• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 and Twain - Import from scanner

New Here ,
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate any help about import from scanner. Using CS5 to import from scanner was not successful. I tried even pasting a Twain plug in into import/export folder, but again, no success.

Thanks.

Mario Lordeiro

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mario Lordeiro wrote:

I would appreciate any help about import from scanner. Using CS5 to import from scanner was not successful. I tried even pasting a Twain plug in into import/export folder, but again, no success.

Thanks.

Mario Lordeiro

From the service note:

The TWAIN scanner plug-in is no longer installed with Photoshop  CS5, but is available via web download. Supported on 32-bit Windows,  32-bit Mac OS, and 64-bit Mac OS with scanners that support 64-bit  scanner drivers.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82824.html

I don't think the CS5 extras download is ready yet,but keep a watch on it.

http://www.adobe.com/go/ps_cs5_plugins_mac_en

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now that Adobe has published a Mac PS CS5 plug-in for TWAIN scanning, what next?  For example, when you copy the twain plug-in file into the appropriate folder as outlined in the PDF instructions, re-launch PS CS5, the File > Import option is still missing the scanner capability.  And, no, scanning files using native scanner apps and importing them into PS CS5 isn't an acceptable alternative.  Has anoyne found a fix for this or perhaps Adobe has already issued a PS CS5 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works perfectly for me:) YAHOO...I am SO GLAD to have this functionality back!!!

miles267, did you launch Photoshop in 32-bit mode before you tried it out? It will not work in 64-bit mode:)

Christine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christine, thanks for the tip.  that might explain it as I'm running PS CS5 in 64 bit mode only.  So there isn't a working 64 bit plugin for CS5 yet?  Seems somewhat disappointing.  Why would 64 bit users want to run in 32 bit mode just for scanner support?  Unless I'm missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... wait... is that the final verdict?  That the TWAIN plug-in will only work in 32-bit mode?  Because that's not how Adobe described it and if that's the case, it's total BS.

For the record, I'm using VueScan 8.6 it it works beautifully.  If I'm being honest, it actually works better than scanning in PS.  That doesn't change the fact that Adobe sucks for misrepresenting it's capabilities -- I'm still pissed about that.  Truth be told, though, even if the plug-in worked, I'd probably never use it.  I'd still be using VueScan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree completely.  I have also found that the built-in, default Mac OS X imaging app works, but would expect the TWAIN plug-in to work when using PS CS5 in 64 bit mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree -- it should have been rewritten to work in 64-bit mode.  I paid enough for this suite and scanning in Photoshop was one of the things I relied on the most.  I even checked before I upgraded and only did so because it stated 64-bit support.  I should have to go out and spend even more money on another app just for this.  I feel totally deceived.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has 64 bit support.

That does not mean that the TWAIN libraries and standard have 64 bit support, or that third parties have written 64 bit drivers for their devices.

With the current state of TWAIN drivers and libraries, you're lucky that you have any support at all (we almost dropped it because of all the problems TWAIN drivers keep causing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translation: "Shut up whiny customers.  Be happy we allowed you to give us your $2600 and that we gave you anything at all in return."

Thanks, Mr. Adobe-man.  I read you LOUD and CLEAR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take to heart what he said, if there's an issue with the drivers not working, we are lucky to have them.  If VueScan works for you that's great.  I would prefer Adobe releases products earlier rather than later, they are very good with updates.  Take care, Freddi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what he is saying too.  What I take issue with is having no support or response from Adobe at all and then, once we have figured it out ourselves, a random company-man chimes in to say "you're lucky to have anything at all".  To me, that's the equivalent to saying F*** OFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the additional plugins and installed them. and in 64 bit mode, PS doesn't recognize the TWAIN import plugin. It DOES recognize it in 32 bit. Kinda defeats the purpose of having 64 bit editing software to have to switch to 32 just to scan, but at least it is a workaround. Meantime, I have picked up VueScan and am starting to use it and send my scans to PS from there.

Still, with the price of the Master Collection and the cost of a MacBook Pro with additional RAM and Snow Leopard, I can agree that for what was put out, what it is missing seems a disappointment.

And if TWAIN is such a major problem for everyone, why doesn't someone come up with a NEW technology for scanning and market it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I_Know_Nothing_at_all wrote:

…if TWAIN is such a major problem for everyone, why doesn't someone come up with a NEW technology for scanning and market it?

That is exactly what VueScan and SilverFast are.  

The problem is not the TWAIN technology itself, but the carelessly written software written for it by scanner manufacturers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The problem is not the TWAIN technology itself, but the carelessly written software written for it by scanner manufacturers."

I only know about all that nonsense that too well. Potentially very good scanners, ruined to hell by badly written TWAIN drivers, or "their" specific Scanner App. And silly barebones scanner apps which come with several hundred dollar scanners, that have no idea what an icc profile even is!! Now that is what I call a Work-flow killer. Or just a plain nuisense. And especially when their crappy TWAIN drivers crash Photoshop! I never scan in Photoshop anymore anyway, Thank goodness for for SilverFast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2011 Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The built in imaging app doesn't use TWAIN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2011 Aug 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now im angry. Just upgraded to CS5 three days ago, and 25 minutes ago i tried to scan, but photoshop cannot import it? WHY? Waste of time. I cant figure it out. I have 64 bit windows.

Sorry, just wanted to vent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No it certainly does NOT use Twain, It used to be an option though.

ImageCapture on OS X has a pretty simple API, that these "Stupid Scanner manufacturers" (as I called them before, which a lot of them come across as) should be using, its so simple. It makes you wonder what scanner manufacturers are playing at...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helping me. I was away for a few days and that's why I took so long to answer the replies, by the way, very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scanning in Photoshop is a bad idea anyway.  Scanning outside of Photoshop is much more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you say it is inefficient to scan in photoshop?  I always have so much trouble setting up my scan utility for my HP scanner.  I'm at a loss and am going through a period where I'll be doing a lot of scanning.  Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.  Freddi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also prefer to scan straight into Photoshop. It adds in a few extra steps to scan outside of PS:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

talyianna wrote:

…It adds in a few extra steps to scan outside of PS:(

Not true at all.

A utility like VueScan opens up the finished scans right into Photoshop, automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually using VueScan right now because I can't get the TWAIN plug-in to load.  I have copied it to the import export folder, restarted Photoshop, and even restarted my Mac several times but the option never shows up.  I don't remember it being this difficult with CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop itself cannot scan.   When you use the Import menu and the TWAIN plug-in, all you're doing is using Photoshop to call the scanning software.  In the meantime, you're tying up Photoshop while you scan.  That's a very inefficient use of a $999 piece of software.

When you use the scanner's stand-alone software or, even better a utility like VueScan or SilverFast to scan, you can continue using Photoshop while the scanning is taking place in the background.

There are sound reasons why the TWAIN plug-in is no longer part of the default installation of Photoshop for the last two versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines