• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating an action to use the same background on multiple images.

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help on how to create an action to use for batching. I have an image that I would like to use as a background. I have 40 images, that need to have this image as a background. How would I go about setting this up? 

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm tired of going down the google wormhole and not finding what I feel should be a simple process.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Presuming that the existing image is a transparent layer and not flattened Background, record an action that places the static background image, then moves this layer below the transparent image. Then run the Action in Batch or Image Processor or Image Processor Pro. These scripts will open each variable foreground image in turn, apply the static background as per the action and save.

A similar topic thread here with a visual of the action steps expanded:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/simple-action-to-replace-image-from-walls/td-p/8989024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a template PSD that has the image as the background then  populate you images in into template using a Photoshop script.

Free download 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presuming that the existing image is a transparent layer and not flattened Background, record an action that places the static background image, then moves this layer below the transparent image. Then run the Action in Batch or Image Processor or Image Processor Pro. These scripts will open each variable foreground image in turn, apply the static background as per the action and save.

A similar topic thread here with a visual of the action steps expanded:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/simple-action-to-replace-image-from-walls/td-p/8989024

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/batch-processing-question/td-p/9734639

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the links, They were able to provide the information I needed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option could be to use the Load Files Into Stack (layer) script. Then add all of the variable foreground images to a layer group/set folder. Then add the static background to a layer set/group folder below. Then use the following script:

https://github.com/mechanicious/photoshopCompositionComposer

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this instruction can help. It is still question whether images are larger than background image, smaller or same dimensions, that is not known to me while giving advice.

You can record simple action to place background image and move below layer wit image during batch process. Maybe you need to convert Background layer to normal in order to be able to move bgr image at the bottom.

Please provide more info or samples for better advice. What are dimensions of image for background: same as, greater or smaller than images which needs background?

Another important information is aspect ratio. Do your background have same or different aspect ratio from images which needs background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Background and images are the same size. Background is a PSD file. Image's have the transparency that is needed.

I'm very new to photoshop.

I basically just need to take these 40 some images, add the background to each one, then batch it out as a PNG file. 

I'm sure my steps are wrong in creating the action.

I open up the background.

Then I create the action.

~I use the selection  in File: Place embedded (the images are already in the location they need to be)

~save.

Maybe using place embedded is wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will assume thst you have single layer images to process:

Open one image 

Start recording action 

Use Place Embedded to place background image 

Drag background image at the bottom of layer stack 

Stop recording action 

This action should be executed during batch process using Image Processor Pro, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You wrote "Image's have the transparency that is needed."   You may have a  problem with that Processing those image into a composite. Photoshop has a tendency of trimming completely transparent borders with features like Place and Copy/Past  in effect change the layer's bound  and the subject mater position in the new layer. The bounds is not the same as the image document canvas. This can cause problems.   To  get around this issue you may want to process your images with transparency so they will not  have  any transparent  border.   The way I do that is  I put 1% opacity gray pixel in the image document  top left and bottom right corners.  You will never see these two pixels with your eyes.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines