• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting older preferences

Participant ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got my macbook back from being used by nephew to complete a school project using my PS app.  What I found was a different view, etc.  I asked if he had messed with the preferences and he shyly admitted to doing just that.  Being somewhat OCD, I set about resetting things the way I had them, but that was a problem.  Then I  figured I's just use TimeMachine to replace my Preferences.  In the Library, I saw that Camera Raw, PS Paths, & Settings from 2017, 2018, 2019, & 2020 along with 2021 items.  I removed everything that did not have the 2021 date.  I have deleted yet, but I wonder if that would present a problem.

My 2nd concern is the current is the current Adobe preference file and the current Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings.  I used Time Machine to replace both of these preference files to the date just before my nephew borrowed my macbook (I preserved the originals just in case) but I still see some differences.  For example, in the Workspace setting, my original is not there.  The cropping menu looks different from the original.   I know there was a most recent update-would this be the reason?  Is there a location for the Preference file I need to replace located someplace different than user/library/... on my Mac?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Photoshop forum for you, which is the appropriate forum for your question.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about wrong group - I THOUGHT this WAS a ? for the community.  Perhaps better discription of purpose.

Thanks for your assistance, LinSims

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Unless you find a recent Preferences file in Time Machine, in my opinion, the best thing to do now is to delete the Preferences file and let it create a new one: Prefs > General > Reset Prefs on Quit. This does not change the Workspace.

Then make the changes you need. 

When you create a new workspace, be sure to save it (Window > Workspace) so you can restore it. If you already saved it, you can just select it. I like to keep a screenshot as well.

If you (foolishly) lend your laptop again to the same nephew, then back up your Preferences file first so you can use yours when you get your laptop back.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e

Yeah, we had a conversation about changing things.  He has this idea that his suggestions are much better than mine---KIDS.  Where do they get their ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and strictly speaking, you're not allowed to do that. The license is personal and you can't let anyone else use it for any kind of extended use (as in sitting down and doing actual work with it).

You were after all just trying to be helpful, so I don't think anyone would have any objections this time - but that's what the license says. Just so you know for the next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse,

You bring up some interesting points.  Just how personal is the license?  Am I the only person allowed?  My nephew is at my house for the school days that are remote for him.  Usually he uses his school's chromebook, but this time, he asked to use my macbook as he wanted to share a PS project he is working on.  He logged on to his account in the room he uses, but it is in my house.  Technically did I violate my license?  Seems extreme if that is the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before going into that, it needs to be said that, as professional software goes, Photoshop is extremely cheap at $10 a month.

A natural comparison is AutoCAD. Take a look at these prices:

autocad.png

With that said, yes, the license is personal. Only you. If my wife needs Photoshop, she needs her own license.

I do realize that in third world and developing countries, $10 could be a lot. I also remember from my own student days that no expense is trivial. But for the rest of us, $10 a month is cheaper than the cell phone, about a Netflix subscription, iow negligible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Tape99 wrote:

He logged on to his account in the room he uses, but it is in my house.  Technically did I violate my license?

If he logged into his Adobe account on your computer, that is not a violation of your license. Using your account is a violation.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The date in the folder isn't the date the settings were made, but the version of Photoshop used. Just wanted to be sure you are aware of that. There may be a lot of experimenting, but there is no reason to delete anything. Are you sure you were even using Photosop 2021 before you lent the Macbook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines