Highlighted

Define Brush Preset works on transparent background with black text, but not white. Help.

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've defined three brush presets using black text on a transparent background. When I change the text color to white and try to define a brush preset, the error message, "Could not define the brush preset command because the selected area is empty."

Merging the layers and flattening the layers gives me the same error message. I tried placing a black background on a separate layer but the brush that was defined included the black background and I need a transparent one.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Define Brush Preset works on transparent background with black text, but not white. Help.

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've defined three brush presets using black text on a transparent background. When I change the text color to white and try to define a brush preset, the error message, "Could not define the brush preset command because the selected area is empty."

Merging the layers and flattening the layers gives me the same error message. I tried placing a black background on a separate layer but the brush that was defined included the black background and I need a transparent one.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 24, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Not sure why Photoshop is displaying the error, as its not a typical behavior.

1. Try merging all layers, then create a selection of the text by highlighting the layer and going to Select > All.
  2. Then give a white stroke to the text by going to Edit > Stroke. (Stroke size can be 1 - 3)
  3. Then save the file as a png.

Let us know how it goes.
Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sahil.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and reply. Your tips let me save the file as a .png but I couldn't use it to define a brush preset. I have six .png files that are each white text on transparent background. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get them converted into a .abr file.  (insert stumped and frustrated expression here)

Any other ideas?

Thank you again,

Michelle, wondering how to dip into Photoshop's typical behavior

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  You should use black to establish your custom pattern.  In this example, I used my pattern stamp tool on a new layer.  Double clicked pattern layer to add Fx >  color-overlay, white, 100% opacity.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm the OP, replying to my own post. I realized the answer and wanted to share it for others trying to do the same thing.

I don't need to create or define a brush with white color because I can create one with black and change the color, just as I would any brush tip. I credit sleep and caffeine for contributing to this (ahem) groundbreaking realization. 😉

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0