• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Detect clipping path when pasting imagine

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been searching for an answer to this and I cant find any. So I am wondering if there is a function like in indesign in photoshop.

When you paste a jpg (example a product picture with whitespace) with a clipping path in indesign, the program detects the clipping path and activates it automatically. So I am wondering is there a way to have the same in photoshop (maybe a script or something) so when I paste the same jpg on a background in photoshop it will detect the clipping path and activate it? Or you cant so it will just paste the whole jpg with the whitespace also? I am trying to explain as best as i can so if something is unclear i can send screenshots.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can paste one image at time in Photoshop if I'm not wrong? So if you'd like to paste clipping path then you had to paste two images at time, or you mean you want a one that originally in other document was clipped to a layer below? Post SS's...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need that the jpg I am pasting in the psd file have the clipping path activated when pasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont need it to be able to edit the path i just need it to cut away the white space automatically in photoshop like it does in indesign. I know usually people dont use jpg as a format for this but we are talking about 20 000 ish pictures so i need a solution for it, if there is ofc.
Skjermbilde 2019-01-09 kl. 14.47.28.jpg
Skjermbilde 2019-01-09 kl. 14.46.10.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use inDesign, but that Clipping path on the image (however works like Ps clippping path) looks for me like regular pathItem that in Photoshop is something different. Post layers (and paths) panels content or better upload a file (that you created in inDesign?), so I can figure out what is the problem and what solution to provide.

The other question is what exactly you do in Photoshop after opening each file when clipping mask is already enabled. Is there some automation for all 20 000 files or there's something different you do for each of them?

Probably EventListener could help (however that is something that works bad when opening files for some reason), or just a script that opens files and enables Clipping mask. Then it repeats (with additional steps if needed for other files) or wait you do something manually and trigger script so the information stored in environmental variable will make next file in a row will be opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 20000 pictures are pictures of products with each their own clipping path made in Photoshop. What I wish to do is to make it so when i place in a smart object I want it to detect the clipping path in the smart object and active it. Thats why I said indesign because thats what it does there more or less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer for part of questions, like is it going to be automated process so once layer is placed to smart object you won't do anything else but that will be saved and closed. Anyway even if you do it singly for reason could you upload that smart object the image had to be placed in, I mean at lest that part of object which have clipping path inside. That will help to program it when we see how that looks like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I want it to be automatic so when placing an imagine it will automatically look for the path layer of the smart object. You want me to send an example of an imagine with a clipping path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, give a link to download it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because of company rules I am not allowed to send material like that. I can explain what I do. I have a picture of a product with whitespace around. I use pen tool/magic wand etc. to select the area there the product is. I make it to a path. I select the path in the path tab and make the path in the a clipping path and that is it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't send entirely original of image, just modified part, or anyhow created example without showing the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a picture of a bow with a clipping path. bow.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You described everything in earliest posts, so no need to say it again as I understood it Now I need file structure, that you want to paste other single layer file into. Then I can see what is going on. For now I have no idea what the content looks like, and I don't want to imagine it, just see it to know everything to proceed. Simply create very similar Smart Object and share it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do that just create a file in Photoshop. 1080x1080. Make the background any color you want and then thats about it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okey, but till now I was sure there is Clipping Mask used in that Smart Object that you want was enabled to placed image. Now I understand there is no any. You just want it was created while plaicing other image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a clipping path in that file. I want it when you place the bow on the file you have made that the clipping path is activated on that smart object. When you have placed the bow it would turn in to a smart object. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't help The only what I need is your file as the answer I got to create one 1080x1080 doesn't give me anything. A file created this way wouldn't reflect the problem I'm aiming, otherwise you would've got an answer from me or two other also quite experienced users in no time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you place this picture (the bow) in another file you have open in photoshop. It will be a smart object. What I want is for Photoshop to automatically active the path layer on that smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sannie_smfb  wrote

I have been searching for an answer to this and I cant find any. So I am wondering if there is a function like in indesign in photoshop.

When you paste a jpg (example a product picture with whitespace) with a clipping path in indesign, the program detects the clipping path and activates it automatically. So I am wondering is there a way to have the same in photoshop (maybe a script or something) so when I paste the same jpg on a background in photoshop it will detect the clipping path and activate it? Or you cant so it will just paste the whole jpg with the whitespace also? I am trying to explain as best as i can so if something is unclear i can send screenshots.

I do not understand what you are asking.  Copy and Paste deals with the system clipboard it can contain text and image pixels. As far as I know  the clipboard dose not uset files.  Additionally jpeg File format does not support transparency so there will be no Alpha channel an a jpeg background layer is canvas size.  Photoshop is not a file editor and layers are not files.   There are different type layers and layers can be copied between documents and image files can be placer ins as smart object layers.  Paths can be added and passed between applications.   Pixel in the clipboard do not need to be in a rectangula layer shape the image in the clipboard can have any shape.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if I understand what you trying to tell me. I know jpg is a file format that dont have transparent options. What I wish to do is to make it so when i place in a smart object I want it to detect the clipping path in the smart object and active it. Thats why I said indesign because thats what it does there more or less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sannie_smfb  wrote

I am not sure if I understand what you trying to tell me. I know jpg is a file format that dont have transparent options. What I wish to do is to make it so when i place in a smart object I want it to detect the clipping path in the smart object and active it. Thats why I said indesign because thats what it does there more or less.

No what you wrote was

Paste does not create smart object layers.

By default when you use Place to create an image layer for the file the layer will be created as smart object layer.  All smart object layers have pixels rendered for the layers content and an associated transform and most smart objects transform via Interpolating the Pixels rendered for the smart object layer content.  There's an exception for what Adobe calls Vector Smart object.  These are Placed AI files like .svg and .ai files.   Still there are no vector path in Photoshop for these layer or other placed smart object layers the Vector Paths are in the layers Object which you can only get at by opening the layer's object. Which may not open in Photoshop some may open in AI if you have AI installed.   Vector Smart objects are resized in Photoshop using vector graphics by Photoshop opening the Smart object layer's file object  and importing the vector files as a pixel image layer the sized requested by transform.  There are no vectors paths in Photoshop for smart object layers. They are in the layers object.

Photoshop itself does not support .SVG or .AI as vector layers.  Photoshop import these file types using Vector graphic to size a Pixel Layer the for the files image content.  In Photoshop AI files open as a single Pixels layer not as vector layers. Photoshop also imports some other file types in a simular fasion like PDF and EPS files.  There are no vectors in Photoshop for these image layers

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does "Paste" mean? Ctrl+V from clipboard?
If so, how did the jpg file get into the clipboard (Ctlc+C)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines