• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Different smart objects

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having a PSD document with different groups. Everytime I re link one of the smart objects changes the image for all the other smart objects in the whole document. How do I keep each smart object linked independetly to an specific file?

Thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you describe is the way smart objects are designed to work. Copies of the smart object are linked back to the original and changing the contents of any copy, changes them all. In the case of a linked smart object, updating the link updates them all.

One of the simplest ways around it it to convert a linked SO to a new SO. This will then update independently by opening the new SO and updating the linked SO within it. The others will not update.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Dave, I will give it a tray and get back to the forum in case doesnt work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other options, none great, might be

• duplicating the image (Image > Duplicate), relinking the SO in the copy and dragging the ones that are supposed to link to the same file back to the original 

• Layer > Smart Objects > Embed Linked, Layer > Smart Objects > New Smart Object Via Copy, then linking the two to two different files (Layer > Smart Objects > Relink to File) 

• …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, few questions:

Do I convert to a new SO by pressing click SO on top of the already SO? By doing that I kind of lose the mask applied to it and when adding the new linked file to the SO I do not have the right position anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the layers panel - right click then "Convert to smart object"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, might help to explain:

I an updating screens on a device. The workflow:

I have some frames with different views on a device. The screens display image needs to be changed for each different frame.

Those screens are coming from a different folder where I have different front views on each screen. So my perspective renders are linked to those front images of the screens and then get updated with the correct perspective. 

When I apply the SO I lose the transformation on my layer that make my linked 2d image update on my perspective render.

I apologise if it is not clear. I can make a sketch of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines