• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop placed/embedded image in Photoshop

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to figure out how to crop an image that I place on top of another one. I'm opening an online digital print shop and I need to crop/adjust my photos to fit inside blank picture frames that represent the dimensions that my customers can choose from. I have a feeling it has something to do with a layer mask, which I never took the time to get comfortable with. Can someone please give me some steps I can follow?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you first want to size the image to fill the frame with the image. It could be too small or to large to begin with. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easiest way is a Clipping Mask. Have your picture frame as the bottom layer. Make a new layer and select a rectangle the size of the inside (blank part) of the frame, and fill that area of the new layer with ANY color (this will be used to define the part of your "filling" layer you want to see). Then, place your "filling" image on another new layer. Now, while highlighted on that filling layer, Use Layer>Create Clipping Mask (OR, you can hover your mouse between the 2 layers, hold down the Alt/Option key and when your curser changes to an odd looking box, just click the mouse).

The rectangle shape will define what you see of the top layer, yet you can move the top layer's image however you want to frame things exactly. Hope that helps.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using an other image layer as a clipping  mask is not a good way to go about it when the Pasted in  or place in image layer does not have an aspect ratio and size like the  layer uses as a clipping mask.  The new layer must first be scaled to a size that will work well  when clipped. 

Images can have any aspect ratio any size.  A wide panorama image will not scale and clip well to a portrait aspect ratio,  The scaled and clipped  image composition will not be acceptable for too much Image content will be clipped off.

Even Content Aware  Resize will add too much image distortion. You can not change an Image Aspect ratio a lot and expect acceptable results.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a template  with Clipping Mask and place the image as a smart object. therefore next time  when you clipp another image you just need to change the image by using a smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer have aspect ratios and size, smart object layers have a harden pixels object and an associated Layer transform to transform the harden pixels for the layers object pixel content the actual object can bot be modified with Photoshop tools the layer actual pixels has an aspect Ratio and size and bounds the results of the hardened pixels being transform for the layers content.  The layer need to be size correctly to work well with the layer it is clipped to.

Yes a smart Object layer can be clipped to a layer  a smart object layer can be masked. It can have smart filters and can be styled. All need to be created well so the all work together.  If you user Replace content to replace the smart object content the replacement object must have exactly the same aspect ration, size and print resolution as the image placed into the template that created the templates smart object layer for the associated layer transform to work correctly. The Layer transform is not replaced or adjusted  when you use replace content.  You need to do things correctly there is no magic.

Free Photoshop Photo Collage and Mockup Toolkit 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Best Answer, Best Person, and just what I needed! Thanks, girl!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines