• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 trial issues with ram and content aware issues.

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run a vista 32 machine with 4 gigs.  I have tried just about everything including running the machine in minmum and loading only windows and adobe CS5.  I still get the error of "Could not fill because there is not enough memory (RAM)".  I have tried playing with the performce settings and GL settings to give adobe as much memory as it needed but it is still not working.

I am working with a file that is 6.49mb which is the average of what my raw file convert to when I download them from my camera.  Now the only way I can get it to work is seriously downgrade the file in size and then the content aware fill works great or decrease the area that is going to be filled.

So am I missing something or do I have to convert everything over to 64 bit and throw 8 gigs in this machine to get this to work with those tyoe of file sizes?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so the "other side" is heard from, I have been trying Content Aware Fill, both through the Spot Healing Brush and the delete key, and so far I'm not seeing the problem.  Neither on 32 bit or 64 bit CS5 (Windows 7 x64).

Why would I not see this problem and others do?  I feel so left out. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, life's a b*tch, then you die!

One element I would interject here is a check of system files in the event troubles are perplexing. In addition to using something like CC Cleaner, MS provides a System File Check utility, available from Millennium on. You activate it by going to Search and entering "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes). Your system will be scanned and you may be asked for the installation disk as not all the files may be in the location to which sfc compares.

It is also recommended to Google SFC.exe for more info. Most refer to XP, but I just invoked it here on win7 64 and it ran.

Any port in a storm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2010 May 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to mention that I have the same problem. It's really annoying having to restart CS5 only to have this function do it's great work!

Win 7 32 Bit, 3GByte, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS.

Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this problem too, hope they get it fixed before my trial runs out.  No point in upgrading if content aware can't even work on my computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT. I had problems and I didn't even try content aware fill!  I hope I'm seeing the same problem because I thought I was going to have to stay with CS4 and I kinda want content aware fill and the new HDR.  I like to run Lightroom, Bridge, and Photoshop at the same time, along with a browser and miscellaneous smaller stuff and I can do that with CS4.  I'm running Windows XP, 4G memory, Intel Core 2 CPU and it is adequate with CS4.

Re OpenGL, are we talking about a setting in Photoshop itself?  Edit > Preferences > Performance  then GPU settings.  Enable OpenGL Drawing is not checked and I never changed it.  Is there some other way to "disable OpenGL"?

Judy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2010 Jun 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Judy-

I'm running CS5 Extended on a Dell XPS 630i, Intel Core 2 Duo, 32 bit Vista,  4 GB, with 2-GeForce 9800 GT (512) in SLI (with latest drivers) and was getting "could not fill because there is not enough memory" errors when attempting to run the Content Aware Fill feature.

I made these changes and they have not reoccured:

Go to Edit -> Prefs -> Performance

- set Memory Usage in the Ideal Range (as recommended)

- Cache Levels: 6

- Cache Tile Size: 1024k

For GPU settings keep Enable OpenGL Drawing CHECKED

- open Advanced Settings and change Mode to BASIC

- Vertical Sync and Anti-alias Guides are CHECKED

Close Photoshop and restart

So far, so good with these settings.  Maybe this will help with this issue on your system.

trfab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

I can confirm from my own machine that this seems to be a problem related to OpenGL. Here is the proof:

(1) Initially, OpenGL was turned off (the "factory" default), and I didnĀ“t have any memory issues

(2) Then, I had OpenGL turned on because I wanted to play with some 3D features. Consequently, I had memory issues.

(3) After that, I turned OpenGL off again and everything went fine and smoothly again - no more memory issues!

Even with RAW files of >50 MB size I did not have any more memory issues after truning off OpenGL. I used the options menu to restrict RAM usage  to ~800 MB, and this was still enough for content-aware filling.

My system is also not a "super modern" one:

I have "just" 2GB RAM, a Core 2 E6850 (which used to be one of the best Dual Cores a few years ago), and Windows XP 32 Bit.

No need to work on a 64 Bit machine for now. And also no need to increase RAM to astronomic heights šŸ˜‰

So far from my side.

All the best

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trfab,

Thanks!! This has greatly helped. I already had the open GL checked so it seems that the cache levels and sizes have made a difference.

80% fix. Good one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trfab, Thanks for your detailed workaround.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me.

Keep trying guys, there may yet be a universal solution somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Content aware fill is essentially useless for panoramic images (to fill in edge detail after stitching) on my 2Gb Win XP machine. I can only make it work on a rather smallish 3000x1500 image without encountering the ram issues.

Fortunately there is other good stuff in CS5 since content aware fill is no longer the "killer feature" I had initially anticipated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same ram problem for me (Seven, i7, 8Gb DDR3...) but not only in content aware tool but also when I open the photo (Canon 5D2 raw) from ACR.

Seems there is less problem when I use small jpg files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a lot of RAM problems also. I even get "not enough RAM" errors when using selection tools.  Never had these RAM problems with CS3.

I have 3GB RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I see in the different posts :

the problem hits people with lots of RAM.

For me it looks like the app requests "what's the available RAM ?",

gets something above 2 GB and misunderstands the result.

- using a remnant 32 bits int for memory size ?

- using an obsolete memory related API call ?

Hint ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under the  title, I read "this question is possibly answered".

Which response is the possible answer, I can't find it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"possibly answered" just means that someone replied.

Oh, and see post 50.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2010 May 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone having that bug

and

less than 2GB RAM (or =2GB)   ?

(i.e. Laptops)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2010 May 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a programming/configuration issue, judging from the number of reported problems. We need a CS5 official statement and a commitment to fix asap. (AMD)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a paid version, not a trial, and I have the same issues.

Ram problems to open files when I come from ACR, and also when I try to save DNG files from an ancient (2003) to the new version.

I have tried different settings for ram in the preference dialog.

The only way to make CS5 work is to use relatively small jpg files.

Just wanted to know if Adobe was still working on the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digitline wrote:

Just wanted to know if Adobe was still working on the problem.

Well if Chris Cox says they are then I guess they are!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is paid too. I have two gig of accessible RAM on XP 32 bit. Generally CS is fine with even fairly large files fo rme. It sounds as if there is more than one issue with the manner in which memory is managed in CS5. I suspect it's a false reading from within CS5 rather than a real out of RAM situation. I would love to see something from Adobe acknowledging this issue. I suspect another update before too long. I sure hope so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update on my situation. Its been over a week now since I turned off OpenGL support. Content aware working on moderate sized files (eg 60MB

and under). Anything over that and if I try to work on large areas - out of memory error. Went out and bought a Toshiba Qosmio notebook (Win 7 x64, 8GB DDR3 memory, twin 500GB HDD's, NVIDIA 250 video card). CS5 works fine as does Content Aware. I will do some trials with both systems over weekend using larger files to see if issue is restricted to 32bit.

Please don't hurry too much with patch, would like it fixed and fixed well. However don't take too long either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things started working after two weeks of trying just about everything. Working in 32 bit XP pro with large files- and 4 gigs ram -121M for single layer... Trial version. Content Aware Fill worked for small areas only. Filters worked without crashing or giving an out of ram window. Mini Bridge files appeared for the first time. How did I get this? I added a password for XP, opened bridge independently from Photoshop and used Photomatics pro to make a Tiff. Then Photomatix opened the image in ACR. Filters like Nik color eFex and Viveza and worked quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are an acrobat man  šŸ™‚

I just can work with snapshot files, S90 works fine šŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the trial version either, but the upgrade...and "content aware" is past the point of ridiculous.  I have XP for Media, so it has a huge amt of space and also have two external drives.  I cloned one knitted hat...well, I've cloned a kazillion things is CS3...and it turned out perfectly!  I wanted a bright flower out of a white cap...again knitted with all the tiny stitches apparent.  Did this in CS3...with the clone tool and AMAZING results in color and consistency!  It looks exactly as if the stitches continue w/out a break...beautiful job.  THEN, I thought I would try the same photo with CONTENT AWARE.....OMG!  It even picked up part of her arm...and yes, I had made a selection of the flower!!!  Had a small brush!....WHUZZZZ WRONG WITH THIS PROGRAM???  I was sooooooooooo, soooooooooooo excited and so far, it has been nothing but a NIGHTMARE!!!.....and I've used Adobe Photoshop for a minimum of 6 years doing digital designs for designers to sell their "stuff."...on their creative teams.  Lately, all I've done is sit on hold on the phone to adobe and repeat my name and all the vital statistics one after the other 48 kazillion times.  That is except for one senior tech who is TRYING to help with an extraction problem, but last night I missed his call by seconds!  DANG!

If you think I'm doing anything wrong...or YOU DON'T HAVE ISSUES with either the features...  CONTENT AWARE OR REFINE MASK, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE WRITE ME!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just keep bugging them. This needs a fix. :):( I do have trouble figuring how this ever got past the beta stage.... (and oh my you are such an animated person!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines