Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Cabochon Images

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

First, I would like to preface this with saying I am an amateur, but I can follow directions well, so feel free to answer in-depth, if necessary, as I would appreciate it!

I am not sure if anyone can help me, but I have a project where I need to create printable images that fit inside a 25mm height x 18mm width oval. This would either be one single oval on a page that I can replace the image anytime, or I can try for a type of sticker sheet with many ovals that I would print several of the same image with.

When I attempt to use the Elliptical Tool, though, it either lets me free-draw one or I can type in some pixel numbers (after clicking). I cannot seem to figure out how to create an oval of the dimensions above.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thank you and be safe!

Elle

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Your screenshot is for the Ellipse tool, which makes a path. You set the size etc. by clicking on the little cogwheel in the options:

Semaphoric-PLXibM_0-1596664624889.png

Jane was showing the Eliptical Marquee tool, which makes a selection. Which one would depend on what exactly you will be doing with this ellipse.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Hi elled,

We are on two different tools. You are on the Ellipse tool in Path mode. You can set the shape size in the Path Options dialog (the gear) or change it in the Properties panel.

jane-e_0-1596664073920.png

I am on the Marquee Selection tool. You said "I need to create printable images that fit inside a 25mm height x 18mm width oval." This will work best with a Selection Marquee.

One way to do this is:

• Make a selection that is the correct size with the elliptical marquee tool.
  • Copy the image
  • Instead of Paste

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elle,

Select the ellipse tool, then in the options bar choose fixed size and type the size: 18mm by 25 mm. Be sure to type "mm" or it may revert to pixels.

~ Jane

jane-e_0-1595956164095.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

Thank you so much for your response!

I do not see the Options Bar for this, though, for some reason (probably my fault). I am using the monthly subscription Photoshop that is the most current. I have pasted a screenshot below. I have selected the Elliptical Tool, but the only options are Path/Shape/Pixels.

Do you mind helping me a bit more with finding the area to input the measurements you suggested?

Thank you, in advance.

elled908900_0-1596663045978.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot is for the Ellipse tool, which makes a path. You set the size etc. by clicking on the little cogwheel in the options:

Semaphoric-PLXibM_0-1596664624889.png

Jane was showing the Eliptical Marquee tool, which makes a selection. Which one would depend on what exactly you will be doing with this ellipse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Semaphoric-PLXibM,

I appreciate you looking out and noticing my mistake! It makes a lot more sense now that I was also choosing the wrong tool.

Thank you so much, especially for the screenshot for the one I guess I was trying to use.

Elle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi elled,

We are on two different tools. You are on the Ellipse tool in Path mode. You can set the shape size in the Path Options dialog (the gear) or change it in the Properties panel.

jane-e_0-1596664073920.png

I am on the Marquee Selection tool. You said "I need to create printable images that fit inside a 25mm height x 18mm width oval." This will work best with a Selection Marquee.

One way to do this is:

• Make a selection that is the correct size with the elliptical marquee tool.
  • Copy the image
  • Instead of Paste, use Edit > Paste Special > Paste Into to create a mask around the image
  • Note the red circle. The image and mask are not linked by default, so you can move or scale the image if you need to make adjustments. Click where the circle is to link the two and move them as a unit.

83.png

One other tip. Since you do this a lot, create a preset. Click the dropdown, click the plus, and give it a name. Then you can select it from the list another time.

84.png

Ask again if this doesn't answer everything,

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it took me longer to type than it took John!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me -- even if John got here first haha. I did not expect any response at all from anyone and yet you both have been kind enough to give me pointers. This is phenomenal! You have answered what I need answered and done more than expected. I can now do what I needed to do.

Have a lovely and safe day!

Elle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome, Elle, and I'm glad it's working for you now. 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines