Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Adjustment layers below the active one

Enthusiast ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

новый слой.png

Recently I've learnt that a new layer can be created below the active one by holding the Ctrl button while clicking the icon. But for some reason it doesn't work with the Adj. layers

Why? Is there any other key for them? Just curious (don't suggest to make custom actions as I was told on facebook, lol; actually I don't need this at all, just explore PS features)
Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This won't do what you are asking, but it could speed things up. Having created the adjustment layer, hold down Command/Control and tap the left square bracket key ( [ ). This is the keyboard shortcut to move a layer down one level within the layer stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would happen if there was a single backgroundLayer?

What would happen if there was a single pixel layer?

An adjustment layer logically has to be above a layer to adjust it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have thought about this in the past when clipping an adjustment layer.  If you add another adjustment layer it is not clipped, so I was wondering if it was possible to add the new adjusment layer beneath the current one, and that would keep both adjustment layers clipped?  Pure lazyness, but we are forever looking for ways to save a keystroke or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's a good example why we need this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, but a file can have many layers and masks!

besides, it may be useful for creating clipping layers (as mentioned in the comment BELOW, lol 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there any other key for them?"

I do not think so, it would be nice to learn new shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes a file may or may not have many layers.

Why is there no modifier key? Only Adobe knows.

The lowest common denominator is a flattened image, which can't have anything below the Backround layer. Therefore by default an adjustment layer has to go above.

I'm not saying that such a feature has no merit, I'm just stating why it only does what it does and why I think it works that way.

P.S. the modifier key works directly on an icon, however adjustment layers are selected from a drop down list, perhaps that also affect key modifiers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you inserted a new layer or adjustment layer inbetween the clipped layer and the base layer it would automatically inherit the clipping. Even if the adjustment layer is added above the clipping group and it is therefore not clipped, moving it into the clipping group structure would also make it clipped. So an action or script could help with this workflow, otherwise this is not really the place to put forward feature requests if you wan't Adobe to consider them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm converting this discussion to a feature request.

Such a function would be helpful to easily tweak elements/backgrounds situated below the current layer, in order to emphasize it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Stephen_A_Marsh 

P.S. the modifier key works directly on an icon, however adjustment layers are selected from a drop down list, perhaps that also affect key modifiers.

I'd like to posit the following: what about the ALT+click shortcut to the adjustment layers to create them with a menu that lets you name, adjust blending modes, etc: (AND that Windows renders almost impossible to acheive without a right-click workarounds, as ALT now closes dropdowns in windows)

What would happen if there was a single backgroundLayet?

What would happen if there was a single pixel layer?

If I may interfere: I'd expect the same behavior as for the CTRL+Click on the new layer button: on a Bg, creation on top, on a single layer, creation below. It could be argued that the first case might be use to demote the Bg into a layer, but there are enough ways to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate