• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 + 10.6.5 - Delete Photoshop Settings file?

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2010 Nov 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having major issues when starting Photoshop CS4 on an iMac running OS X 10.6.5.  My keyboard almost becomes "stuck" and invokes strange actions.  I am using Spaces and using the Option key + arrow key to move between Spaces.

Tried opening up Fireworks immediately after closing Photoshop and it works properly without any issues.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 132 Replies 132
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2010 Nov 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into this.

As far as I'm concerned, there are some tools that run all the time:

Default Folder X

TextExpander

PopChar X

Dropbox

TransmitMenu

iStat menus

Growl

FontExplorerX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is everyone using Dropbox? Does disabling Dropbox correct the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i'm using Dropbox but i connot disable it because we use this for web development and syncing the different machines. I use the same apps on my MacBook Pro and he does not have the problem, it's only on my Mac Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey,

I'm experiencing the same (or very similar) problems as the many above.  I have dropbox, and disabling it did not make a difference.

Also, for good measure, I disabled Growl, FontExplorer Pro, and Divvy.  None of these made a difference either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to Typinator because it hasn't been happening ever since I disabled it (yet). I'd like everyone to disable their TextExpander / Typinator / similar program and see if there is any difference. I'd also like to see a list of the Startup Items for people who are experiencing this issue, but don't have those Typing-Helper programs installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having similar problems. Specifically, it's as if the Command key is being held down in both Photoshop and Illustrator. InDesign appears to be fine. I don't have Typinator or TextExpander installed. I do have a Wacom Bamboo tablet with the latest driver. Applications running in the background include: Dropbox, Growl, Default Folder, Alfred, iStat Menus, Bowtie, Slink, LogMeIn, Sidenote, and Notify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd, since Photoshop and Illustrator share almost no code.

It sounds like something broke at the OS event level that is causing problems for Carbon apps (especially when they try to check the state of the keyboard).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

Have disabled X-gestures and text-expander. No changes.

I also run drop box, growl, and growl mail which has stopped working since the update (does that with every update)

I also run font explorer-X, and had thought it seemed like a font corrupt issue of some kind, but I don't think it's that.

I use a magic trackpad which requires additional Apple software to be installed once purchased and connected. Anyone else?

It does seem like the command key is pressed down at all times.

Also, i have a Mac Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, you would need to disable TextExpander and then log out and back in to see if it worked. That's what I did with Typinator and I've been issue-free all day. I disabled xGestures early-on and have yet to re-enable it. I'll try adding xGestures to the mix again tomorrow and see if the issue comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi asdlfkjaslv,

I've disabled as many as I can see and logged out/in, no success. This continues to be EXTREMELY frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To followup, whenever I have xGestures or Typinator enabled, I am experiencing the issue. The issue with xGestures appears after my first successfully recognized gesture, and the issue with Typinator appears after my first successfully recognized expansion.

Ensure that these items (or similar macro / shortcut programs) are not in your Startup Items and then log out and back in and you should be good to go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using any of the software most people are mentioning...no Wacom Tablet...the only app I'm using that has been mentioned is PopChar.

This is making it impossible to work. Is it related to the last Apple update? From 11/16/10, Mac OS X Update 10.6.5. I seem to remember it starting about the time I updated from Software update. Has anyone else noticed this coincidence?

Help this is becoming a very BIG issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it seems to be related to Apple's 10.6.5 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris-

Any fix in the near future? I pretty much am unable to use Photoshop and Dreamweaver at all, InDesign somewhat, and Illustrator barely.

Luckily it's the week before Turkey day and I'm not too crunched.

Has Apple been informed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any reaction from Adobe or Apple would be nice but I think we are a very small group of people/designers who have this issue. Are you guys also all on a Mac Pro?

I think we all have to wait for an update of the Adobe suite or and Mac OS update.
Another solution would be if we could get in touch with the development team of Adobe and tell them about our frustrating problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Early 2008 Mac Pro here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Early 2008 MacBook Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there _are_ Adobe employees reading and commenting on this topic, so I'm confident that Adobe's aware of a potential problem. There are also a few reports on Apples Discussion forums. I suggest you go there and start a thread on this topix as well - how else should they get to know?

I'm using an 2009 iMac 24".

Meanwhile, I was running Photoshop without problems for two and a half days. A couple of minutes ago, when I switched back to Photoshop after working in InDesign for a couple of hours, the problem showed up again. Quitting Photoshop, killing the Dock (as suggested earlier in this thread) and restarting Photoshop didn't help. Restarting the finder didn't help either.

I have no idea what I did "right" for the last 2.5 days but oh so wrong just minutes ago. It's frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use an early MacPro 2008, a MacPro 2009, and a (fairly old) MacBookPro and I have not yet seen this issue.

Are you using a direct keyboard/mouse, or any bluetooth devices?

Some users report that resetting the "SCM" solved their bluetooth problems:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

Then, there is the good old "reset pram," but I don't know if that would make a difference in this case

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/26871.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using an USB keyboard and a BT mouse (Logitech M555b, no Logitech or other 3rd party drivers installed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Magic Mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Adobe is aware of the problem. There are several of us who have been spending a lot of time trying to track this one down, on the forums and elsewhere. So rest assured, we are working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Apple Magic mouse and an Apple BT keyboard

Does not seem that we all use the same hardware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USB Apple Keyboard + Wacom with the latest driver as of today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My keyboards and mice are all direct, so that is one difference. Could you try to reset the SCM and see if that makes a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines