Highlighted

Disable extras on startup

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using PS CS3. I don't remember changing any settings, but all of a sudden when I open any Photoshop file, the "extras" (gridlines) are showing. I can hit the keyboard shortcut to turn it off, but I have to do that each time I open a file...which is pretty annoying. I looked through my preferences and can't seem to find anything that would cause this to happen. Any ideas on how I can make the extras stop showing on startup?

Community Beginner
Correct answer by qumi | Community Beginner

I realize this thread is old but I came across it because I was having the same problem in PS CS3 (which doesn't seem to have the CS4 icon referred to in the previous reply).

Unchecking 'View > Extras' also had not worked for me.  The grid would still re-appear when subsequently opening an image.

In my case, what seemed to be forcing the grid to show up on every image load was that the 'View > Show > Grid' option was checked.  Unchecking it resolved the problem for me.

So, recapping, to avoid the grid showing up when loading an image:

View > Show > (uncheck) Grid

I haven't checked but I'm guessing the same behaviour would apply to other 'Extras' set to show in the View > Show command while the Extras command is checked.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Disable extras on startup

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using PS CS3. I don't remember changing any settings, but all of a sudden when I open any Photoshop file, the "extras" (gridlines) are showing. I can hit the keyboard shortcut to turn it off, but I have to do that each time I open a file...which is pretty annoying. I looked through my preferences and can't seem to find anything that would cause this to happen. Any ideas on how I can make the extras stop showing on startup?

Community Beginner
Correct answer by qumi | Community Beginner

I realize this thread is old but I came across it because I was having the same problem in PS CS3 (which doesn't seem to have the CS4 icon referred to in the previous reply).

Unchecking 'View > Extras' also had not worked for me.  The grid would still re-appear when subsequently opening an image.

In my case, what seemed to be forcing the grid to show up on every image load was that the 'View > Show > Grid' option was checked.  Unchecking it resolved the problem for me.

I haven't checked but I'm guessing the same behaviour would apply to other 'Extras' set to show in the View > Show command while the Extras command is checked.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 07, 2009 4
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save a file after you turn it off and they should stay off for next time!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2009 0
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that doesn't work. I've been opening a file, turning it off, working on and saving the file. When I reopen anything at all in Photoshop, that setting is always on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2009 2
New Here ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same prob. I have in my CS5, but I solved that. Go to Vew - Show - And disable all grids and so on. Next time u wont see them. Just everytime I open any image, extras is still marked in View tab..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2010 1
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried trashing your prefs yet (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences You’ve changed)?

Other than that a fairly convoluted workaround could be to Insert the Menu Item Grid in an Action and link that to Open Document in Script Events Manager, thus toggling grid visibility on any open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2010 1
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched around and found up on the menu bar in cs4 is the icon for view extras. I unchecked the show grids and that is what turned it off for me.  The icon looks like the corner of the window when the rulers are showing and is to the right of the BR (launch Bridge - which I love) button. Hope it helps the next person. I turned the grid on a couple of days ago. Flighty artist.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2010 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 22, 2011 17
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking "Show Grid" worked for me. See above for instructions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2018 2
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

life saving help! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Direction: 

This will work if other solutions have not. Thanks to all the community for solving this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exaqct same problem. When I open a file, the grid shows up automatically ALL the time. I can turn it off with CNTRL-H but that's really annoying when I'm working with a large number of images. The solution above doesn't work. I uncheck, open a new file and the grid shows up again. HELP!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0