• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create action to put white frame around photos?

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can't be that hard, any tips would be appreciated.

I have about three hundred photos. I want to put a white frame/border around each one. The pictures are different width and heights. I need the frame to be constant relative to the dimensions of the picture.

I tried doing a percent increase to the canvas with a white background but that gives different results depending on the dimensions.

Anyone have any ideas. I need to automate it with an action.

Thanks

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the documents have a background layer for they does not support transparency. Then record a simple action that add canvas relatively  the same fixed percentage for  current width and height  If the images have a 1:1 aspect ration the canvas added to the top and bottom will be the same size as the canvas added to the left and right sides. You can specify the color of the canvas you want added.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want same stroke width around photo? And to vary width based on image dimensions? It is harder than you think using actions. There isn't option for such thing because aspect ratio is different from what I can understand. You can achieve same stroke width using percentage when recording action for 1:1 aspect ratio but that won't work if you run action on image with 5:3 aspect ratio and you can not use conditional actions to check whether image has 5:3 or 3:2 ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As JJMack wrote, using a relative canvas extension would do the job. If you use a fixed unit such as pixels or CM then you would not need to worry about different aspect ratio's distorting the frame as you are not basing the extension on %. The following example would add a 25 px border around each edge and the result would be consistent no matter the aspect ratio.

atn.png

Are the input files layered or flattened, or a mix of both? Do all of the input files have a consistent PPI and physical size set in image size?

If you have layered files or a mixture of flattened and layered files, then a conditional action can route the processing as required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find this pop up box 'add uniform white frame'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you talking about? The screenshot shows the Actions Panel.  

Have you tried Image > Canvas Size set to »Relative«? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I am sounding a bit stupid but I can't find the box. I use  Indesign through Creative Cloud and I'm not sure where to find "Image" to bring up the box. I can see the screenshot and what to do but I just need to find how to access that. Can you let me know where to find "Image" please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Photoshop Forum, with Indesign-related queries you may want to refer to the Indesign Forum. 

https://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign/content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: Do you want to add a frame to an image on a page or to a whole page? 

In teh first case I wonder if aoolying a Stroke set to »outside« to the container might not suffice in Indesign.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers? Just a Background Layer? 

• reset back- and foreground color (D)

• change Background Layer to a regular Layer

• apply Layer Style Stroke set to »Outside«

• Image > Reveal All 

• Flatten Image 

Edit: But maybe I misunderstood the original post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.

Thank you for all the replies. I probably should have been more descriptive in my original post.

I have an assortment of photos that I scanned into the computer. They are all jpg's flattened with different aspect ratios. My goal is to create an action that will put a white border around each image with the same width on each side and then close the picture.

I want to use the Image Processor to batch process a whole folder. Its been almost twenty years since I've dealt with actions and automating a process.

I think I cracked the action part except I can't get the action to close the image without bringing up a "save as dialog". I'll keep trying.

Thanks again for the replies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

jpg does not support Layers, so if the image contains any Layers apart from the Background Layer the jpg cannot be simply saved, but one could flatten the image. 

But opening a jpg, editing and saving it is not a great idea because of the accumultaed compression damage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly the question I had and posted in July but there doesn't seem to be an easy way. I use Indesign without using layers. Like you I wanted to add a white frame around each photo. In the end I took each photo into Photoshop and easily added a white frame that way. But I was hoping to be able to do it in Indesign wth one action. If you managed it please can you explain to me how you did it! The suggestions I had was to draw a frame around each photo and centralise the photo but that was too time consuing as all photos a different size. I can't beleive there isn't an easy solution to this in Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again: Not the Indesign Forum. 

And have you tried applying a Stroke to the image containers in Indesign? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry, I see what you mean - I'm in the Photoshop forum. You may be able to help though as you seem knowledeable about Indesign. I know how to apply a wide stroke to the photo and make that white but I need a black line around that white frame as well and that's the bit I'm not sure how to do because you can only use 'stroke' once around an object so do you know how do you get another line around the white frame? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I can't beleive there isn't an easy solution to this in Indesign."

In InDesign, create a stroke with the color and width you want on one frame, then create an Object style and apply it to the other frames. If you need to make changes, change one frame and update the Object style. 

Since you need a white stroke and a black stroke, try using a combination of both the Stroke and Border functions and create the Object style.

~Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e beat me to it... Here is a visual of one way:

effects.png

One object, white stroke, black inner glow effect... And yes, an object style is better to apply to multiple elements, just as text styles facilitate updating multiple instances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane and Stephen thanks so much. I now understand how to go about this and how to use object style to make it work with a black line around it. Brilliant! I appreciate everyone's patience with me ðŸ˜„

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that in Stephen's screen shot, the black Inner Glow Effect has been applied to the Object in this case. You can also apply effects to the stroke or fill or text in InDesign.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also create a custom Stroke and set the Gap Color to white. 

Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 15.49.13.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines