• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating big billboard size banner in photoshop increase file size to over 20 GBs

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to create an image for medium size billboard (240-inch x 96-inch). As I start editing, photoshop got so laggy and when I save it as a PSB file (because i don't get option to save it as PSD) it sizes become 35 GB as shown in the below screenshot 

How can I create the billboard image in photoshop without getting a file size of 35 GB and also without any lag?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Hey, create smaller presets of the same ratio in Illustrator and design there.

Since it's vecotr based therefore once you send it over to whoever's printing your billboard, they can enlarge it without losing quality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

yeah, it's slightly more annoying though so keep all the layers and objects in vector format and not rasterized  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not clear what you are asking. You simply have to get used to the reality that this is an entirely different discipline of working. It simply seems you have a wrong understanding here and wrong expectations. If your own computer isn't top-of-the line, then you have to do some serious investing in new hardware to make it perform better, but otherwise everything is pretty much normal. You may want to educate yourself about some of the basics of large format printing with a simple web search.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mylenium  Thanks for the response. 

Brother, you didn't really get what I was trying to ask. I am trying to create a billboard-sized, 240 x 96 inch.
So to create this billboard design, should I create a preset of exactly that size? Or should I create a lower preset with the same ratio? For the above size if I create a preset of i.e 5000 x 2000 pixels (which converts into 16.6 x 6.66 inch), will the resolution of the image get affected once I print that billboard or not?

Because creating the lower preset is the only way to decrease the size of the file and improve performance. Sorry for bad English and bad explanation 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

faizank80658535_0-1618126098834.png

Current preset

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, create smaller presets of the same ratio in Illustrator and design there.

Since it's vecotr based therefore once you send it over to whoever's printing your billboard, they can enlarge it without losing quality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

Can I do the same thing in Photoshop?  Create smaller presets of the same ratio in Photoshop and design here.
I'm asking it because I'm not so much familiar with illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, it's slightly more annoying though so keep all the layers and objects in vector format and not rasterized  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For images that are viewed from a distance, unlike those in books and magazine,  you don't need such a high resolution, something like 100PPI would be OK for this poster. Check what your printer wants, but normally it would be in RGB colour mode (sRGB space), and a PDF – a PDF/X-4 with Use Document Bleed Settings ticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Derek is right on the money. You don't normally need more pixels just because it's printed large! I don't know why everybody seems to think that, it's the most persistent myth in all of digital imaging.

Any high quality file from a good modern camera will work for anything, magazine spread or roadside billboard.

ppi2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines