• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Date taken is saved when using 'save for web' but not 'export as'

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started using 'Export As' recently instead of 'Save for Web' and just noticed that the date taken is not saved. If the file is viewed using the Windows Properties the capture date is shown only if I use the legacy 'save for web'. I have made sure that the 'copyright and contact info' is checked in the 'Export as' dialogue on export but this makes no difference.  I would like to continue using using Export As but I need the date taken/captured to be saved.  I've attached screen shots of the properties boxes of the file saved both ways.  Thanks. Jim

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think date taken would be EXIF meta data Camera data not copyright or contact meta data.  It is quite common to strip meta data in web files. Export is for exporting Web files.  Camera data will likely be stripped.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm saving the files in jpg format for emailing, posting to web, whatever.  I have been doing this for over 20 years with the "save for web' dialogue in Photoshop and the 'date taken' in the camera exif is always saved to the metadata in the jpg file. Adobe recently added a new way to save files as jpg using the 'Export as' dialogue and they are encouraging people to use this instead of the 'save for web'.  You have 2 choices in the 'Export as' dialogue.  1 is to save NO metadata.  Number 2 is to save the copyright/contact info. It does not prompt you to save all the metadata that would include the data taken.   You are correct about websites stripping the metadata.  I am not posting to a website.  I am saving my TIF files as jpgs.  Adobe seems to have removed the full metadata save when creating the jpg files in the new dialogue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are not saving for the web use Save As and save you image with the best quality you can not a degenerated jpeg. If you have been editing yout image save as PSD save you work as well. In case you want to make additional alterations in the future you do need to start from your Raw image file.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines