• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct Selection Tool no longer edits shape in Photoshop 2021?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else has this issue but since updating to Photoshop 2021 whenever I create a shape such as a rectangle using the rectangle tool and then use the direct selection tool to select a few corners (using shift), whenever I then use the cursor keys, rather than change the shape of the rectangle it just moves the entire shape on the canvas. 

Does anyone else have this issue or have I got a setting messed up somewhere?

Many thanks,

Rob.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have exaclty the same thing! 2021 update breaks this I think.

------ was making the same post: ----

why can't I drag points anymore? this update kinda breaks my way of working. When I make a square shape I can't move two points in the same direction. The whole square moves with it 😞 If I wanted that i would use the move tool. Does anyone know where I can find this setting? (I hope 2021 has a setting)

Please help us with this irritating bug! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every year the same with the version updates... :') Tiny little bugss.. have to wait a few months until you update!

I go back to 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I'm not going crazy...spent the last 45 minutes trying to find a setting somewhere to re-enable editing of live shapes using the direct selection tool. Only when I watched the embedded Photoshop 'help' video that I realised that it must be a bug. I use this function constantly as well so don't want to wait for bug fixes, I might try rolling back to version 21.2.4 to see if that helps. 

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 15.43.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Search the web for quite some time. Then thought I was confused and it was my problem.. Then back to the web.. finding this post made me happy haha. (im not crazy!) Back to v21.2.4 it is 🙂

JJV5FCA_0-1603742091223.png

I have them both installed, this way I can check when the bug is fixed 

Hope adobe will release a solution fast! The new features are fun to play with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was embarrassed by the same problem.
I hope it's fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think this is issue in new version of PS. I had the same problem.

Additionaly, there is also problem with rounding corners.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how it looks – https://youtu.be/7Py-W7xS0Uo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, I found if I select one point and move it out of position, then it works as per normal. It's almost as if the all the points are selected by default (although none of the points are coloured solid) and you just have to 'slap it' to wake it up into normal. Certainly feels like an 'unexpected feature'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would moving the one point out of position and then back again not change it to a regular path rather than live shape though? The issue I have is with editing live shapes using the direct selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly yes, sounds like your nuked until one of the next few updates. I don't use live shapes so my workaround works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as mine... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to show how weird this one is, someone posted elsewhere if you select the two top points of a rectangle for example, move them sideways and then back into position they work fine (still break the live shape)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true, but after breaking you cannot control rounding in this shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem!

Jesus christ this one is so annoying, i can't even continue working.

@Shweta23  when are you gonna fix this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all

I've noticed the same. This drives me crazy 'cause this is my essential tool. The worst part, however, is that it acts unpredictable - sometimes (rarely) it works as it used to, sometimes it moves too many anchors (including not selected ones) and sometimes, when I try to figure out wtf and move my mouse or pen, it just moves the whole path randomly.

HEY ADOBE - WE ALL PAY A LOT FOR YOUR SOFTWARE AND WE USE IT TO EARN A LIVING. PLEASE, FIX THIS OBVIOUS BUG!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow! keep it cool... just go back to the earlier version of photoshop 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here too, reverting back to previous version for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the solution. Not sure if bug or feature, lol. You can't edit live shapes this way, you have to convert it to regular shape. Move point with arrow keys  to break the live shape then move point back. Maybe you guys sugges some other way to break live shapes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. This worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just spoken to Adobe support about this they say:

"The performance issue with the application, is due to graphic drivers compatibility with the application."

They told me to use 2020 until Apple release an update with graphics drivers that make it compatible with 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi diagonalline

Thanks for the update.

I'm actually on Windows 10 and I just downloaded the latest nVidia drivers. Nothing changed regarding the Photoshop issue. To be honest, I really don't think it's driver related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha you took that as a valid answer? I dont believe that just the "Direct Selection Tool" acts weird because of a graphic driver problem. Then there had to be many more problems. Pen tool etc.

Plus you use mac + amd...
And I use windows + nvidea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines