• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Did Adobe pull the switch on legacy CS 5.1?

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until one day ago I had no issues running Photoshop CS 5.1 on Mac OS 10.14.2. I've been deliberate not to update to 64-bit OSX for this very reason, to keep working with legacy CS 5.1, as it handles all my needs. Suddenly, I launch without an issue, can even open a file, so that's a clue right there that the system can't be that much out of step, but simply clicking on the file, or even a new untitled doc, crashes the app. I've not updated anything, so what changed? If I didn't update OSX or CS5.1, what's left? I tried trashing prefs and also reinstalling, same behavior persists. Interestingly, Illustrator runs fine, as does After Effects. Why just Photoshop. 

I read about Java Runtime possibly being the problem, but as I hadn't changed that version, why now the issue? In any event I installed Java Runtime 2017, problem persists.

Thanks for idead!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed in CS5.1. It's nine years old and hasn't seen an update in almost as many years.

But it's still live, activation servers are still running. Nobody knows for how long, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you D-Fosse, that's encouraging to the extent this issue should in theory be fixable. What then could explain the crashing when other CS 5.1 (actually was upgraded to 5.5) apps still run fine? It's not Java, installed the legacy version 2017 to work with CS 5.1.  I reinstalled Mojave, was alerted to needing to install the legacy version of Java when attempting to launch PS, did that, PS opened but same behavior on crashing when clicking on new Untitled. I'm out of ideas, Many thanks for your thoughts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ged,

THANK YOU! Interestingly, in Security & Privacy I found PS already checked, so tried unchecking it, rechecking it, nada. I then introduced to that cycle a restart and viola that did it. What a relief, though know the clock is ticking...

Again, big thanks, the altruism online with people like you, restores my faith in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines