Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default Tool Upon PS Startup

Advocate ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm a new PS user. I'm currently using the trial version of PS 22.3.0 on a Windows 10 PC. Is it possible to set the default tool when PS starts? As it is now, it starts up with the tool last used in the prior use. It just a little confusing to me while I'm trying to learn when I see a different tool each time I start.

Thanks!

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

You cannot change that behavior.

But the tools have single key shortcuts, so if you for instance want to see the hand tool the next time you open Photoshop, press H before closing it. You can see the shortcuts by hovering your mouse pointer over each tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot change that behavior.

But the tools have single key shortcuts, so if you for instance want to see the hand tool the next time you open Photoshop, press H before closing it. You can see the shortcuts by hovering your mouse pointer over each tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's how I made the Move Tool the default tool on startup, doesn't matter what was the last selected tool - this script makes the Move Tool the default selected tool when PS launches.

Open notepad and paste this in:

// =======================================================
var idslct = charIDToTypeID( "slct" );
var desc4 = new ActionDescriptor();
var idnull = charIDToTypeID( "null" );
var ref1 = new ActionReference();
var idmoveTool = stringIDToTypeID( "moveTool" );
ref1.putClass( idmoveTool );
desc4.putReference( idnull, ref1 );
var iddontRecord = stringIDToTypeID( "dontRecord" );
desc4.putBoolean( iddontRecord, true );
var idforceNotify = stringIDToTypeID( "forceNotify" );
desc4.putBoolean( idforceNotify, true );
executeAction( idslct, desc4, DialogModes.NO );

Save it as Select Move Tool.jsx (remembering to set the Save as type: to All files (*.*)

Now in PS, got ot File>Scripts>Scripts Event Manager

In the dropdown to the right of Script select Browse... then add the Select Move Tool.jsx file located on your computer. Make sure the file is shown in the box to the right of Script after you've loaded it in. Then in the Photoshop Event: select Start Application and click Add to the right. It will be in the big box above. Make sure tick is in Enable Events to Run Scripts/Actions:

Now everytime you open PS the defautlt tool you select will be selected - in this case the Move Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure you can. What tool is it that you want to be selected when Photoshop has opened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make an action that records selecting that tool. If that doesn't work, first save a tool or brush preset with the settings you prefer and record selecting that. Then go to Script Events Manager... where you can have that action run every time you open PS, open a document, make a new document, etc. You can add other cool stuff in that action, like resetting your workspace, setting your ruler to pixels again, etc. (some actions/scripts fail if it's set to percent).

Per's is not the right answer... 😉
Oops, this was an ooooold question...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Signfeld wrote:

Make an action that records selecting that tool.

Sadly, actions can't record tool selections. Scripts can... (Edited for clarity: can't record all tool selections)

If that doesn't work, first save a tool or brush preset with the settings you prefer and record selecting that.

This is the only way with an action, however, it is not foolproof as having the "Current tool only" checkbox on in the tool preset will break this – leaving the script method as the only reliable method.

Then go to Script Events Manager... where you can have that action run every time you open PS, open a document, make a new document, etc.

Agreed 100%, more here:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2021/10/photoshop-script-events-manager.html

Oops, this was an ooooold question...

The topic was recently bumped, if the info is useful then it shouldn't matter how old the topic is if it potentially helps somebody else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, actions can't record tool selections. Scripts can...

> Luckily, a good amount do record... This may cover most of those:

FS2xUUPq6t.jpg

| [...] however, it is not foolproof as having the "Current tool only" checkbox on in the tool preset will break this – leaving the script method as the only reliable method.

> I indeed forgot to mention the "Current Tool Only" problem, but maybe this can be set via Event Script (if one wants it). I've set it once manually and PS leaves it so.

This is the only way with an action

> Other part of the solution is that Adobe recommends to save (some?) tools as a Brush preset since some time, which may fix that problem for a few extra tools too (I don't know how many can be saved as a brush though — maybe just a few).

In any case, I've never used/needed scripts just to select a tool, but it's cool to have a "100% reliable" way — though less portable — and if your action finds the script...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks for that, my memory was a little bit off... You show 17 tools recorded into an action, I remembered it being a lot less. Scripts can activate ~70 tools, so it does depend on which tool is required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we're adressing an oooold "new PS user" here, I still recommend to record them as tools or brushes. It's easier to add your preferred settings for the tool that way (and make a new preset if you must) than digging through code that may not work anymore in a few years.

-

I do sometimes wonder if a script can handle an option that an action is not recording.

For example, I recently had to solve a problem differently because an action doesn't record the Move Tool setting for Align to: Selection / Canvas.  Maybe a script can set it to Canvas...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen some fantastic things done with setting interface options with Action Manager scripting, which is mostly beyond my abilities.

I have been able to script both canvas and selection alignment, where the script replaces the use of the standard interface or action use. I have also managed to work around the issue with layer masks when aligning to canvas, but not yet to selections which are proving to difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool 🙂  That sounds like another problem I'm still having. Only my first alignment in the action works. The extra action I added to realign a few layers seems to be screwing up things (either related to the mask, or the missing option I mentioned). Might have a look, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines