• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop Circular Fisheye Photo

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Canon EF 8-15 Fisheye Lens.  I wish to crop the center image and remove the rest of the black image outside the circle.  I have not found an easy way to do this.  I would like to request the ability to crop circles just the same way as cropping a rectangle.  Do anyone have suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop images are always rectangles. Do you want the area outside of the circle to be a solid colour or transparent?

Use the elliptical marquee tool to select the circle and invert selection.

Then either fill the selected area on a new layer or add a mask to the existing layer to hide the selection (note if your existing image is a background layer click the lock symbol first to turn it to layer 0 so you can use transparency)

Note - If using transparency you will need to save/export to a format that supports transparency i.e PSD/TIFF/PNG not jpeg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fig_.png

Use the Elliptical Marquee tool. Hold down the Shift and drag diagonally. Don't worry about the exact fit.

Choose Select > Transform Selection and use the handles to change circle size and position the marching ants.

NOTE: With the latest version of Photoshop the circle will hold proportion without holding down the shift key.

When you are satisfied with the Selection, cmd+J will put the circular image on a new transparent layer.

EDIT:  You probably took several photographs. Consider this: After making the selection, choose Select > Save Selection. It will be saved and seen in the Channels panel and can be called upon to function as a Selection or a Mask on other images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Norman,

This is exactly the function I'm looking for and i have done it this way in the past.  I just wish Adobe would build this in as a standard crop option.  I guess this is very much a niche type lens that produces these fisheye images so not many people need this style crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that was a disappointment.  I opened this thread expecting to see something like this. 

I suppose that on the day that the despicable WorldNetDaily conspiracy site bites the dust (and good riddance) it was too much to hope for irrefutable proof that aliens like to doodle on our planet's corn fields.    On a more serious note, do people think that said aliens used vector or raster apps to make their circles?  And is outer space on the eligibility list for Creative Cloud subscriptions?

Well who'd have thought!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

Well that was a disappointment.  I opened this thread expecting to see something like this. 

No disappointments when I opened the thread, Trevor — maybe because I opened it after you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines