• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable extras on startup

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2009 Nov 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using PS CS3. I don't remember changing any settings, but all of a sudden when I open any Photoshop file, the "extras" (gridlines) are showing. I can hit the keyboard shortcut to turn it off, but I have to do that each time I open a file...which is pretty annoying. I looked through my preferences and can't seem to find anything that would cause this to happen. Any ideas on how I can make the extras stop showing on startup?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

I realize this thread is old but I came across it because I was having the same problem in PS CS3 (which doesn't seem to have the CS4 icon referred to in the previous reply).

Unchecking 'View > Extras' also had not worked for me.  The grid would still re-appear when subsequently opening an image.

In my case, what seemed to be forcing the grid to show up on every image load was that the 'View > Show > Grid' option was checked.  Unchecking it resolved the problem for me.

So, recapping, to avoid the g

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the solution that worked for me too. I tried unchecking every individual box in the extras settings. Seemed logical given that Command H (Extras) is what seems to turn it on and off for the individual images. But when I chose View > Show > None the lines went away and were still gone when I opened a new image. Yay! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing it could be: select the Move tool, at the top tool options uncheck "Show Transform Controls".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this is what worked for me!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that it is not the extras but it is 'automatic select'. Click on the select tool and above it on the bar uncheck 'auto select' box and to the right of that 'show transform control' box. Be well!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This was driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off Canvas Guides (worked with me)

View > Show > Canvas Guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an updated reply for this old thread  (Photoshop CC 2022) that confirms the correct answer and includes a screenshot that makes it more clear--at least to me.

In the View menu, there's a block that contains two items: Extras and Show.

Click on Show, then click off Grid

This menu items works differently than most others. It's a mini-preference menu. The Show submenu holds a selection of options to be enabled/disable by the Extras (^H) option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally!    This suggestion worked!   

I wonder how that grid got into the startup actions in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines