• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cursor goes to arrow regardless of tool selected

Enthusiast ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've run into a really weird problem.  I might be using the brush or clone stamp.  Suddenly, my brush cursor turns to a standard white arrow and stays there regardless of what tool I select. True whether I use my Cintiq and pen or whether I use a mouse on another monitor.  If I open a new file, the brush will work for a time before it reverts to the white cursor.  My only recourse is to shut down Photoshop and restart, which is annoying as hell.  My efficiency is 100%.  Does anyone know what is happening?  Better yet, how to correct it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your preferences? Will it do that if you are just using the mouse and don't have the Cintiq plugged in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please indicate system and version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there -- 

I am experiencing the same issue with PS 21.2.3, Windows, and a Wacom Intuos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution?  I am experiencing the same problem with my Wacom.  I think it is related to using the Space bar to pan the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I also think it is relating to the space bar/pan.  Unfortunately, no, I haven't found a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are other threads documenting this issue as well. The only fix I have found is to restart Photoshop. Please keep bumpning this thread. Adobe, we pay good money for a working software. Please at least acknowledge this bug. It happens in a one hour session at least 3-5 times. It becomes annoying, a very frequent bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still around on 23.0.0, I hope Adobe fixes it soon.

A workaround that works for me without having to disable features or restarting photoshop is:

Window>Arrange>New Window for ...

I'm on an Intel Windows PC with Nvidia RTX graphics and Wacom Intuos4 PTK-440.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this still. Restarting photoshop or creating a new window will resolve the issue. However, lately I'll have random periods where it happens every minute for 30-60 minutes and it totally disrupts my working process. 

On a Macbook Pro 2019
Version 11.4

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing this issue as well. I'm going bananas.

Photoshop Ver. 23.3.2

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080.

Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the double post. I've had an insight prompted by one of the responses above, and I'm finally able to accurately reproduce the bug. It appears to occur when I'm using the pen and holding the space bar and then use the pen to quickly stop from panning (while still holding the space bar). Every time I do that, the cursor turns into a white arrow cursor, and I'm unable to affect the canvas, but can still use the pen to change tools and access menus. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! 
I was actually able to find what causes the problem. You only need to go to preferences > tools and disable "flick panning". I tried it out by enabling and disabling it and the problem came up only when it was enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that did not work for me 😞

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently it is my issue too. Some milliseconds I see the white arrow when using a brush. I use photoshop and wacom drivers with the latest updates. One solution I found is this: Go to Wacom Tablet Properties then Mapping then uncheck Use Window Ink (left down). Close it and use the brush just for a few lines (not for draw/paint of course because it has no sensitivity now). Then open again Wacom Tablet Properties, go to Mapping and check again Use Windows Ink. I think it might solve the problem and you can use the brushes normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem on the latest PS and Xence tablet, it's driving me mad. Unfortunately it seems like a recent windows update completely disabled WinTab, so windows ink is now required -  as a consequence a whole raft of things are now buggy/horrible to use.  It's a complete mess.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever change you make you should first exit photoshop, make changes then reopen photoshop. At least that works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trust me, I've reloaded and reset preferences in this damn thing more often than I'd like to recount.

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same issue. The only solution I know of is closing and reopening the program. It happens ever 20 minutes or so and interupts work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines