• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the above error when working off of my xserve in photoshop. It is new in CS5 which we have recently upgraded to. Several people at my office are getting it. Sometimes it displays a random name with afp in front of it (I assume it is the temp name when photoshop is swapping out the new file for the old file.) It only seems to happen with psd and psb files. I have write access to the volume in question and it doesn't matter if I am the only one accessing the folder or not. I can save as and it seems to work; but it does delete the file.

Very frustrating. Anybody have any ideas? My IT guys are struggling with it, and one of them used to work on the Flash team as well as at Apple.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Hi everyone,

The recent Mac OS X 10.8.4 released yesterday has specifically named the following fix:

• Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

referenced from this Apple KB article. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

If you are still experiencing this issue, please update to 10.8.4 and then re-test in your environment. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

The KB article also mentions this fix:

• A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files mad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 492 Replies 492
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pauline

The issue for this whole Marketing company is no-one can save Photoshop files repeatedly to a Netwrok disk.

You are saving to a external disk which sounds very different from the issue I described.

Photoshop saves locally or Direct Attached Storage with no problems.

Thanks and Regards

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Sorry. I just thought that it was the same issue. Best of luck.

Regards

Pauline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What this Adobe / Apple issue appears to be is the way Photoshop differs from InDesgin and AI which use a network file locking system that creates a lock file on the server.

Why is Photoshop locking system completely different and will it ever be link In Desgin or AI ADOBE ?

This would make the product more stable when saving to Network volumes with Mac OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a known MacOS bug that Apple said was fixed in MacOS 10.9.

Also, Photoshop CC added several workarounds to avoid such a problem from deleting files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris, sadly NO.

This error occurs in Adobe CC, Mavericks 10.9 - 10.9.1 and 10.9.2 (I have a developer account).

Its much more promenant with Mac OS Finder icon preview checked in Finder > Show View Options.

Indesign and AI do not do this !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have an update for you if you are osing OS X we have tested further with an NFS mount and it does not break Photoshop when using Finder previews in Column, List or Icon view.

We have reached one of these conclusions :

ACL's dont help this re-writing of photoshop temp files, it may prefer POSIX permissions.

AFP and SMB are slower than NFS on a mac by a huge factor.

We will do further tests in this company and consider using NFS servers going forwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I safe to say that using a NAS with exfat file system, I won't have the same issue as what I have on a SBS2011 server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stuarta99,

I don't think it's "safe" to say anything beyond Adobe Photoshop supports saving by a single user on a local file system.

When we were having an issue with Xinet and this Photoshop issue we had our account rep get us a "Gold Level" engineering chat. As of summer of 2013 Adobe engineers will still tell you that working local is the only way to ensure error free saving of files. And when asked whether switching to SMB over the current AFP, if that would reduce errors, it was made known that SMB would most likely have more issues than AFP! They signed us up for a couple CC accounts to see if that it behaved better, since the CC line was getting more updates than CS6 at that point. But to truly test this I needed more licenses and folks able to test. We are finally rolling out CC to a couple hundred folks next week -- so we'll see if PS CC is any better, but I don't recall seeing "NEW! Network file saving" in the feature list anywhere!

So for a catchy memorable slogan: "Save local, move global"... er, something like. It's not the answer any of us want, but at least they've been consistent with that stance, network saving has never been "supported" (although I don't know how explicit they are in telling people that up front). Your mileage (as with all of us) may vary!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must correct myself! I did a 2nd check of the features page. Amazingly, they do mention network drives!? However only for the use of linked Smart Objects not Saving... but it seems a slippery slope to encourage the use of files on the network for linking but not saving!

Photoshop effects | Adobe Photoshop CC - Features

NEW Linked Smart Objects

Improve collaboration and work more efficiently. Use linked Smart Objects that reference files stored on your local system or network drive, and thus can be repurposed across multiple Photoshop documents. You get smaller files and save hard-disk space as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I can confirm that the latest Photoshop CC (internal version 14.2.1) does have a number of fixes that are better than Photoshop CS6 in regard to network saving.  Be sure to choose Help -> Updates to get the latest version of Photoshop CC. If you are on Mac OS X, please be sure to at least be running 10.8.5 as there were also network save fixes at the OS level that will help customers.

If you are still having trouble with the latest version and network saving please start a new thread with the specifics of your configuration. This thread is quite long and has a long history and we can help you further that way.

Thanks,

Jeff Sass - Adobe Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, I started a new thread.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7413047#7413047

Anyone find a fix to this issue yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt - what you are describing is the Finder Preview is holding the file open, and Photoshop cannot save over it.  This is a known problem with the MacOS Finder, which is supposed to be improved in MacOS 10.9.

And this is just a case of Photoshop doing more error checking and reporting than other applications (because we've seen cases where users lost their work due to similar issues in the past).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you mean improved in MacOS Server 10.9, ‘cause there is no improvement in Mavericks 10.9.2 client for me.

We are on a Windows Server 2012, and files still locked by preview. If anything it is worse ins Mavericks.

Perhaps it is improved for MacOS Server 10.9, but not for me.

(We used to have 5 Xserve XSANs, but no more hardware support from Apple, and we are too big to pretend that a mini or a MacPro are “real” servers)

[ turn off your siganture, unless you really like SPAM ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't actually get all the details on what Apple changed.  We know about several specific bugs, but in other areas Apple just says "improved".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bretperry and Chris

There are no improvments on this particular issue with OS X 10.9.2 finder and Adobe Photoshop doing its 'error checking' thing.

We are also on the Mac developer program reading the release notes on OS X there are some graphical improvements mainly new kext files to speed up graphics delivery to the display.

I wonder who can improve this situation, do we approach this from both sides ie submit feature requests to Apple radar as a bug report and also request Adobe develops the same file system as indesign implemented to Photoshop in future releases?

This is a real blunder for major desgin houses as Finder previews are essential to work flow.

Lets try and be creative about resolving this issue Apple / Adobe please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2014 Mar 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless we can find a reproducible case, we can't do much with a RADAR report.

We've sent dozens to Apple about similar issues - and they have fixed some of the bugs, and we've worked around others.

The first thing to do is verify that no applications have the file open -- frequently we find that other apps (InDesign, Quark, Finder, FinalCut) do have the files open, in which case you want to file a bug against those applications for holding the file open when they shouldn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2014 Mar 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can provide a reproducable case. How about this.

Any two macs on OSX 10.9.2. On mac one enable file sharing SMB / AFP, public folder.

On mac two open photoshop create a file with a square shape or image placed on one layer. On Mac two connect to server - Mac one public folder and Save this photoshop file to Mac one - public folder. Everything should be fine at this stage.

On mac two create a photoshop action that rotates the shape / image and then does a save file. Next open finder and make sure Finder column view is enabled with icon preview and that you have connected Mac one publicfolder in view.

On mac two repeatdly hit the action play button whilst viewing the icon preview. You may be able to save it between 1-50 times before the file is deleted and error appears.

could not save because write access was not granted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2014 Mar 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris et al,

My name is Adam and I am in charge of the network at our design agency. We have run across this issue several times and I wanted some clarification as to steps I should take and what I can relay to my team.

In our office, we are running a Linux Server based on Debian which shares its RAID 10 array via SMB using SAMBA. Two client machines seem to get this issue more than others and it is quite frustrating for them. They are both on Macs. However, in the past we have had two other servers which were Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2, respectively. In both cases ExtremeZ-IP was used in the Windows server for hosting. The issue happened on those servers as well. And it also happened on another distribution of Linux (Mint--also Debian-based) that was used for testing the use of a Linux server in our environment before we finally migrated over to the new Debian server.

We use user name and password authentication on this server. However, I am absolutely positive we do not have a permissions issue. All members of the group have Read/Write permissions and this is enforced with bindfs in case any stray files should get into the shared folder. Bindfs essentially 'mounts' the folder you wish and enforces whatever permissions you would like. The only bit not changed is the original owner, but this doesn't matter as all members of the share group have the ability to write to all files owned by anyone else.

I would like to confirm the following things so I can take the appropriate actions (I have read the entire thread, but I want to make some things clear):

1) The issue can/does occur regardless of the type of server used (Mac, Windows, etc)

2) The issue can/does occur no matter what sharing protocol is used (AFP/NFS/SMB)

3) The issue can/does occur only (or mostly?) when the Finder Panel is open (possibly only when the file in question is selected)

4) The issue will cease or occur less frequently with previewing turned off -or- if a user does not select the item in finder or does not have finder open

As I have already confirmed the following:

1) Occurs on Linux Servers with SMB

2) Occurs on Linux Servers with AFP

3) Occurs on Windows Servers with SMB

It is quite a frustrating issue to deal with. I am not blaming you and I am not blaming Adobe. I am a programmer (that is my primary role here) and I am aware that you simply do not have control over every interaction you make with the OS or other thing you are interfacing with.

That said, I must do what I can to make my team happy. I had considered moving to NFS until I read reports by some that the OS and protocol of the server do not even matter. If this is the case, I would like to be able to verify this so that my team is aware that 1) Adobe is aware of the issue and 2) The issue is caused by OS X and 3) The issue will not be fixed by moving to another Server with a different OS / Sharing Protocol.

Thank you Chris for your help with this issue and the work you put into the Adobe Product Line.

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2014 Mar 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you (and Matt) are describing sound exactly like the Finder previews are holding the files in the folder open when they should not be.

If that is the case, then the file server protocol would not matter -- the Finder is going to keep the files locked, regardless of the server type.

Yes, we are aware of this problem with the Finder, but haven't been able to reproduce it repeatably enough for Apple to investigate (they keep kicking it back as "can't reproduce").

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Yes. I just got to the office this morning and tested the Finder Preview bug. It is indeed the Finder holding the file open. I reproduced it over, and over, and over, and over again. It seems to only happen when the file is selected (ie generating a preview).

So I can relay to my team that, so long as they do not have a preview open, they can save just fine. I was a bit worried that we might have a server issue or that maybe permissions were changing somehow before bindfs could correct them (although that's terribly unlikely--bindfs is a bit slow, but not that slow, and the permissions of all files start the same, bindfs is just there to ensure they never change).

I am not terribly familiar with Macs, but as a Linux admin I do have working knowledge of all UNIX/UNIX-Like/POSIX systems. This brings me great relief because while the Linux server sorted out a lot of things that the Windows (bleh) server had problems with, this bug persisted. To my knowledge, we never lost any files like some have noted. This may be because everyone here either tries again, or saves to the Desktop and then manually copies over the file on the server. I am really not sure because I had tons of problems repeating the issue.

Thank you,

I will post here from time to time to let you and others know the status of this bug in our environment as I did not see any others running under a Linux server (shouldn't matter, though). Even though it seems to be on Apple's side, it seems to mostly if not only happen with Adobe products (I assume because of the error checking--it sees that the file is open and cannot guarantee a safe save and so stops?). Also going to see if I can submit a bug report somewhere, but I'm sure something is already open, and I'm sure it will be inconsequential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My daughter has lost all her final versions of work for her exam

She has photoshop 11, back up on external hard drive and two  systems on two separate laptops, windows 7 which she reverted to when photoshop kept closing in new windows 8

we re-installed photoshop twice

we have windows defender virus check

she pressed save and save as as she went along

half the files from two days of work disappeared

we tried to get them back and simply clicking save deleted another file in front of our eyes

the lock sign has spontaneously appeared on some

the technical expert from the university has tried to get them and unable to, we have used special soft ware to look in temporary, temporary deleted, recycle, deleted/deleted

she has some print outs to scan in and size up for some of the projects but obviously its poor quality

some other students on her course have suffered similar loss

This is as serious problem and they are doing all nighters to try and recover from to get in for deadline, despite worried parents saying not t do so!

Is any one at all able to help

Any thoughts welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another follow up for my situation; I've since moved to a new Mac Pro with 10.9 and have not once seen the problem come up. I'm using all the same exact software from my old machine, the only difference being Mac OS 10.6 vs 10.9.

However I have had a new problem arise but it isn't anywhere near as severe an issue. Now sometimes when I save a file on the server I get this message: "The disk copy of "filename.psd" was changed since you last opened or saved it. Do you want to save anyway?"

I know for a fact I am the only person accessing that file, and it comes up when I'm saving multiple times a session with the file open, even just a few minutes apart. I'll see if 10.9.3 fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another small update: using 10.9.3 on a new Mac Pro and Photoshop CC 2014 I had this pop up again. It's only happened once but the problem is apparently still lurking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2014 Aug 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, how are you?

I'm still experiencing this problem pertinent.

Any application that tries to save the shared directory on my server, it generates the error permission.

I've tried changing the communication protocol for this function, because the OSX10.9 SMBv2 uses by default and that generates this bug as described in this article (http://cammodude.blogspot.com.br/2013/10/os-x-109-mavericks-workaround-for-smb.html).

I saw a guy comment about disable function SMBv2 and v3 directly on windows server (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2696547). I am setting this test on a lab, return if you have news.

Finally, someone successfully to solve this problem? Any news from Apple?

Any help or solution would make me happy.

Good luck to all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you found a resolution to this??

I read through the answers but nothing seems to be working for me.

"Could not save as copy because write access was not granted"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines