.Components2.SystemCache.QuickTimeComponents)

And the updater or OS reset a lot of plist files, and /var/db files that I don't know the purpose of.

What is interesting is /private/var/folders/CX/CXfEN29QGWq+RcH2FgSVik+++TI/-Caches-/com.apple.QuickLook.thumbnailcache/

But is that from thumbnails being added, or the OS resetting the database?

I wonder if some of the thumbnail issues could be due to a corrupt SQLlite database for the thumbnails?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a display calibrator that changes the profile all the time (like huey's in response to ambient light changes)?

I do use ColorNavigator, which is supplied with EIZO monitors, but I only create fixed profiles with it, and store them in the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ folder. The one you see in the Displays folder is the profile OS X automatically retrieves from the monitor's firmware. As I'm sure you know, you can't stop it from doing that, I just don't use them. Why they get these ridiculously long names, I couldn't tell you.

The updater or OS do update some cache files (/Library/Caches/com.apple.Components2.LocalCache.QuickTimeComponents , /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.Components2.SystemCache.QuickTimeComponents)

And the updater or OS reset a lot of plist files, and /var/db files that I don't know the purpose of.

I was looking for anything to do with QuickTime, also. They're both supposedly just cache files, but any trashed cache file, unless cleared, can cause problems every day it exists. Not sure why a reinstall of the OS would change them. Installing the CS6 suite changed them somehow, and the OS reinstall did something to change them again? Hard to say since cache files tend to change constantly by their very nature anyway.

Also noticed the seemingly unusual amount of updated .plist files. I was mostly surprised to see how many .plist files were in the hidden /private/var folder. Especially ones with names virtually identical to user account .plist files. Such as AddressBook.

What is interesting is /private/var/folders/CX/CXfEN29QGWq+RcH2FgSVik+++TI/-Caches-/com.appl e.QuickLook.thumbnailcache/

But is that from thumbnails being added, or the OS resetting the database?

I wonder if some of the thumbnail issues could be due to a corrupt SQLlite database for the thumbnails?

That is a great catch! I overlooked that one. You may be onto something there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a hopeless non-techie but I have to look up this error since I had to have a new hard drive fitted to my MacBook Pro. As I had to re upload my PS which was CS4 extended I updated to CS6 on line with Adobe. I was unable to save any jpg or ps images on my external hard drive I just had the error message as mentioned.

I downloadedTuxera NTFS for Mac trial version and everything worked as it should. That has now run out and I will have to pay for it. So before paying out for something that I should not have to buy I scoured the net once more and came upon this conversation.

I found that I could not follow instructions to go to View-turn off preview but found similar in Bridge under Window then unticked Preview Panel. I proceeded to save both types of files to the external drive. I then decided to join this forum to add my piece of knowledge. I was then asked by Adobe to install an update to join. Since I have done this turning off the Preview Panel is not helping and I am getting the error message once more.

So my question is: What does Tuxera NTFS know that all you high tech and Adobe do not know?

Pauline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PAULINE OLIVER wrote:

What does Tuxera NTFS know that all you high tech and Adobe do not know?

According to its web page it knows how to write Windows NTFS formatted disks from a Mac.  Is that what format your external disk is?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Noel for such a prompt reply. I would not have known if it is or not. All I know is that I had no trouble saving to it before the new hard drive installation/ upgraded PS. So by what you are saying if I formatted my ex.HD it would save to it ok? If so why has it changed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying anything - I asked you a question.  Be aware that formatting a disk risks losing all data stored on that disk, so don't do anything without being sure of what you're doing.

Since Tuxera NTFS knows how to access NTFS volumes, it may be that your external HD is NTFS formatted.  You need to check.

Did you format the disk at some point while running Tuxera NTFS?

I know some external hard drives come from the store formatted for use with Windows, since the PC market is larger than Mac.  You really need to educate yourself a little bit on how to manage disks and data, since I'm sure that with the right formatting and permissions Macs can in general access external hard drives without a 3rd party program like Tuxera NTFS.

Unfortunately, while knowledgeable about computers I'm not a Mac expert, so the detail on how to do that is beyond my ability to advise.  Hopefully someone familiar with OSX and exactly what to look for will wade in here and advise you how to check what format your hard drive is, and possibly also how to check your permissions settings.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries Noel I am not about to format my ex.HD as I have so much important data on it. I just cannot understand that it has been used with my Mac and PS4 extended with no problem until the upgrade to PS6 and a new MacBook hard drive.

Pauline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pauline, I'll assume that you maintain at least two backups of all valuable files on the drive. Are you aware that you can reformat the drive to an Apple file system and restore its files from one of your backups? Unless you need to write to that drive with a Windows computer then it would be better formatted with Apple's HFS+ Journaled file system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conroy. Yes I do save and use from both formatts. Do you think it would be any good to phone Adobe next week?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PAULINE OLIVER wrote:

Thank you Conroy. Yes I do save and use from both formatts. Do you think it would be any good to phone Adobe next week?

Sorry, I've absolutely no idea whether a phone call to Adobe will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was very nicely put, Conroy.  I'm proud of you.

Based on recent anecdotal evidence of what other people are getting out of Adobe Customer Support, that is a VERY good question.

Pauline, you might want to consult with an Apple Genius.  It sounds as if maybe you have problems more basic than Photoshop with your setup.  You might just be able to take your external drive to an Apple Store, if taking all the computer hardware is unweildy.  Disclaimer:  The only thing I've been to an Apple Store and consulted with an Apple Genius for was a defective iPhone, which they fixed by replacing it, so I don't know whether they're really at IQ 140 or just have the tee shirt.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> just have the tee shirt.

yeah, that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Noel noted, Tuxera NTFS allows you to write to NTFS formatted drives. Something OS X cannot do by itself, it can only read. If your external drive is formatted for Mac, then Tuxera won't do anything for you regarding the drive.

By PS4, can I assume you mean PS CS4? Version 4 would be a very old version of Photoshop, which cannot run on any Intel based Mac under OS X. But yes, the issue of .afpdeleted and permissions denied messages appeared with CS5 and forward. That's why you don't see that behavior with CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines