• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Crashes on Quit

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else seen this and found a solution?

Installed CS5 Standard, OS 10.6.3, MacBook Pro 4,1

When first installed, I could not change prefs - as discussed in thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/628368?tstart=0

I manually changed permissions. CS 5 will now launch and operate. When choosing "Quit" CS5 closes all windows normally, however the menu bar does remains and the spinning beachball displays. After about 20 seconds Mac OS reports that Photoshop quit unexpectedly. A minute later Adobe's crash reporter appears.

I've uninstalled and re-installed.

Stephen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe others can confirm, but it appears this problem only seems to occur
for those users with past Photoshop installs. From what I have seen, it the
system has NEVER had an Photoshop install, it seems to work OK.  Is this
what others are seeing?  This has been my experience.

Still no excuse for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ano,

A professional software company would have put betas out in all likely environments. If Adobe did that, they have managed somehow to avoid anything that might have been learned from installing CS5 into a CS4-running system. The variety of "advice" given those with different problems with CS5 is very worrisome. Adobe tech support is quoted as saying 4 and 5 co-exist just fine but also advising uninstall of cs4, new install of cs5, etc. So it can't be true both ways.

It's interesting to note the heavy emphasis on these free "trial versions." Makes me wonder if the buyer base is so leary of new releases that a substantial number now wait for all -- or some -- of the bugs to get worked out before buying. That's this old cowboy's strategy next time! And now I see that those of us who paid for the upgrade on announcement day in early April are seeming to play second fiddle to those who are struggling with "trial" versions. In other words, no express service for the paying customers that one would expect from a civilized company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe me, I'm not defending them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is an "upgrade" problem. If the permissions had been set to copy those of the corresponding folders from CS4 there would be no problems. As it is I'm still debugging the CS5 Service Manager as we speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R. Franssen wrote:

Yes this is an "upgrade" problem. If the permissions had been set to copy those of the corresponding folders from CS4 there would be no problems. As it is I'm still debugging the CS5 Service Manager as we speak.

Actually I WASN'T performing an upgrade install, I was installing FULL copy, it just so happens that I had previously attemted to install CS2, which never so much as ran, but apparently it was enough to screw up this install. 

In any case I think Adobe needs to invest a bit more in quality control on the Mac platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2010 May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed CS5 on a Mac Pro system with CS4 and for that matter parts of CS3, running Mac OS 10.6.3 and have not had any problems. I also installed CS5 on a brand new MacBook Pro, also without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It gets worser and worser (and yes, I do speak English).  I fixed the permissions problem by following the instructions provided in this thread.  The good news is PS CS5 will now open and close properly and it recognizes my Nvidia GTX 285 Video card as being adequate as a GPU for working with PS CS5.  The bad news is the permissions fix also locked me out of my three disk RAID attached to my Apple RAID card, which just happens to be where all of my audio, video, and photographs are.  I have the same question you are now asking, "How can that possibly be true?"  So far, Apple's only solution to fixing the problem is to trash the RAID and rebuild it.  They have never seen anything like this happen before.  Disk Utilities and RAID utilities see the disk and everything I run on it says everything is OK, but there is a small "lock" icon on the disk icon and it will not allow me to see what is on the RAID disk.  I suppose this problem could get worse, but I'm having a hard time imagining how.  I will probably start all over tomorrow and rebuild everything from scratch.  Something tells me this version of the Creative Suite was not fully vetted and beta tested.  We are at least part of the beta testers and I'm about to lose dozens of hours rebuilding everything to add to the many hours already lost in this mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even at my modest hourly rate, I've wasted more billable time fixing CS5 than it cost for the "upgrade."

These forums seem to be the only way Adobe has found to be notified of problems but they are insufficient when most of the acknowledged problem fixes came from other customers. Or am I missing something, Chris?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or am I missing something, Chris?

Yes, you're missing the many employees posting fixes and working with customers to diagnose the problems.  (some of whom failed to get employee labels on their AdobeID account)

Technical Support is also gathering reports of problems, and possible solutions.

User submitted bug reports also help, when they include contact info so we can get in touch and help solve the issue.

The crash reporter system is gathering data, and we have created bug reports from those and assigned them to engineers to investigate.

You're seeing less than 5% of the troubleshooting going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

You are right that there are probably hundreds of forum posts, blogs and sites posting the fixes and work arounds. What is being said is that Adobe should have been aware of this problem — this is a simple problem. And there are many other small problems as well that are vexing like the loss of settings and customization. Plus the upgrade is not something that I believe we will be raving about. $600 and more is big outlay but more than that we would like for Adobe to be a bit more "Mac friendly" after all we were the original developers for the software. I feel like they've migrated to the Windows world and have neglected the Mac lately. Here's hoping they jump on the bandwagon but of course... we have to work out the kinks with Flash/HTML5 for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK new wrinkle. I've found this in the console log entry:

5/18/10 7:09:41 PM [0x0-0x44044].com.adobe.flash[533] 2010-05-18 19:09:41 : ERROR vcfoundation::system::VCAccessDenied: open('logs/CS5ServiceManager_native.log', 1545) failed <13: Permission denied>

Adobe has an application running in background called CS5 Service Manager and this is generating hundreds of errors for all their apps in the background probably causing the app hangs and crashes. It's is related to permission access to a log file. Just one other missed item during Adobe extensive beta testing on Snow Leopard. (OK, they didn't do a lot of testing, heck their are bills to pay and pockets to line.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(OK, they didn't do a lot of testing...)

5000 users over a year and a half wasn't a lot of testing?

Wow.

This permissions bug appeared after beta testing was completed, and before we shipped the builds to customers -- sometime during the suite integration of the installers.   We're still trying to figure out what went wrong.    We have many people working on a short term solution, and on long term fixes.

Stop with the insults and either help other users solve their problems, or sit back and wait for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 Upgrade Path:

Well most of the struggle is behind me. This is a HUGE permissions clusterf*ck and there are some other significant let downs but hey, its Adobe!

1. Use a utility such as BATCHMOD to change and repair permissions. These are the areas to work with but may not be limited to these alone. I did enable viewing hidden files and had my console close at hand to monitor the progress.

• User/Library/Adobe
  • User/Library/Preferences < all Adobe Preferences >
  • Applications < All Adobe Applications >

You will need to add the User/Administrator for your computer to the ACL list and then apply those permissions to all the enclosed items. That should allow all the CS applications to write the necessary files in the appropriate locations.

But, you will lose your workspaces, your custom actions, styles etc. Those can be found in the CS4 (3) folders and copied to the corresponding CS5 folders. The Adobe Extension manager will allow you to import the extensions you have loaded from previous versions.

I imagine that Adobe is letting us do a lot of the beta testing ourselves. Hey I only lost a half a day! Hooray...

Solved on a Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Franssen,

You have earned a very enthusiastic note of appreciation for your detailed work. Alas, it's wasted on this old cowboy because the technical aspects of this mess are beyond my ken. In the "good old days" I was a programmer but the issues involved in 'service managers' and 'permissions' and using and repairing damage is just not possible. When you are 75 I hope you can still do it!

The arrogance of a monopoly such as Adobe holds in the creative suite functions -- if history is consistent -- will attract competition sooner or later. It's already 'later' for me and I hope Google gets busy or another group and they take the trouble to coordinate the various elements of a new creative software package. That similar functions are treated differently in their commands as you switch from Illustrator's needs to InDesign and over to Photoshop and I can't tell you how nervous I am that one day I'll have to use Flash. Perhaps by that time a truly unifying concept will be in charge and the suite that results will be far more powerful with much less grief and probably be available for half the price to a waiting and friendly customer base. They might even give you a free copy for being a beta tester and I bet there are those on this board who think that's a new idea.

There is possibly what seems to be competition between various groups, the constituency of programmers that 'owns' the different parts of the suites. That's why we have this problem with what should have been TASK ONE, thinking of successfully about installing the new code before you get too busy with the 'goodies' to take care of it properly and -- as a result -- the new stuff doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, looks like I'll be one of the "sit back and wait for the fix" types since I'll spend the next two days rebuilding my system since this entire mess has trashed it top to bottom.  I'll be watching the mailbox for a new set of CS5 Master Collection install disks sometime down the road.  This time, I'll wait a week or so to see how the new set of installation disks works for others before being a "guinea pig."  There are several features I really need in CS5, but the lost time can never be made up.  As an engineer and developer, I've always followed the rule of not being the first to jump on a new product...until now.  Man, I hate it when I have to tell students and coworkers how stupid I was to not follow my own advice.

I don't mean this as an insult, because I agree that insults will get us nowhere in solving the problem.  However, how can something this big sneak by 5000 users (beta testers?) over year and a half and not be isolated?  Something doesn't jive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, how can something this big sneak by 5000 users (beta testers?) over year and a half and not be isolated?  Something doesn't jive.

Read what I said.

After beta testing is completed, the installer team finalizes things for the suite installers.  Somewhere in that process (AFTER beta testing), this bug was introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I read what you said:

Somewhere between beta testing and your loyal users Adobe f*cked up. Now don't take that as an insult. I'm using the product right now. Everything is working and I'm evaluating. Anyone that asks for my help will get it. Loosen up and if the shoe fits...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, In other words, installation was not part of the BETA -- public user -- testing.

So, how can it be that Adobe ships a product of this magnitude with clearly inadequate installation testing on the universe of your possible installation examples? You've built a great rifle but you forgot the bullets. Maybe Adobe is too big to succeed in the complexities of this fifth iteration of the Creative Suite. Hope not but there you are, wondering what went wrong. I, for one, know this isn't the only install problem.

Getting CS5 Photo Downloader to run in a system with CS4 installed is another one and others are mentioned. I'm sure there are more but hope not!

It's as important for us guys out here in your user base that Creative Suite 5 WORKS as it is for Adobe personnel. In our case, we lose business for lack of ability of software. Adobe folks almost certainly won't lose their jobs. Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, how can it be that Adobe ships a product of this magnitude with clearly inadequate installation testing on the universe of your possible installation examples

We've been asking the same thing internally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I'm sure that it is very difficult for all at Adobe and -- trust me on this -- those who have purchased CS5 are counting on your success.

We wish you and all at Adobe well, of course.

That said, Adobe might want to consider the stress at this end of the wire. Keeping your disappointed customers informed in detail will be helpful to them. What's the schedule for getting it right? Suggesting how to "go back" to CS4 without causing further problems might be helpful. You might want -- if you haven't already done it -- to open a separate forum strictly for specific emergencies caused by these installation problems -- HOW TO WORK WITH THEM. In other words, show your customers that Adobe really cares about this mess that is causing problems for their customers.

That's all. Unless, of course, Adobe is planning some sort of  benefit to those who have been damaged. A free download of InCopy, for example, would be good. Many of us think it should have been part of Design Premium for a long time anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill - I would post updates if I had them.

I know the installer team is looking into this, and trying to create something to help customers with permissions issues (as well as fix the installers in the longer term).  But I don't know their progress. I have seen some of the installer people posting here, and that is good news -- I only hope they continue to do so.

When we have news, we'll post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... sorry to disturb ... just another of those guys sending error reports by the dozen. Fixed permissions single handed on each and every possible file affected. First got PS running, then Illustrator.

Uninstalling and reinstalling, even with the cleaning tool, didn't do the job. Only the permission thing worked, and only manually. Using the mentionned batchmod-way didn't solve all the problems for some reason or another.

Self using OS 10.6.3. / Mac Book Pro 3.06 Ghz 8GB

Was happy to be on Mac so far, not having to use the PC crap. This workaround cost me more than the new software ... any chance to deduce that from income tax?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just spent a day installing a new drive in my Mac Pro for the OS and Aps.  I updated everything and eventually installed Master Collection CS5 without anything else on the drive with the exception of the ability to connect to the internet.  Upon opening and closing PS CS5, I still get the message that Photoshop CS5 has crashed. 

Apparently, this has nothing to do with having CS4 previously installed on our systems and I am about as angry as I have ever been in my life. This is complete garbage for software.  I think Steve Jobs really knows what he is taking about when he addresses Adobe's ability to handle software development. Sorry if that is seen as an insult.  As this point it is intended as both an opinion and an insult.  To anyone considering CS5 as a buy....don't!  You will regret it as it will trash your system from top to bottom.  Maybe months from now as all of us as customers have identified all the things that should have been identified and fixed in Beta testing are fixed, it will be worth something.  Right now it is an albatross that will take your system into unusable territory....also known as junk software.  It would be hard to imagine a virus, netbot, trojan, or anything else developed by the scum that do such things that would cause more damage to a user's system.  Is this worth the $2500?  What do you think I think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will regret it as it will trash your system from top to bottom. 

I agree, the installers shouldn't make the mess they do.

But gross and irresponsible exaggeration of the problem won't help.

The installer do sometimes mess up the permissons on some Adobe specific directories.

They don't do anything to most of your system.

The only things they can "damage" are the Creative Suite apps.

And they are still working fine for 95%+ of the users.

We're hounding them to get a fix posted.

But, again, exaggerating the problem and trying to scare other users is not going to help anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I fully understand what you are saying.  However, in my case, my statement about this installation taking your entire system down is not an over-exageration.  I am still rebuilding my system for the second time.  The first time I had CS4 Master Collection in my system and all permission mumbo jumbo, along with the attempts to fix the permissions, managed to not only lock out or make unusable many of my programs, it also put a lock on my RAID drive inside my Mac Pro.  No one anywhere had an explanation and none of the Apple or third party software I tried could unlock it.  The only solution was to destroy the RAID and start over, which I did.  I even put in a brand new hard drive for my OS and Aps.  After getting all the updates on the new fresh OS install (10.6.3), the only program I put on the system is Master Collection CS5.  The very first use of Photoshop, I get a crash report.  So, I do not believe any of my statements are over-exagerated.  I cannot image a virus, a worm, or a trojan causing more damage.

Fingers are crossed that you have your engineers working 24/7 to get this figured out and a fix sent out ASAP.

Thanks and please share any updates the minutes you have information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines