• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 "a problem occured while extracting some files...."

New Here ,
May 02, 2010 May 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used both Firefox and IE to download the update for CS5. All seemed to successfully download to my desktop where I wanted them. When I double clicked on the .exe file, it began to extract and got to 99% (sometimes 100%) before giving me the error "A problem occured while extracting some files. Check availabile space on your computer and the write privilages on the destination folder."

I am using Windows XP, I'm the admin so I'm not sure what privilages I need.

I have 66 G of free space

*I tried using 7zip to extract the files, did not work.

*I tried to just get into the folder which was created during the extract and clicked on set-up.exe - it gave me the message "We've encountered the following issues: Installer failed to initialize. File not found. Please download Adobe Support Advisor to detect the problem." including a link to where I can do that. I did that and so far, it is stuck on "please wait while the application initializes." I'm thinking it's not going to happen so I've come here.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2010 May 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anshum,

So the checksums you said are correct are the from downloading via the download manager or with the direct links I gave.  Also, what browser are you using?

I also downloaded and get proper checksums, so I don't believe the download is getting corrupted.

Can I clarify one thing:  are you running the Photoshop_12_LS1.exe file to start the extraction and installation or are you trying to unzip the Photoshop_12_LS1.7z file manually with some unzip utility?

The .exe and the .7z file are supposed to be in the same directory and then the user is supposed to run the Photoshop_12_LS1.exe which then calles the Photoshop_12_LS1.7z and extracts it and does the installation.

karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using another application to unzip the archive.  I've seen issues  with the default extraction too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What other unzip program would you recommend? I tried 7zip and it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I'm trying a re download now

but there seems to be a delay (Waiting). Perhaps just a busy server?

Running Vista, lots of room and memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

****Problem Solved****

I did a search on my computer for CS5 and found the installer and was able

to install that way. Something was amiss, I do not think it was me, but it's

installed now so I'm happy 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is still not solved for me.

I had my friend download it onto her computer and had her install it (since it comes with 2 licenses), it worked just fine for her. So I copied the downloaded files from her computer and put them onto my computer, still the same exact error message. So I'm thinking that my computer is not getting along with this program for some reason. CS4 works just fine and installed from a CD without issue.

Hopefully a remote session will help solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just called tech support and it was 100% useless. This is upsetting. I just re-downloaded it to my computer. The worst thing is that they don't have updates or even the full version on CD to send to me. If I can't do it from my friend's computer, then I'm out of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2010 May 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem here with the adobe production premium CS5 installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2010 May 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, the problem is that I have Windows XP home edition. You will need 'professional edition' in order to download and install the update to CS5. A disc has been sent to me and they said it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cs5.JPG

1. I have redownloaded 3 times and teh ckecksum was same.
  2. I tried every admin powered privillaeg troubleshooting and other stuff too
  3. I put the files in root folder of my drive
  4. I have tried Winrar - latest ( x64 ) , Winzip 14, AlZIP, and 7zip

***But still my problem not solved and still the same ERROR .. I am using Windows 7 x64 and I am currenly using CS4 too.

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP US >...........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem too, but only on one of my computers. No solution presented on

this page seems to work.

It would appear that this problem is quite real. I sure hope Adobe takes it seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take the downloaded folder from the good computer, burn it to a DVD, then use that good copy to put it on the other computer (you did burn the folder to a DVD just incase you need to reinstall later?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dec9, I'm way ahead of you.

I only posted because it worries me that Adobe has not posted a fix for this yet.

I have the files (already extracted) on my office workstation and will take them home and install those. If I had time I'd download again here at work and see if the problem might be updated and wonky download files. Unfortunately I don't have the original downloaded 7zips to compare to the ones I got last night.

Anyway, let it be known that the problem on my home computer is only going to be solved because I had the foresight to keep my original downloads on one of my comps, not because someone from Adobe has solved the problem.

<looks sternly at Adobe>

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The installer and downloads work for almost everyone else.

So what is Adobe supposed to do about your bad download?

How can Adobe post a fix for something that works for most people, and only fails for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, Adobe could state that downloading this will not work for people who have Windows XP Home Edition (only professional).

Second, if Adobe support cannot help a person to fix the problem, then I suggest they send the disc and only charge shipping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 7.

My suspicion that this is a downloading problem arises fromt he fact that there were a couple of hangs during the download, and it was on my slow and packet loss plagued home connection. It took me ten hours to download the apparently faulty 2.5G installation package.

Also, I'm downloading CS5 Design Premium. Yours was Photoshop?

Anyway, at work I've got huge bandwidth, rarely any packet loss and had no problem at all.

Good Luck,

o.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, Adobe could state that downloading this will not work for people who have Windows XP Home Edition (only professional).

But that isn't true.  So why would Adobe say that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cox - to answer your question.... one of the tech support guys at the "highest" level (after spending hours on the phone with them spanning 3 days) told me that was the problem. He said it.... not me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonja - I'm sorry you got bad information from Tech Support (if you have a case number, we can try to follow up).  Any version of XP should be able to download and install the trials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I no longer have my case number, Adobe resolved it by sending me a DVD and they didn't charge for shipping because of all of the trouble I went through. I now have CS5 and everything works as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonja - glad that you got the DVD and the install worked.

And the tech support process... well, we're still working to improve that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had finally figured out the problem. Place the files in a low level folder like c:\cs5. Apparently the unzip that cs5 does can not handle long directory paths. Previously it was on my desktop which is a long path and wasn't working. It will successfully extract to your desktop as long as it starts from simple directory...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scattered - thanks for the update.

Sorry you ran into a problem, but glad you managed to find a way around it.

And we probably need to make sure first line tech support knows about that.

And now that we know about that limitation, hopefully the installer team can fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I tried unzipping TO my root from my download folder, but not FROM my root. Will try this when I get home and then hopefully Adobe can put at least one "confirmed" on this solution.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, let me correct an incongruency in your post, Mr. Cox: you say it works for "almost everyone" yet also state that it fails "only" for me. These can't both be correct, and of course we all know the latter is clearly incorrect because we can see from this thread that someone else has also had the problem.

Also, I am not sure that the problem has been attributed with absolute certainty to a "bad download", although I tend to agree that it's the most likely explanation. Has it?

Now consider this: I posted here for the exact reason that Adobe needs to know this is not a problem with only one computer and one user. I took some time out of my work day because I appreciate Adobe.

They might want to know that I had the problem on a fresh install on my home computer, one that was only days ago running CS5 from ym first install, which went without a hitch. In solving this, I am happy to post any system information, error logs, checksums, or ANYTHING that Adobe would like to see that would result in the resolution of this problem. As you know I can solve the problem myself because I have the original uncorrupted files here at work. But, really, being as Adobe has decided to use a special download and installation package, which I know can be somewhat quirky from past experience, I think it is Adobe's responsibility to listen to download/installation problems. AND as their customer service has never been anything but exemplary in the past, Mr. Cox, this is exactly why I posted here. Because they do listen.

What should they do? It seems to me, although I'm no programmer, that in this day and age there is no reason that a download should be completed and still not function. There are solutions aplenty that ensure data is transmitted without error, and I quite frankly do not understand why they have not already used such a solution (if bad download is in fact the problem here). For example, can they not make a downloader that runs a checksum for us, and tells us if we have a bad download, or runs packets through one to make sure that everything is coming in correctly as we download? Can corrupted packets be discarded and redownloaded automatically so that crappy connections still get their software in pristine condition, and nobody has to post or call in about stuff like this?

That would seem to be a good idea.

Cheers,

o.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines