• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Curves tool: how to reverse the black-white orientation?

Participant ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For more than 20 years, I have used the curve tool with black in the lower left and white in the upper right. Recently I got a new studio computer and set it up from scratch, rather than migrating data from my previous computer. Thus I did a fresh install of Photoshop 2020. The curve tool is oriented opposite of what I am used to: White is in the lower left corner and black is in the upper right.

How can I reverse the black-white orientation of the curve tool so that black is in the lower left and white is in the upper right?

Occasionally I have seen the curve tool reversed when opening certain files. What causes this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Take a look at screenshot below

curves display options.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that from Properties panel menu > Curves Display Options you have selected Light instead of Pigment, I think that is what you are asking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant see where that option is on the panel. Can you send a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at screenshot below

curves display options.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Not easy to find unless you already know where it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not a clear answer! How to reverse black and white in Curves! Black should be on the left not right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be that you are using a CMYK file but you usually use RGB files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That might be. I have people who bring me rediculously small and substandard files and want me to make large prints of them. They never seem to have an original that I can scan. I will go back and look at the file from the other day that was causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines