Highlighted

Curves adjustment eyedropper tools are turning my image red

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm a Photoshop novice and I'm trying to correct the yellow color cast of an image by following the steps provided in a book. (Using the White Point tool in the Curves adjustment on the white part of the girl's dress)

As stated in the subject, my Curves adjustment is giving me unexpected results. Every time I try to use the white or gray eyedropper tool in the Curves menu and click on any area in the image, the entire image gets an extreme red cast. Oddly, the black eyedropper tool works fine. The same thing happens when I use the Levels adjustment.

Before using the white eyedropperBefore using the white eyedropper

After using the white eyedropperAfter using the white eyedropper

I'm not sure what's wrong. I've tried to restart Photoshop and I've also reset all my tools. This is the first time Photoshop has given me any problems. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by marliton | Adobe Community Professional

Hi. Maybe the eyedropper has values stored. Double click in the eyedropper and check the color values.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Curves adjustment eyedropper tools are turning my image red

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm a Photoshop novice and I'm trying to correct the yellow color cast of an image by following the steps provided in a book. (Using the White Point tool in the Curves adjustment on the white part of the girl's dress)

As stated in the subject, my Curves adjustment is giving me unexpected results. Every time I try to use the white or gray eyedropper tool in the Curves menu and click on any area in the image, the entire image gets an extreme red cast. Oddly, the black eyedropper tool works fine. The same thing happens when I use the Levels adjustment.

Before using the white eyedropperBefore using the white eyedropper

After using the white eyedropperAfter using the white eyedropper

I'm not sure what's wrong. I've tried to restart Photoshop and I've also reset all my tools. This is the first time Photoshop has given me any problems. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by marliton | Adobe Community Professional

Hi. Maybe the eyedropper has values stored. Double click in the eyedropper and check the color values.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate that here with your image. You have reset the tools, have you tried resetting Preferences (Preferences >General >Reset Preferences on Quit then close and restart Photoshop)?

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dave. That helped! I had been resetting by right-clicking the tool icon at the top left.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marlon Ceballos.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right, I just remembered that I followed a tutorial beforehand that had me store values to the eyedroppers. Thank you! If this happens again, do you know how I can reset the values without resetting all of my Photoshop preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double click the eye droppers in the Properties panel for the curve layer and set the white eyedropper to HSB 0,0,100

the grey to HSB 0,0,50 and the black to HSB 0,0,0

Well spotted Marlon 🙂

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines