de-wave a scanned image

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warp, puppet warp, and prespective warp are all letting me down here.

I use this graph reading program at work that reads .pdf graphs.  It's awesome on computer generated graphs.  It's supposed to be good with scanned graphs, too.  SUPPOSED TO.  If I can get a straight enough scan it does alright, but I'm running into lots of issues with wavy scans.  I figure there should be some way to clean them up with photoshop.  The problem is I'm not super familiar with the warp tool.  I've watched a lot of Youtube videos to try and figure it out, but nothing seems to match my exact version of Photoshop or work quite the same as shown by the demonstrator.  I want to create pinned points (I'm not sure if that's what they're called, but the symbol is a pin) and move those around without affecting other points.  I can do this on my work computer.  I cannot do this on my home computer.  We both have CS6, but I'm guessing there's some differences between the commercial license and the personal license?  First of all, is a warp tool even the quickest way to do this or is there a better choice?  Second, how do I set about getting "pins" when they don't seem readily available on the home version?

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

de-wave a scanned image

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warp, puppet warp, and prespective warp are all letting me down here.

I use this graph reading program at work that reads .pdf graphs.  It's awesome on computer generated graphs.  It's supposed to be good with scanned graphs, too.  SUPPOSED TO.  If I can get a straight enough scan it does alright, but I'm running into lots of issues with wavy scans.  I figure there should be some way to clean them up with photoshop.  The problem is I'm not super familiar with the warp tool.  I've watched a lot of Youtube videos to try and figure it out, but nothing seems to match my exact version of Photoshop or work quite the same as shown by the demonstrator.  I want to create pinned points (I'm not sure if that's what they're called, but the symbol is a pin) and move those around without affecting other points.  I can do this on my work computer.  I cannot do this on my home computer.  We both have CS6, but I'm guessing there's some differences between the commercial license and the personal license?  First of all, is a warp tool even the quickest way to do this or is there a better choice?  Second, how do I set about getting "pins" when they don't seem readily available on the home version?

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 22, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no home and commercial versions.  There were two versions of CS6 sold - standard and extended, but there was no difference in the warp versions, that includes puppet warp,  in CS6 and CS6 extended (the differences were in 3D features and image analysis tools).
Perespective warp was not introduced until Photoshop CC

Why not post an image and we may be able to advide the best way to handle it.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is the difference.  I have the extended and usually have more functionality than at work (re: image analysis).  Both of us have prespective warp.  At work in prespective warp, I first define the four corners.  Then I can move those corners in 2 dimensions.  It warps the corner itself and the area immediately around it, but leaves the other corners alone.  This solves most of my grid problems.  At home, perspective does not let me define corners and I can only move in one direction.  When I move a corner, it also moves an adjacent corner, turning the shape into a parallelogram.  This does not help.  Perspective warp has similar issues.  I'll warp one spot, fix another spot, and then the first spot has moved when I changed the second.  I'm looking for a way to fix an area (probably using that pin tool) and not have it affect areas on the other side of the graph.  Yes, I could probably use areas to isolate sections, but that would be an annoying amount of layer separations and I'm not sure I wouldn't end up with a jog where the grid lines from separate layers don't match.  I wouldn't mind posting a picture, but I'm not sure how to post a picture showing that I don't have a feaure.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me, the line should say "puppet warp has similar issues"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 0
davescm LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant post an image of the warped scan and we can see if we can advise the best way to straighten it

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2020 0