Highlighted

Default shadow effect

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

I am using the latest Photoshop version and I am quite puzzled by a feature that I'd like to further use. 

When I select an object (to remove its background) and then select mask it opens a full screen Properties window which shows the object without the background (as it should be) however it also shows there being a perfect shadow for the product. Once I exit that window it is gone.

What is this feature, how do I enable it? I've attached screenshots to show you what I mean on each respective screen.

Thank you!!

Topics

How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Default shadow effect

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

I am using the latest Photoshop version and I am quite puzzled by a feature that I'd like to further use. 

When I select an object (to remove its background) and then select mask it opens a full screen Properties window which shows the object without the background (as it should be) however it also shows there being a perfect shadow for the product. Once I exit that window it is gone.

What is this feature, how do I enable it? I've attached screenshots to show you what I mean on each respective screen.

Thank you!!

Topics

How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using Layer > Layer Style > Drop Shadow

Vase-shadow.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, thanks for your super fast suggestion. I did try the drop shadow but that doesn't seem to be quite the same effect. Heres another screenshot of it inside the properties tab. The shadow seems to be cast from the ground very naturally, where as the drop shadow seems to do a general shadow effect behind the entire photo.

I hope I'm explaining this ok, probably not! 

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.31.15 pm.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be using the wrong PS tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't any special feature which will automatically create cast shadow below extracted object, at least from what I know. Cast shadow like one on your screenshot is not always desired so it is not feature nor there is some option to ask photoshop to determine light source and create perfect cast shadow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Properties window you mention seems to be the 'Select and Mask' window.  There is no drop shadow function in that window. Could the shadow already be on the original photo?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines