• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not save “Filename.psd” because of a program error.

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. I have just started experiencing this error upon saving edits on an existing .psd file.

I am updated up to the most recent Photoshop version and have a perfectly functioning system. 

One workaround I have found is to save the project with another name and then delete the old .psd and rename the new one properly, although it's an annoying procedure considering I tend to save every 5 minutes to not lose anything.

Thanks to all who can help me!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Community-Help/Guidelines-Tips-for-the-Adobe-Forums/td-p/4788157

Are you working locally or across a network? 

And have you done a Forum Search? 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2020-quot-could-not-complete-your-request-because...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been a solve for this? This is happening to me too. I tried save on my local disk as well as an external drive and same thing is happening everywhere. I'm running on latest macOS Catalina 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that the location where you're trying to save is write-protected? Or actually a file you're saving?

Are you trying to save in the same location when you do Save As.. ? and t hen it's working?

What's your system?

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me as well. It started when I updated my macOS to Big Sur.

I'm using an action to save images into the same location on an external drive at different stages of work and I get the message: 

Could not save as “FILE NAME” because of a program error.

I have to then save to a new location, such as my local hard drive in order to save my work. I have tried turning off the Generator, and also uninstalling Photoshop, then reinstalling. No luck fixing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now getting - "Could not save as “filename.psd” because of a program error"

Did you get a fix for this?

Thanks in advance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this and another issues (layers not merging, channel selection not loading, exporting file, saving as, etc) these last 3 days... I tried everything they said in the forums and in the link posted by c.pfaffenbichler. Last night, only by chance I hid the background layer and it worked, everything worked! (previously i had tried to hid every layer except for the background and it worked to save the psd, but only that) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - so Adobe help centre supported me and it's working well so far. (NB Cleared up significant lag too.) 

Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Uncheck "use graphics processor"

Relaunch Photoshop (you'll lose unsaved work). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This problem still occurs intermittently. Shutting down the program,
restarting my computer and making sure my operating system and Photoshop
itself have the most current updates usually fixes the problem
temporarily.

---
James M. Patterson
Valley News Staff Photographer
603-727-3236
jpatterson@vnews.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines