• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difficulties adding text to blank image

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked the Horizontal Type tool and clicked onto my blank image, but I got a strange result. This popped up on my screen.

I am not sure how to go from here -- guides I have read on the Internet do not mention this window. They just indicate that you can click on the blank canvas and type.

I'm using Photoshop version 21.2.3.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Thanks, I fixed it. It seems like right-clicking the font size icon in the toolbar fixed it somehow. I changed my font size that way and it seems to work via the dropdown menu now, too. Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It's from the Glyphs Panel, more info

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/glyph-panel.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. How should I be adding text, then? Dragging didn't seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can click with the Type tool for Point text or drag to create Area Type, then start typing.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are seeing is the available alternates for the glyphs in selected text (small caps, superscript, etc.) The "More" button (arrow) will open the entire Glyphs panel.

jane-e_0-1600206665930.png

If you don't want to see them, go to Preferences > Type > and uncheck "Enable Type layer glyph alternates".

jane-e_1-1600206783482.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text method you mentioned doesn't seem to be working for me; I clicked the Text icon and then the canvas, but I got this:

unknown.png

 I tried rebooting my PC but that didn't seem to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try opening a new document, your screenshot shows this, recovered.psb @ 2%

Untitled.jpg

If it still doesn't work with a new document, try a preference reset, hit Ctrl + K to bring up the preference settings and select reset preferences on quit from the general tab, restart Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Ged about starting a new document, but before you reset preferences try:

• a type size larger than zero
  • resetting the type tool — right click the type tool in the options bar (not Tools panel)

D839A4D6-E8D0-46F8-A397-0406BD355E4C.jpeg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll try to reset the type tool when I get back to my computer.

As you can see in my screenshot, my font size is (oddly enough) set to "0 pt"; when I try to change it, it resets back immediately. I've also tried creating a new file but that didn't seem to fix it.

Another thing I've noticed is that this problem doesn't seem to occur when I am editing images: just when I open a blank file. Otherwise it works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it keeps going back to zero, you may have to reset preferences as per Ged's instructions. It's worth resetting the type tool and relaunching PS first, though.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I fixed it. It seems like right-clicking the font size icon in the toolbar fixed it somehow. I changed my font size that way and it seems to work via the dropdown menu now, too. Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome. I'm glad changing your type size from zero fixed your issue.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines