• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS6 PS Cropping Tool has many problems for working professionals...

Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2012 Oct 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I understand that the kids at Adobe would like to change things around in "upgrade versions" of Photoshop.  However for working photographers and professionals that crop A LOT of images in the course of their work, the new cropping tool is a DISASTER!  A few may like the new tool... however, there are many that don't.  http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_6_crop_tool?utm_content=reply_link&u...

To the point, here's how to fix the problem.  Adobe, you have the CS5 PS cropping tool code... please put that code EXACTLY as it is in CS5 into the "Classic" option for CS6 PS.  This way, those who WORK with Photoshop and PAY to use the software can get their work done using the excellent crop tool as was in CS5 (which I have downgraded to so I can get work done) and those who are giddy about the new crop tool can play to their hearts content.

Adobe, you are upsetting a lot of paying clients with your new crop tool and the "faux" classic tool option.  You might want to address this issue soon!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be affected by Windows updates as well?

Today I found my crop tool suddenly only want to rotate, which makes it completely useless ...

I have to agree with previous posts that CS6 is the worst Photoshop "upgrade" so far .. keeps crashing, numerous problems ...

Anyone else having this rotating issue and found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! I also hate the crop tool in photoshop CS6 Bridge and home page.

After this and because of this I do not plan on buying any more upgrades: they only get worse!

I am sorry I just bought the CS6 upgrade now.

Now I know not to use CS6 but go back to CS5. Anyone thinking of buying CS6 save your money!

Adobe  you need to give all the Photoshop CS6 buyers a free upgrade to CS7 if you fix the basic crop tool : otherwise thinking most of us will not buy again!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the crop tool in CS6 first came out, there were some things I didn't like about it, but there were others that I really liked, such as having the image rotate rather than the crop box.  I find this much easier to use to get the rotation that I want rather than cocking my head to the side trying to eyeball the result.

As far as the settings, yes, they take a bit of getting used to, but I've found that I can crop just as quickly as pre CS6 versions, and I crop thousands of images also. 

Despite Adobe's non responsiveness on the forums to some topics like this, they do listen.  They spent a lot of effort to make improvements of the crop tool for PS CC.  While it may not be prefect to some folks' standards, it is an improvement over CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Adobe is willing to SELL me a new copy of Photoshop, perhaps I'll find out if the abortion which is the CS6 crop tool has been improved. If they continue to insist that I RENT software from them, they will never see another dime of my money.

We have one word for you, Adobe: Quark. Study their trajectory, because you are on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what I hear you saying csuebele, is "if you don't fork over the money on a monthly basis, Adobe doesn't care about your opinions", did I get that right?  I started in 1991 with Photoshop and have purchased every version since until I beta tested CS6.  I have friends who have CS6 and they all HATE the crop tool.  As a rodeo photographer I have to crop up to 500 photos a day.  The new crop tool doesn't allow me to quickly do this.  As a result I haven't purchased CS6. 

It amazes me that Adobe would throw me, a loyal lifetime customer, to the curb like this.  I don't want to "rent" Adobe CC.  I want to purchase a copy, install it and use it when and where I want to.  I have noticed an interesting trend with Adobe PS updates.  CS was a good program, CS 2 had many problems and bugs, CS3 worked great, CS4 was the buggiest version ever, CS5 works great and that brings me to CS6.  Don't own it, don't want it.  The crop tool itself is a deal breaker for me.  After using PS for over 20 years, why would I want to learn a new method to crop?  It just doesn't feel right moving the image and not the crop.  To lengthy a process, when time is money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

grshooter, I used to hear that the odd versions of PS were better, so there maybe something to that.  As far as Adobe caring, yes I think they do, but they're not going to invest in old products, just like any other company would either.  You think Apple is going to support old OS's or old hardward?  They're going to tell you what you need, like you don't need cd/DVD drives or the ability to view Flash.  Microsoft's switch to Win 7 made tons of software and hardware obsolete, but I'm sure you're very well aware of all that. Since you were a beta tester, I'm sure you know very well how it works getting bugs fixed, new features created etc.  It's all about demand and resources.  Since you said you're a loyal lifetime customer, then most likely you've paid close to, if not more, than what the subscription is now costing.  So for the price of a very cheap dinner out, you can have PS for a month and use it when and where you want to.  Yes, if you stop paying you stop playing, but who wants to use the same old software that's going to be obsolete in a few years?  Yes, I own a bunch of old versions of PS that are pretty much worthless now - why would I want to use them?  I have the latest PS on my home computer and then I have to go to work and use CS5 or CS6 and then I realize all the things I can't do that I can at home.  As far as the crop tool, Adobe continues to "improve" it.  Like anything, it's a matter of getting use to the new controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another vote of support for csuebele's comments.

There is a big factor at work here:  Resistance to change.  We all feel it.   All I can suggest in the general case is embrace the change.  It keeps the mind healthy and flexible.

Be happy there are developers leading the charge who sometimes make things better regardless of the anticipated outcry of those who feel the resistance most strongly.

Another thing - many folks have a negative initial reaction to accepting a subscription plan vs. purchasing a license to use software.  But just think about it:  Perhaps you bought the upgrade to Photoshop every time a new one was released.  The $10 / month plan is no different, assuming you plan to continue that practice, save for the fact that you don't have to lay out the money up front.  So buy some ADBE stock with it. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe did this several years ago, made a major change to the way tools worked and then because of the backlash from customers they brought back the original tools.  Here we go again.  I am not against change as Noel suggests, but rather I believe in the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  The crop tool has worked great and is a wonderful tool.  To make such major changes in one fell swoop seems counterproductive.  Getting use to the "instant" crop is one thing but then to change the way the crop is moved is another.  I have read so many complaints against the crop tool and very few in favor.  I don't believe they listened to the vast majority of their customers when they decided to make the changes.  If they had, I don't believe they would have made these changes.  As far as Apple goes, they have had to revamp after making changes recently.  For example the whole remake of the look of OS7, just because a software designer likes the "cool new look" doesn't mean the end users are going to agree.  Many other companies have made changes, and then after claiming they are successful, had to change them back.  Look at "NEW COKE".  I believe that lasted 3 months before the switch back.  I have seen some comments online where Chris Cox, a developer on PS, has been trying to explain why they decided to make such radical changes.  The masses don't seem to be agreeing.

Trevor states it "is way better once you get the hang of it".  Trevor, I had "gotten the hang of" the old cropper and really don't want to change the whole concept of how I think about cropping.  Many times I don't crop from the outside edge of an image, but rather take it in just a little.  Now one has to "find" the handles and proceed from there.  Slows me down.  If the damned change was so good Noel, then why have they made recent changes in the CC version?  Why would you make an existing customer "relearn" how to use your software?  Seems very counter productive.  Trevor, word on the web is the "classic" doesn't work like the classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to find the handles on the edges to use the crop tool, you can just draw a crop the same way you did with the old tool.  The full crop just appears when you first select the tool.  That can actually save you time, for as you mentioned, if you want to just trim off a little from the side you would have had to select the draw out the crop to the entire canvas. Now you just have to grab the one side or corner and drag in a bit and don't have to zoom out to do so.  And, yes, Adobe is refining it because they are listening to their customers and to their complains about it.  I was one of those who complained about it.  From what I hear, it's the same way LR crops (I don't use LR), but I haven't heard any one complain that they want LR to crop the way the old PS crop worked.  As far as the moving of the image, it does seem odd which direction the image moves, but as I stated in my original post, I love how it rotates, as I find it much easier to get something level with the new tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

newest CC version works well for me....AFTER I set it up to work the way I like it (not default)....I set it so image does not move.

Really nice to crop to bigger canvas.

Nice to be able to zoom far in and still grab an edge (no looking for a handle like the older version).

ctrl+crop tool = easy to set image level too.

Doug.S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug.S wrote:

newest CC version works well for me....AFTER I set it up to work the way I like it (not default)....I set it so image does not move.

Exactly, exactly, exactly.

I'm not sure everyone knows about all the settings or has experimented with them.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is late, but I use an earlier PS version at home. At work, I use CS6 and I absolutely HATE the crop tool. The earlier version was so utterly simple and uncluttered and allowed me to easily decide EXACTLY where I wanted to crop my photo. Now it's a major annoyance having the always click Control-H to hide the marquis that obscures the outer edge of the image every time I use the crop tool, and if I undo the crop, the marquis is back. Tools are supposed to work for you, not against you. Why can't the REAL classic crop tool be an option. I would much prefer the CS2 or even Photoshop 7 or earlier version of what used to be a simple and efficient tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the old crop tool:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chuck, but that's not the old classic (totally uncluttered) version of the tool. I don't need rule of thirds or any other grid to get in the way of my image when I'm trying to crop, and you still have to constantly hide (Control-H) the outline to see the image all by itself. The interface gets in my way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  The crop tool in CS6 and CC is way better once you get the hang of it, and that is hardly rocket science.  You can create crop presets if you have lots of similar crops to do, or if you really can't get the hang of it, use the Classic Mode option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has anyone figured out how to fix what these kid programmers broke in the crop tool?  I'm paid to get photos done, not figure out how to fix everything Adobe messes up with their unneccecary and unrequested "upgrades"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines