CPU for Photoshop

Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i work in Photoshop, and it's time to upgrade my extremely old Pentium G860 (2 cores/ 2 threads. 3GHz, no turboboost) with new CPU.
i choose between Core i5 (4cores/4 threads, higher frequency 3.4 GHz base - 3.8 GHz on turboboost) and Core i7 (4 cores/ 8 threads, lower frequency  - 2.5 GHz base - 3.3 GHz on turboboost)
Please, help me make right choise.
Usualy i have opened Photoshop and browser seminously, no other programs

TOPICS
Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

CPU for Photoshop

Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i work in Photoshop, and it's time to upgrade my extremely old Pentium G860 (2 cores/ 2 threads. 3GHz, no turboboost) with new CPU.
i choose between Core i5 (4cores/4 threads, higher frequency 3.4 GHz base - 3.8 GHz on turboboost) and Core i7 (4 cores/ 8 threads, lower frequency  - 2.5 GHz base - 3.3 GHz on turboboost)
Please, help me make right choise.
Usualy i have opened Photoshop and browser seminously, no other programs

TOPICS
Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 03, 2021 0
Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop? Is this part of a new computer spec, or just a CPU upgrade? What is the rest of the configuration (especially RAM and GPU)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 0
Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's just CPU upgrade, not a new computer, 8 gb of RAM (DDR 3), GT1030 GPU (2gb DDR 5). Last version of Photoshop. I develop RAWs, and retouch photos, use filters.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 0
Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give actual version number of Photoshop (not "lastest").

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 0
Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that simple. Replacing the CPU also means replacing the motherboard and probably RAM. Often, CPU/motherboard/RAM combinations are sold as "upgrade kits". That may be your best option.

That CPU has an LGA1155 socket, which means your motherboard has too. That further means your choices are limited to LGA1155-socket CPUs - but no current CPUs have that socket. And even if they did, they probably wouldn't be supported in the motherboard BIOS.

The good news is that you have a lot more options and flexibility if you factor in motherboard and RAM.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 0
Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i want to stay on my socket for now, but i want to have better CPU on this platform, and it's question for me, what is better for work in PS, more threads, or higher frequency 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 0
Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i choise between CPUs for this socket (it's Core i5 3570 or Xeon e3 1260l) price is similar here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 0
Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The i5 will be more than good enough. You may need a BIOS update, so check that.

Photoshop is not, and never was, very CPU-intensive. System bandwidth (memory/disk) has always been much more critical, and lately also the GPU.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 0
Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give the information requested. Please give actual version number of Photoshop (not "lastest"). If you are having trouble finding the information please let us know so that we can guide you, but please do not ignore questions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 0
Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.0 20180920.r.24 2018/09/20: 1193433 x64

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 0
D Fosse LATEST
Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stay on Photoshop version 20. Don't update it (the current version is 22). Also, don't update the Camera Raw plugin even if it's offered in the CC app.

There has been a bunch of new system requirements in Photoshop/ACR with the newest versions, and they may not work with an older CPU.

The thing is, if you update and remove v 20, you can't get it back. It's no longer offered for download in the CC app.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2021 0