• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop to image

Participant ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have created an image within the default layer size, however, the image is smaller than the layer.

Is there a quick way to crop the layer (or all layers) to the overall size of the image?

Posted this earlier. Someone decided it was spam, so got removed. If it's spam please explain why?

------

When I export as .png there is a lot of dead space around the image.  I can easily crop this using Preview (in Mac) but am I aadding in an extra step here?  

Looked for a menu option, but can't see anything ovious.  A search online seems to find various ways of doing this, converting layers etc to smartobjects and then a few extra steps, but that seems like a long way round for a simple task.

In Gimp, there is an option 'crop to content'.  I'm assuming Photoshop has this option, called something else?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

If the background layer is transparent there’s Image>Trim

Screen Shot 6.pngScreen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the background layer is transparent there’s Image>Trim

Screen Shot 6.pngScreen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can go Image>Canvas Size and enter the size you want.

a-CANVAS-SIZE.jpga-CANVAS-SIZE-2b.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or you could just use the crop tool to crop your canvas to the image size you want

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Rob mentioned,  Image>trim should work. It should also work on solid color background and bit just on transparency. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I use the Crop Tool. 

image.png

Adjust horizontal and vertical handles as required and hit Enter.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it in GIMP, and Rob and Chuck are right: In Photoshop, Image > Trim is the closest command to Crop to Content in GIMP: A one-click way of getting rid of an empty surround without having to figure out the right manual adjustment with the Crop tool or Image Size command. In both applications, the only requirement for that command to work as expected is that the empty surround be a uniform color or transparency, no noise or loose bits or feathering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for this.  I did try that but stupidly didn't have a transperent background, and couldn't work out why it wasn't working.  Makes sense now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines