• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dinosaur Photoshop and Lightroom - upgrade or stick with what i know?

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

I am using a version of Photoshop that is about 20 years old! (Photoshop 6.0)

I also have an older version of Lightroom (Lightroom 3) but haven't used it

for a number of years. I do everything on a 13 inch Dell laptop computer

with Windows 10. Mostly the old version of Photoshop works fine and I

have never felt the need to upgrade because I only use a handful of functions

(light post processing). I have no doubt that a modern version of both programs

could make my life easier but I also don't want to get myself thoroughly

overwhelmed. I am not someone who constantly feels the need to upgrade

software or equipment, if something works for me I stick with it until it

breaks 😉 Lately though I have been wondering whether I should take the

plunge and invest newer versions of both programs. Has anyone been in

my position or do you think it would be tricky for me to adapt? Thankyou 🙂

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been so much change since PS 6! You might find it overwhelming and frustrating, in that many thing have changed in the way they are done. That said, there are so many great new features also that make processing images easier. You really need to test out the new PS. Unfortunately, the trial period is short, and you need to make sure you read all the conditions of the subscription model, so you don't get stuck with a payment that you don't want. PS 6 is so old, I'm surprised that it even works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for your response. Yes, I am surprised PS 6 continues to work for me. The only glitch is that it tends to freeze after around 6  'save for web' in a row but I have learned to live with it (simply shut down PS and start her again). I would love something that makes things like selections a bit easier (being limited to lasoo and pen tool etc....) Sadly I am not real keen to take on any subscriptions yet so will have to chew things over a bit longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Chuck Uebele mentioned perpetual licenses are a thing of the past with Photoshop. 

So if you upgrade you will have to make monthly or yearly payments. 

But when one decides to stick with obsolete software one should make sure one is able to roll back any and all software and hardware updates in case they »break« the set-up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"do you think it would be tricky for me to adapt"

The 7-day free trial is basically to see if PS is compatible with your system. You can get an annual subscription payable at $9.99 per month that includes LR and PS. If you didn't want LR, I would suggest PS Elements, which is on sale through January 4, and is stand-alone.

But to answer you question, if you haven't used LinkedIn Learning before, then take advantage of the 30-day free trial and watch Photoshop 2021 Essential Training with Julieanne Kost. And ask here with all of your questions — we are users who love to help!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane

I do like the idea of a stand-alone program but I don't think the Photoshop Elements deal is

available to me (I am in Australia). I will keep hunting around. I can see Adobe Aus do have the PS/LR sub for around A$14.29/month. But at this point I don't know if I would use enough from both programs to justify the ongoing sub? Also hesitant to download trials in case doing so somehow breaks my old programs? It's a crazy dilemma I have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I have upgraded my Photoshop several times and always regretted it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines