• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop to Oval Shape

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to crop a picture into an oval shape.  I've searched everywhere but must not be using right search terms, can anyone point me in the right direction?  All the tutorials mention the cookie cutter shape which I don't have in my version of photoshop. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A raster image is always rectangular, so you need to mask rather than crop. Use the Elliptical Selection tool, and then Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal Selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save a image with transparency in PNG format to have an oval shape image the Document canvas is still a rectangle.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s a quick, simple way that’s easy to edit.

1. Choose the Ellipse tool (not the Elliptical Marquee tool), and set it to Path mode up in the options bar.
  2. Draw your circle, then choose Layer > Vector Mask > Current Path.

Mask-to-vector-circle.gif

As long as the vector mask is selected in the Layers panel:

• You can reposition the circular vector mask using the Path Selection Tool.
  • You can scale it using Edit > Free Transform Path.
  • You can adjust the mask using the controls in the Properties panel, such as the Feather option to soften the edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad C -- 

Thanks for this. It works great but there's one more step that I need. How do I cut that circle out so I can paste it into a graphics document as a circle?

Marci

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't say what graphics program you are using. Personally, if it is Illustrator or InDesign, I would do the circle mask/crop in that program. If an Office program, use PNG as suggested. 

As a general rule (there are some exceptions) -- never cut-and-paste between different programs. Place, insert, import, etc.--but not cut-and-paste. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Publisher. My apologies for not using the right words. I do "insert" rather than "cut and paste" between programs. 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume Microsoft Publisher (and not Affinity Publisher) since you mentioned Insert

You can use PNG or TIFF. If TIFF, make sure you click the "save transparency" checkbox. 

You can also just place the rectangular image and use the Crop to Shape feature in MS Publisher. 

Just be sure to keep the image resolution high enough for your printing needs. I use 150-200 ppi for PDFs I'm distributing electronically (i.e. distribute and print). I use 225-300 ppi for PDFs I'm sending to a press (i.e. print and distribute). If I'm not sure, I'll use 225 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about setting a clipping path in the Paths panel, and saving as a TIFF?

Adobe has a nice help page about the topic: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/placing-photoshop-images-applications.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Semaphoric wrote:

How about setting a clipping path in the Paths panel, and saving as a TIFF?

Although we can rely on that with the pro layout apps, for this use case, it comes down to whether Microsoft Publisher supports a clipping path in a TIFF (or JPEG) file. If so, that could work. I don’t have Publisher, but that’s something marcihess could try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>>How about setting a clipping path in the Paths panel, and saving as a TIFF?

No--but you can use the path to create a layer mask. Then save a PNG or TIFF with transparency. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, David is right, exporting to PNG might be the best thing to try first.

Just keep in mind that when exporting to PNG or other non-Photoshop image formats, the vector mask will be converted to the form of transparency that format handles (usually an “alpha channel” which is pixels), so it will not be a vector mask in the exported file. But that shouldn’t matter; the final visual result you will get should still be the circular cut-out you wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines