Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop Tool Confusion

Contributor ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I need a little help with the Crop Tool. I still haven't got my head around how to use it properly. If I duplicate something from another layer and move it by using Ctrl + Alt and dragging it where I want, pressing Ctrl + T to change the transform shows me the box/space is far too big. Ideally, I'd like to crop away the un-important/un-needed space. I swear in the past I've used the Marquee Select Tool to select what I want, and then I've cropped it. Whenever I use Crop, it just crops everything into a small box. Even if I don't do the aforementioned steps above, and just try cropping something, everything is affected instead of just the layer I want. And then I can't get back to a full canvas unless I undo.

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Would you mind sharing some screenshots of how the screen looks at your end when you select the crop tool? Also, if the crop tool is not behaving as expected, then you may try resetting the tool and let us know how it goes. https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html#tool

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect it is working properly, but I'm just not using it right. Maybe I don't even need the Crop Tool for this, but if you see in the screenshot, I've selected part of my texture with the Marquee Select Tool, moved it where I want, gone into Transform Mode to rotate it, and there's a huge box for such a small selection. Is there a way of getting rid of that negative/empty space...? Would the Crop Tool be used in this case?

The bit I've copied is from the section in the bottom right-hand corner, by the way.

Photoshop_cVHybOFaZa.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crop affects the whole image. Marquee, invert selection, then delete would remove extra pixels on a layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Doesn't appear to be working. I should point out though, that I'm moving info on two selected layers at the same time. One has value/shading and the other highlights. If I move the highlights one on its own and try Ctrl + T, it says there are no pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines