• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the above error when working off of my xserve in photoshop. It is new in CS5 which we have recently upgraded to. Several people at my office are getting it. Sometimes it displays a random name with afp in front of it (I assume it is the temp name when photoshop is swapping out the new file for the old file.) It only seems to happen with psd and psb files. I have write access to the volume in question and it doesn't matter if I am the only one accessing the folder or not. I can save as and it seems to work; but it does delete the file.

Very frustrating. Anybody have any ideas? My IT guys are struggling with it, and one of them used to work on the Flash team as well as at Apple.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Hi everyone,

The recent Mac OS X 10.8.4 released yesterday has specifically named the following fix:

• Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

referenced from this Apple KB article. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

If you are still experiencing this issue, please update to 10.8.4 and then re-test in your environment. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

The KB article also mentions this fix:

• A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files mad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 492 Replies 492
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CC on my Mac and my PC at work.  Just got the same save error as every one has for the last 5 years.  I can open the file on my mac and turn off one layer in PS to make a change.  Try to save and get the permission error.  I can open an illustrator file on my Mac and turn a layer off and resave with no permission errors.  I can open the same PSD file on my PC and turn off the same layer I tried on the Mac.  I can save with no permission issues.  I can also open the same illustrator file on my PC and save with no permission issues.  So it is definitely something to do with how PS is interacting with OSX.  All other adobe products on my CC subscription work with zero issues.  I cannot ever remember saving and having an error in any program during the save that caused the file to disappear.  Of course I have only been working with design programs on different platforms and servers and environments for the last 22 years, so maybe someone older will have had an issue.  Not sure why PS is saving things differently than any other adobe product on the market. 

I have not read all 5 years worth of replies in this thread, but can someone give me the best way to work around this Bug with CC and OSX Yosemite 10.10.2?  I did not have this issue running CS6 or any of the previous OSX versions on this computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving to a server?

What kind of server, and what protocol are you using (MacOS 10.10 does have some SMB problems that Apple is still working to solve).

If you are saving to the local machine, then make sure the Finder windows are not showing the file you are saving over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@power5

I had the same issue, and stevelees helped me figure it out.

It turns out it was the protocol I was using to connect to my server. Here's the thread. I hope this fixes it for you.

Re: Photoshop, OSX Server – write access was not granted

Basically, an SMB connection gives photoshop difficulty. I switched to AFP and it cleared up the issue. The post Steve created gives more clarity.

Justin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Basically, an SMB connection gives photoshop difficulty.

No, it's just an OS bug that trips up Photoshop because we check for errors more than most other applications (because we've had to deal with this sort of OS bug a lot over the years).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, using the file located on the windows server.  No idea what its running but its the same server that has been doing the same duties for the last 4 years.  I closed finder windows and still cannot save over the top of the file.  Open it on my PC and no problem.  Open illustrator file from server on PC or Mac and no problem.  Only time I come up with the error is when trying to overwrite PSD files.  I will just assume its some SMB problem.

Went to that post by stevelees.  I tried to connect to the server using afp://server_name but says it does not exist.  I log onto the same server using smb://server_name so I figured I could just change that prefix.  Does not seem to work.  Is this something I will have to get with my IT department to enable afp protocol on the server or am I missing something?

Could there be a hotfix for PS to not check for errors as much?  Make it a check box or something in the preferences with a huge full screen warning saying, "Adobe PS will take zero responsibility for any problems if you uncheck this box."  Then when I click "OK" have another blinking window pop up saying, "Are you sure you want to disable these error checks?  You could lose lots of valuable work if an error occurs during saving."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Power5 – Yes. You will most likely need to talk to your IT department. AFP may not be enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try connecting to the server using CIFS instead of SMB to avoid the known problems in MacOS 10.10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2015 May 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 10.10.3 and this is suddenly happening.  Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2015 May 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, just got on this thread since one of my many users on osx 10.10.3 with adobe photoshop cc 2014 is experiencing the same thing with a windows server 2008 R2, we tried connecting with cifs (which is ridiculous in 2015) and smb but same error occurs no matter how we connect, no issues to save over and over with any other applications, I cannot believe that Adobe has not resolved this specific issue after 5 years, after countless updates and new versions,

Adobe CC was supposed to be rewritten from the ground up, clearly the same code has been used to rewrite photoshop, for the amount of money adobe is now asking for their software, which you cannot even own since CC is based on a lease schema, no pay no software, i believe they either take this matter seriously or we should just sue them there is enough users on this only thread to start the process, please fix your crappy code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has resolved it -- it is not a Photoshop or Adobe issue, but an OS or server issue.  As noted earlier in the topic - Apple already fixed some of those issues in OS updates.

No, Adobe CC was not rewritten in any way - not sure where you got that misinformation from.

MacOS 10.10 does still have some issues with SMB connections, most of which are avoided by using CIFS instead of SMB.  Apple knows about the issues in MacOS 10.10 and is working to solve them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the other adobe programs have found ways around the issue. Photoshop is claiming that users lose files if they disable their extra error checking steps which is what is causing the issue. No problems saving in illustrator for me. Only photoshop. Doesn't sound like it's just an OS problem to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, most other applications ignore the issue (fail to check for errors).

Yes, it really is an OS or server problem.  Photoshop simply does more error checking, because we have seen similar problems in the past and don't want customers to invisibly lose their data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And all those other inferior programs including adobe programs seem to work fine and have never invisibly lost any data. I would be very interested to know how many users of photoshop have had this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we test other applications on the servers that report errors, we see them lose files.

We have done a lot of testing on this sort of error - and it's always an OS bug or a server bug.  We notify the vendors responsible for the issues, and they generally get fixed quickly.  Of course, we can't fix all possible server configuration errors (and we've seen some doozies), but we do try to test for such problems and warn the user about the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to follow this thread since our office is experiencing the issues being discussed.

Today I upgraded to OS X 10.10.3. Immediately I began getting the "Could not save ... because write access was not granted." error. This was trying to save from Photoshop CS6 to an Xserve. Of course, I can save to my desktop and then copy the file over to the server and I guess that will be my new process, however aggravating. Before upgrading my OS, I would have intermittant issues saving out of PS to the server. But now it seems like its the rule rather than the exception.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS 10.10 has well known, continuing trouble with some file server protocols.

Most people have more luck with CIFS than SMB or AFP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me CIFS works on the first save but produces the issue on the 2nd save. Consistently every time. Regardless of CS version.

We're looking into Extreme Z-IP and Dave at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2015 Jul 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jiwald,

Have you found any solution for this? We have the exact some problem using OS X 10.10.4, Photoshop CS6, Synology NAS and SMB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are now using a trial of Thursby's Dave. So far it is working well but I have only installed it on 2 machines so far.

ExtremeZ-IP said this is a known apple bug reported in Radar 21442247. If anyone has a developer account (I don't) they may be able to look up the status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot search Apple's Radar database, and querying OpenRadar.me yields no results. ¯\_()_/¯

We'll revert to AFP for now (seems to be working), but I'll look into DAVE once I've got some time (though it'll be very hard to convince management to purchase a software for $1,260 after buying a Synology DS2415+ plus disks just now…).

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what industry you're in or how many users are impacted but $1260 is a small price to pay if it improves production.

I understand how budgeting goes though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in Hungary, where, say, 700 USD/month is considered a good salary (that's two hundred thousand in local currency! twice the minimum wage), but I think we've gone completely off-topic here.

But then again, paying for something that should work out of the box is hard to justify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

We are having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've found a fix for PSD and PSB files accessed on an SMB share. The fix is a third-party Quicklook plugin that's designed to provide thumbnails for PSB files, but also replaces the Quicklook functionality for PSD files.

I've tested this with Mac OS X 10.9, 10.10 and beta for 10.11 along with CC 2014 and CC 2015 and it fixes the issue in all cases for PSD and PSB files. Other image formats such as JPEG and TIFF still produce the "write access not granted" error when they are selected in a Finder view that displays a preview.

Here's a link to the plugin:

PSB Quick Look Plugin

The plugin is $9.95, but a free 30 day trial is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO the problem is caused by the SMB protocol, then in fact there are some ”strange process” opened by the Finder.

I changed the server protocol for AFP and everything works well.

In my case I changed shared folder’s settings in Server app ver. 4.1.5, but this works is mac os x System Preferences as well.

The eventual disadvantage – there is no connection of PCs to the server (then try PSB Quick Look solution)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines