Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crashed opening NEF Raw files

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Has anybody else had problems opening NEF files in the latest update? Everytime I attempt to open a file program crashes, sends an error report then closes.

Thanks

Scott

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Hi Scott

Try this:

Open Photoshop and go to Preferences > Camera Raw.  Uncheck "Use Graphcs Processor". Restart.

Now try and open a NEF file

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

If you are using Lightroom for the NEF Raw files, there is a known bug. Quit both programs. Launch Photoshop first, then Lightroom.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Unfortunately this is in Photoshop CC, I have reinstalled it and changed the settings to make sure my graphics card is used as the graphics processor.  I have tried to open older NEF files and the problems remains.

Thanks

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scottt64817097  wrote

Unfortunately this is in Photoshop CC

Hi Scott,

You can’t open Raw files in Photoshop; you can only open them in ACR through Bridge or Lightroom. So if you are using Bridge, then try launching Photoshop first.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane,

Since when?  I have only ever used Photoshop to open RAW files, they open the raw screen which allows you to carry out adjustments before you then save the file as a JPEG with the xmp data.  I never use bridge or lightoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also just tried opening through bridge, which launches PS and crashes again.  This is a fairly major issue that needs to be rectified as all my images are taken in RAW meaning I can do no editing at present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott

Try this:

Open Photoshop and go to Preferences > Camera Raw.  Uncheck "Use Graphcs Processor". Restart.

Now try and open a NEF file

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Same outcome unfortunately, Crashes, Sends Crash Report then closes.

Cheers

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lie, I changed the wrong setting.

Works OK now, hopefully Adobe issue a fix.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not work for me. It already says OFF  and says the it is not supported on my machine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are tightened system requirements in ACR 13, and it will not work on older operating systems.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html 

Don't know if that's the case here, but if it is, you need to revert to ACR 12.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That might be a good fix BUT I have nowhere to roll raw back see image. I am already rolled back to 2019 and do not see Photoshop CC anymore.

Newton5DDA_0-1604284995222.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines