• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Adjustment Layer does not create layer mask.

Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get a grasp on adjustment layers and layer masks.  I have been watching numerous tutuorials and one thing I've noticed is they all click on the adjustment layer they want to use, example: Exposure and up pops a settings box and on the right under the layers panel there is a box with a circle in it.  Fine so far.  In ALL the tutorials I have watched a blank white layer mask appears at the same time.  The instructors then go about painting or whatever using that layer mask.  When I do it, the white layer mask does not appear.   In order to get a layer mask I have to click on the Add Layer Mask at the bottom of the panel.  

Do I have something set wrong or...?  I've tried Googling it and YouTubing it but can't find an answer.  I'm using Photoshop CC 2019 with the latest update.  Thanks much in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

You might have creating masks for adjustment layers turned off.

adj mask.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disclaimer- I am NOT a Ps expert!

Your adjustment layer looks strange! It shows an icon that is the icon used to 'create' an adjustment layer.

When I add an 'Exposure' adjustment layer I see this- The +/- icon:

ScreenShot384.jpg

So I presume you are at the 20.0.6 release of Ps (the "Latest").

My only suggestion is to reset the Preferences- Open Preferences and click the button on the General page-

ScreenShot385.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have creating masks for adjustment layers turned off.

adj mask.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it. I didn't have that selected. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Chuck, I am learning also!

So, select the [Adjustments] tab, and click the 'four bars' icon for the menu.

Great.

ScreenShot388.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines