Highlighted

Delay/lag choosing healing source with tablet

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed a problem that seems to have no solution that I can find. When I first open Photoshop, the healing brush behaves as expected. I use my Wacom pen to select a source area and then it heals wherever I start painting. As I continue to use the tool, a delay starts to occur between the time when I try to select the source and the source being actually selected. Sometimes it gets so bad that even though I have ALT held down it will heal the area I'm trying to select as a source (the cursor changes to the target, but the pen click is treated as a request to heal instead of a request for source material). It's different from the older "Hide Rulers" issue that was causing healing brush lag in that once an area has been selected as the source for the healing brush, there is no lag in moving the brush and overlay around. I have attached a screen capture video to illustrate the issue.

My friend and I are having the same issue on different Windows 10 machines and different Wacom tablets with the same version of Windows. I have tried different versions of the Wacom driver (ensuring clean installs and multiple restarts between versions). I have used the PSUserConfig.text wintab fix in every permutation with enabling/disabling windows ink in the Wacom preferences. I have reset Photoshop preferences. It happens no matter what device is sending the ALT keypress (keyboard, tablet buttons, pen buttons). This issue doesn't seem to happen with my mouse even when I've already experienced the lag with the tablet. Going back to using the tablet picks up right where the lag left off.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.0.0 20201006.r.35 2020/10/06: 4587a1caa63 x64

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 or greater 10.0.19041.546
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

MB: Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus Wi-fi

RAM: 128GB (4x36GB) G.Skill F4-3200C16-32GTZN

Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 SC Gamig ACX 3.0 (NVIDIA Studio Driver 456.71)

(full system info report from photoshop attached)

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Delay/lag choosing healing source with tablet

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed a problem that seems to have no solution that I can find. When I first open Photoshop, the healing brush behaves as expected. I use my Wacom pen to select a source area and then it heals wherever I start painting. As I continue to use the tool, a delay starts to occur between the time when I try to select the source and the source being actually selected. Sometimes it gets so bad that even though I have ALT held down it will heal the area I'm trying to select as a source (the cursor changes to the target, but the pen click is treated as a request to heal instead of a request for source material). It's different from the older "Hide Rulers" issue that was causing healing brush lag in that once an area has been selected as the source for the healing brush, there is no lag in moving the brush and overlay around. I have attached a screen capture video to illustrate the issue.

My friend and I are having the same issue on different Windows 10 machines and different Wacom tablets with the same version of Windows. I have tried different versions of the Wacom driver (ensuring clean installs and multiple restarts between versions). I have used the PSUserConfig.text wintab fix in every permutation with enabling/disabling windows ink in the Wacom preferences. I have reset Photoshop preferences. It happens no matter what device is sending the ALT keypress (keyboard, tablet buttons, pen buttons). This issue doesn't seem to happen with my mouse even when I've already experienced the lag with the tablet. Going back to using the tablet picks up right where the lag left off.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.0.0 20201006.r.35 2020/10/06: 4587a1caa63 x64

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Version: 10 or greater 10.0.19041.546
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

MB: Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Plus Wi-fi

RAM: 128GB (4x36GB) G.Skill F4-3200C16-32GTZN

Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 SC Gamig ACX 3.0 (NVIDIA Studio Driver 456.71)

(full system info report from photoshop attached)

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say it's v22.0 all around. I have the same issue with other tools/functions where the delay makes it almost unusable. I can't even using my tablet with v22.0 because it's so laggy and not all the tools work the way they should.

Try reverting back to the previous build and see if it still does it. In my research there also seems to be some issues with Wacom drivers and this latest version as well. I'm back on v21.2.4.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downgraded to v21.2.4 and everything seems to be back to normal, but we'll see if delays start building up again. I was excited to be able to use the new features, but I feel like this always happens with new major versions of Photoshop even though I wait a couple weeks and religiously check the "known issues" pages before upgrading. You'd think Adobe would check their product compatibility with Wacom tablets since they're so prevalent.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: downgrading seems to have fixed my issue as well as my friend's issue on different hardware but the same Windows version. v20 appears to just be not worth it for anyone in a live production environment that doesn't need the new features.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear it's working...I thought the same thing, and checking to see patterns with issues, etc. Some of the new features are cool, but obviously not tested thoroughly. I wasted several hours trying to get down to the problem with no avail. I'll be looking for some updates soon to see if they've fixed things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. I was having some issues with random loss of pen pressure in v21.2, but pressing the windows key twice or a quick Alt-Tab Alt-Tab seemed to refresh it. That bug was gone in v22, so I guess they must have changed something in the way it uses the pen APIs. I'd rather deal with that than persistent lag.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. Maybe it's user error on my part, or I need to get a new Wacom, but when I try to use the pen at all in Ps, it wants to make a selection w/ any type of tool or brush tool. Outside of Ps, it works fine for drawing, selections, etc. /shrug

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If only someone from the Adobe support staff monitored these posts...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2020 0