Highlighted

Crop vs recorded Crop

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a recorded Action with a very simple crop from top or crop from bottom activity. When doing so manually, even during recording, the resulting image is clean. When running automation on a folder of photos, the resulting image edits are not recalculating the canvas size, leaving a white stripe along the cropped edge. It first appeared to behave as a transparency which I could live with. Now it appears to cause issues in a PhotoKey Pro where these images are being applied to backgrounds. This is causing me to manually redo the crop for each photo. 

Topics

Actions and scripting, Bug, Feature request, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Crop vs recorded Crop

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a recorded Action with a very simple crop from top or crop from bottom activity. When doing so manually, even during recording, the resulting image is clean. When running automation on a folder of photos, the resulting image edits are not recalculating the canvas size, leaving a white stripe along the cropped edge. It first appeared to behave as a transparency which I could live with. Now it appears to cause issues in a PhotoKey Pro where these images are being applied to backgrounds. This is causing me to manually redo the crop for each photo. 

Topics

Actions and scripting, Bug, Feature request, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crop will only record a set size. Actions have little to no ability to use various file info, like size. You might be able to get around it by recording using percentage, but I'm not sure on that. The reason you're getting a white edge on some is that some of the images are flattened, and when you crop outside the image area you will get a background the same color as what your background color is set to. Sound like you really need to use scripting rather than actions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already suggested you can try to set ruler to percent when recording action and see if that can help although it may not be the case what depend on project requirements.

Solution of your problem can be to use Conditional actions to determine whether your document has Background layer or not and to run separate action which will convert Background layer to Normal so your extended canvas will be transparent. If you need more help do not hesitate to ask more questions. Here is one of my tutorials on topic conditional actions although you can find more tutorials on the internet https://www.designeasy.co/2014/05/lets-talk-about-conditional-actions-in.html

There can be another possible solution to your problem: insert path then convert it to selection then use Image > Crop. I am mentioning this just in case and I haven't tested it yet, just thought if you want to experiment or can not find solution using the Crop tool because scripting is not that easy to learn.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
JJMack LATEST
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use my Aspect Ratio Selection Plug-in script to sets a centered selection and crop them use long print side plug-in to have the action to set the print size dpi you need.  The selection can be from the top left if that is what you want. Size is difficult to deal with in Actions.

Adobe broke my run twice scripts in  cc 2015 you can get around that by adding garbage to the document info meta data.

Crafting Actions Package UPDATED Aug 10, 2014 Added Conditional Action steps to Action Palette Tips.
Contains

Example
Downloa

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines