• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

could not save because write access was not granted (Mac OS)

Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the above error when working off of my xserve in photoshop. It is new in CS5 which we have recently upgraded to. Several people at my office are getting it. Sometimes it displays a random name with afp in front of it (I assume it is the temp name when photoshop is swapping out the new file for the old file.) It only seems to happen with psd and psb files. I have write access to the volume in question and it doesn't matter if I am the only one accessing the folder or not. I can save as and it seems to work; but it does delete the file.

Very frustrating. Anybody have any ideas? My IT guys are struggling with it, and one of them used to work on the Flash team as well as at Apple.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Hi everyone,

The recent Mac OS X 10.8.4 released yesterday has specifically named the following fix:

• Resolves an issue saving files to an Xsan volume from certain applications

referenced from this Apple KB article. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5730

If you are still experiencing this issue, please update to 10.8.4 and then re-test in your environment. Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

The KB article also mentions this fix:

• A fix for an issue that may prevent changes to files mad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 492 Replies 492
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For us, saving to a Windows server from Mac or Windows client is a problem if anyone is "looking" at a preview in the Finder/Explorer.

e.g. A user has a window open and is clicked on the file they are saving, causing it to display an icon preview or preview in the Finder's preview pane.

Viewing any preview causes the file to be "open" while the Windows server updates the preview (which it does constantly).

Turning off all previews or ensuring that all users are not viewing any previews allows the files to save without error.

There are someWindows server settings that limit previews and "live preview"refresh timing.

In general, the more up-to-date your OS and CS are, the fewer saving issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2013 Nov 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok just got to my customer now and doing some testing.  If I click off the file in finder it saves fine so obviously something grabbing hold of the file.  Need to see if I can find a setting on the server to adjust this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another update.  Just installed fresh copy of Mountain Lion and Lion and both have same issue.  Going to try later with Snow Leopard.  I had tested in my office with Lion and it worked fine, must be some setting on the server

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you saw my earlier post but you might want to try my suggestion with Finder on OSX.

http://blog.skynet-solutions.net/post/52968299699/photoshop-could-not- save-file-because-write-acces...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep thanks but that isn't an option for my customer as they use the preview column.  Findings I have found

My Office

Lion with preview on connected to Win 2008 Enterprise server saves fine

Customer

Mac 1

Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks connected to Win 2008 R2 fails with Preview on.  If you make sure the file isn't selected it's fine

Snow Leopard no issues

Mac 2

Mounatin Lion connected to same Win 2008 R2 and works perfectly with preview on

Honestly can't see any differences why 2 macs in the same office should behave differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. With the two macs it may very well be a server/domain issue with the individual mac.

But unselecting the files in the Finder window will help in some cases.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes doesn't make any sense, both recently rebuilt and clean builds.  In fact the working ML mac does have issues where the admin credential popup is corrupt characters but everything else works. No logic how 2 similar machines can have different results

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay so apparently i'm late to *this* party, but here i am dealing with the same "write access not granted" message popping up when i try to save a file in photoshop.  i've only had this iMac for 48 hrs, otherwise the last time i worked with Macs i was in grade school.  so i'm feeling overwhelmed & lost.  is it because i'm saving the file back to the extrenal hardrive i retreived it from?  do i need to buy a new Mac specific external? i don't want to lose all the client images i already have on it, so formatting it is out of the question.  please & thank you for your insight!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2013 Dec 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macs can read and write to “PC” MS_DOS FAT and ExFAT formatted drives

natively.

Macs can only read (not write) to NTFS drives without 3rd-paty software.

And of course they can read-rite to Mac-formated drives (Mac OS Extended)

So if your drive is NTFS, you will need to buy software to write to NTFS

drives (google it) or get a Mac drive and copy everything to it.

And of course your permissions for the files on the drive must allow you

to write, but generally on local drives (as opposed to NAS or other

networked drives)

Photoshop has it’s own additional issues (Apple bug) that prevents saving

while a file is being previewed in the Finder (“file explorer”)

SO I always click away from the file I am working on so that it’s preview

is now displayed in the Finder wndow - then I can save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! How can I tell iff I have an NTFS drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a Windows (Microsoft) machine, you are using the NTFS format on the native internal drive. "NTFS (New Technology File System) is a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft. Starting with Windows NT, 3.1, it is the default file system of the Windows NT family."

If you are using an external hard drive on an Apple machine, you can format it to the exFAT format and eliminate the writing error being tossed by Photoshop. This will allow you to save directly to the external drive and will also function completely on a Microsoft enabled machine. This is useful if you are using an Apple machine with a (Bootcamp) Windows partition on it.

I use five external drives on a late 2012 MacBook Pro and they are all formatted to exFAT. I use PSCS6 Extended in the Mavericks environment and PSCS5 Extended in the Windows environment. I have no issue on either partition with any of the drives.

Message was edited by: kellyjdrummer3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Highlight the drive and press Command+I to call up a Get Info dialogue box. The drive's format will be listed, as in the below. I purposely chose an NTFS formatted drive for this example:

Screen Shot 2013-12-13 at 1.45.26 PM.png

These instructions assume you're on a Mac. If a Windows computer, then the startup drive for Win 7 or 8 already is NTFS. It has to be, or you can't install the OS. Other drives can be NTFS, FAT32 or exFAT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2013 Dec 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kurt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my solution was to go buy a new Mac-specific external hard drive. Thanks everybody!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good for you. It can be frustrating. By the way, it doesn't have to be a Mac specific drive. If you format any drive as exFAT with Disc Utility it resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. I’ll keep that in mind for once I’ve filled this one up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to do so, you have to use Disk Utility to erase the drive even if it is empty, then format as exFAT. I wish you the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kelly! Great info. I probably would’ve buggered that up for sure! Haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a little update for me, the problem has gotten much more frequent. We recently updated the file share to a Mac Mini running 10.9 server with a Pegasus 2 thunderbolt raid. The first day I started using it I got the error about 5 or 6 times but it is still 2-4 times a day now. On our old setup it had settled to only once a month or so. I will be moving to a new Mac with Mavericks & CC soon  so hopefully that will clear things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2012 Sep 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>> kind of surprised that all of your efforts would seemingly be dismissed outof hand

Where did that happen?

Are you reading the same forum here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this issue on a Macbook Pro 15" Retina since October 2012 when I took delivery of this machine. I use PSCS6 Extended and 4 external drives. After formatting all of them as exFAT, I have had no issues at all. None. It was just a last ditch attempt to do anything to change this issue and it worked.

Life is good again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can faithfully re-produce this error with One Mac opening a network folder either SMB or AFP.

This issue ONLY occurs in PHOTOSHOP no other products case this error.

ADOBE please advise ????

Title

Adobe files cannot write to server in OSX when Finder icon Preview is on

Description

Problem Description: Finder reports "Access not Granted" when saving files from Adobe Server.

Steps to Reproduce:Open a new PSD file save to server while in Finder you have the same folder.

Actual Result: File is deleted from Server and Open file has to Save as.

Expected Result:You should be able to save photoshop files on the Server without it deleting files.

Any Workarounds:
Turning off Finder "Show Icon Preview" and "Preview Column" reduces the amount of time Photoshop deletes the file.

Test Configuration

My Hardware and Environment details:
Apple OS X 10.6 - 10.9
CS 5
CS 6
CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got over this problem by installing Tuxera NTFS for Mac

Pauline Oliver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pauline

Are you saving to a Network or External Disk?

Regards

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded it and saved it in my hard drive.

Pauline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines