Highlighted

Create Smart Object using layer selection

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to do something that is probably very basic, but I just cannot figure out how so I could really use this community's expert advice.

I have the image below as a 'mockup' which includes a Smart Object for the front panel. I can change this as I want - no problemo.

lindag56852618_0-1597137626237.png

But the 'folded' side panel is not a smart object. I've used the magnetic lasso to select the side and make it a separate layer - which is why it is now white, but then I am stuck.

In my head it is simple - right-click and make it a Smart Object, double click to isolate and add the picture. But of course, then the picture does not follow the contours. I'm sure there are (several) steps in between that will allow me to take a rectangular picture and have it follow the contours, but every tutorial I look up on how to make a Smart Object tells me to right-click and select Smart Object. So I am clearly asking the wrong question. I'm sure it has something to do with masks, maybe a displacement or gradient mask... but how? I don't know.

So how can I create a Smart Object that takes a rectangular picture and applies it to the side of this bag using the same perspective and contours? Could you please tell me the steps I need to follow so I can learn how this works and apply this to other mockups in the same way?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to, Make It, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Create Smart Object using layer selection

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to do something that is probably very basic, but I just cannot figure out how so I could really use this community's expert advice.

I have the image below as a 'mockup' which includes a Smart Object for the front panel. I can change this as I want - no problemo.

lindag56852618_0-1597137626237.png

But the 'folded' side panel is not a smart object. I've used the magnetic lasso to select the side and make it a separate layer - which is why it is now white, but then I am stuck.

In my head it is simple - right-click and make it a Smart Object, double click to isolate and add the picture. But of course, then the picture does not follow the contours. I'm sure there are (several) steps in between that will allow me to take a rectangular picture and have it follow the contours, but every tutorial I look up on how to make a Smart Object tells me to right-click and select Smart Object. So I am clearly asking the wrong question. I'm sure it has something to do with masks, maybe a displacement or gradient mask... but how? I don't know.

So how can I create a Smart Object that takes a rectangular picture and applies it to the side of this bag using the same perspective and contours? Could you please tell me the steps I need to follow so I can learn how this works and apply this to other mockups in the same way?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to, Make It, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 11, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how can I create a Smart Object that takes a rectangular picture and applies it to the side of this bag using the same perspective and contours?

well it depends if the image is 2D or 3D?

and more to the point, why is it using smart objects?

as for what would I do this [that part is easy]

1 = download free from Stock1 = download free from Stockrendor it in Photoshoprendor it in Photoshoprendor it in Dimensionrendor it in Dimension

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, Ussnorway!

The image is 2d.
I did consider using Dimension, but could not find a model that was correct.

For example, the model above the top of the bag is folded down. I don't know how to remove that feature and it took 7 hours for what I did try to render.

I need to make 18 variants, hence trying to learn how to make a Smart Object that I can just change quickly. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok what your boss | teacher wants you to use is called "quick select tool" but Adobe is too far behind at this point because they still don't use the Gpu and rendor MUST be in real time to make the work flow correct

I'll make you a demo to show the old work flow and also why no body still uses it

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0