• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not save “Filename” because of a program error.

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a common problem, however I feel as if this may be slightly different. 

What is happening: I am opening an existing PSD file in Photoshop (version 22.3) and when I go to save over the existing psd 'save' it will present an error Could not save “filename.psd” because of a program error. It is important to note that I am opening a file from a NAS and saving back to the NAS. Specifically a QNAP NAS.

Furthernmore, when you check the file location, a new psd file exists under a random name such as "Adobe Photoshop 202029437706089542" where the numbers appear to be random. A new file like this appears everytime you try and save over the original psd file where the numbers change in the filename for each save. As you can imagine this is quite frustrating and creates a huge mess in folders over time. (see attached) The Adobe Photoshop file names are 'saves'. Now I'm pretty sure normally these files appear while a PSD is saving and then merge to create the PSD then they dissapear.

3 of us work off iMac's in our office, all working off the NAS at the same time, and this only happens to me. I've tried reinstalling photoshop, updating etc. Tried working off local hdd, which this error doesnt occur on local hdd. Which got me thinking it must be a permissions issue or something, but seems to happen intermittently. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This exact same error is also happening to me - working off a NAS drive, only one out of 4 people in the office with the problem. I've tried everything suggested here except rolling back to an earlier version and had no luck. That will be my next attempt at fixing this but i'm hoping OP has managed to resolve the problem and can offer some advice?

Currently my work around is to append a number to the filename, thus creating a new file, but then I have to go and delete the original and remove the extra digit from the filename so the file is recognised in InDesign, so... both annoying and time wasting. Also a major hassle when preparing 100+ photos for a single project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines