• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not save.. ..the document is bigger than 2 gigabytes

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I uncheck the 'maximum compatibility' mode, the file size is 48.7MB. If the 'maximum compatibility' is checked, then it cannot save the document at all giving me an error message about it being larger than 2 GB. 

Really?

I need to send this file into a printer and I cannot guarantee what version of photshop they are using, so I want maximum compatibility to make sure they can open it.

What am I missing? that is a pretty HUGE difference in file sizes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Jeremy,

This hang is caused by layer: template>Header>TIMELINE options>timeline TODAY (shape layer)

It looks like it was copied from Illustrator along with guides.

When you remove that layer, or delete paths that represents guides, everything saves as expected.

Hope that helps.

--

Marijan (tomaxxi)

http://tomaxxi.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug still exists (March 2015).

A 65k vector logo pasted from AI into a 1.2 MB (2000x2000) PSD in CC 2014.... won't save because larger than 2GB?? But if the single guide (just one line) is deleted in AI, there's no problem.

There's no way anything needs to rasterize over 2GB in a 2000x2000 document. And no way a simple guide should cause it to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Illustrator still produces guides that can produce surprisingly large images when rasterized - as already explained in post #17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say post 17 "explains" the problem—although it does describe it, which is helpful and appreciated in finding a workaround.

The problem IS a bug, and a long-unfixed one, whether a bug with AI, PS, or their interoperation.

If there's a legitimate reason why a single, standard vector guide MUST rasterize far larger than the pixel size of the document it's pasted into, post 17 doesn't contain that explanation. It's absurd--and all the more absurd that a) the bug has lasted so many years, b) there's not even warning message, and c) Adobe officially seems to intend never to fix the bug (which would not be surprising, since our monthly payments arrive the same with or without bug fixes). In fact, someone seems to have marked Helpful not the actual workaround, but merely the empty statement that it's "not a bug."

Meanwhile, until/unless Adobe fixes it, here the helpful info found in this thread: before copying from AI, find and delete any guides to work around the bug. A real pain with some documents; a non-issue with others (which lack guides).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Illustrator defines that guide as part of the artwork, as a very, very long line that is also part of the bounds of the artwork.

You'll have to ask the Illustrator team if they intent to fix it. We've let them know about it, but we can't fix the bug for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's interesting to know the mechanics of the problem--thanks.

(And a shame the way Adobe is handling Creative Suite. They could have devoted fans like I used to be, and instead they have prisoners! Which brings in the income for now, but long-term, we all dream of leaving the Adobe we once loved.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2015 Mar 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.

The "suite" concept is a fabrication of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.

The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one. See Chris Cox's post above.

It's not remotely in the engineers' hands to change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hai,

I was facing the same problem in CS6. I was working on 300 resolution, that's the reason a huge amount of space was used. I reduced the resolution to 150, now I can save it like before.

Hope this helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this problem now in CC 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the problem with saving is when you exceed for eg. max width of shape (I got one document 30k pixels height and the background shape was 34k pixel).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this problem but I wasn't using anything from Illustrator. Reducing the resolution from 300 to 150 worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines