• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable Variable and concept fonts?

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this question asked a few times with no resolution. How can you remove or disable the variable fonts. I don't have much need for these and now in order to get to the typeface that I do need, I have to scroll and search through at least 40+ of the "variable" fonts. This has become a real pain throughout InDesign, illustrator, and photoshop. 

How can I get rid of all this junk?

Capture.JPG

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I don't think I am able to uninstall them. They are not actual fonts on my machine, nor can I locate the fonts in the adobe font manager to deactivate them. Which made me think that there would just be a setting to turn things off but I haven't had any luck locating that. I really hope there's some way to deactivate these...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Does no one have any recommendations? 
I would imagine this should be a simple thing to deactivate, if not how would be the best way to go about requesting this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there's not too much help on that page either. 
The note regarding the removal of the "Required Fonts" from the InDesign file structure cannot be used on all adobe applications. Not to mention only a couple of the variable fonts are even located there. 

And while it is aggravating in InDesign, it's just the same for Photoshop and Illustrator. 

I suppose this just isn't a thing then. How can we request a fix for this from adobe? I've never had to request something but these fonts are just insanely redundant and I hope to get rid of this clutter one day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop comes with a lot of unnecessary variable fonts. It would be nice to be able to control them on a user level and not be forced by Adobe to have them installed. I don't need them and they get in the way.

This is the hack for Photoshop 22.2 on macOS, but if you are working with a newer version or in Windows this might help you find the location of the variable crap Adobe keeps installing.

I did a little research and I found that they are now located in an invisible folder ".f". In macOS, hit cmd + shift + . (dot) to see invisible files in the Finder. Next check the Package Contents of Photoshop (right click the app, choose Show Package Contents).

Here's the path to the invisible .f folder:

Adobe Photoshop 2021.app⁩ / ⁨Contents⁩ / ⁨Required⁩ / ⁨typesupport / ⁨.f

This invisible folder contains the following 40 invisble files named from ".1" to ".40":

Etcetera

These are fonts apparently. I made the .f folder visible by removing the dot in front of the name. Next I relocated it to a different location on my Mac and checked if Photostop would work without this folder installed. And it did, just fine in fact.

When I change the visibility by removing the dot in front of the name and adding the .otf extension .24 changes to a visible file 24.otf. When I Get Info (cmd + i) on the file I can see the Full Name becomes Trajan Color.

As you can see below this trick doesn’t work on all files though, 25, 26, 27 and some more do not show their Full Name in Finder Get Info when I apply the above name and extension changes. But when I put them in FontExplorer, their font names do show up. Here is the complete list:

1.otf = Adobe Devanagari Bold
2.otf = Adobe Devanagari Bold Italic
3.otf = Adobe Devanagari Italic
4.otf = Adobe Devanagari
5.otf = Adobe Fan Heiti Std B
6.otf = Adobe Gurmukhi Bold
7.otf = Adobe Gurmukhi
8.otf = Adobe Heiti Std R
9.otf = KozGoPr6N-Bold
10.otf = KozGoPr6N-Regular
11.otf = Myriad Arabic Bold
12.otf = Myriad Arabic Bold Italic
13.otf = Myriad Arabic Italic
14.otf = Myriad Arabic
15.otf = Myriad Hebrew Bold
16.otf = Myriad Hebrew Bold Italic
17.otf = Myriad Hebrew Italic
18.otf = Myriad Hebrew
19.otf = Myriad Pro Bold
20.otf = Myriad Pro Bold Italic
21.otf = Myriad Pro Italic
22.otf = Myriad Pro
23.otf = EmojiOne
24.otf = Trajan Color
25.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX Acumin Variable Concept
26.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX Minion Varable Concept Italic
27.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX Minion Variable Concept
28.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX Myriad Varable Concept Italic
29.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX Myriad Varable Concept
30.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX Source Code Pro
31.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX Source Code Pro
32.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX Source Sanse Variable Italic
33.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX Source Sanse Variable
34.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX Source Serif Variable
35.otf = Noto Sans Khmer Regular
36.otf = Noto Sans Lao Regular
37.otf = Noto Sans Myanmar Regular
38.otf = Noto Sans Sinhala Regular
39.otf = Adobe Thai
40.otf = no Full Name with .otf or .ttf extension, in FEX: Source Serif Variable

So here it is, Variable font mystery in Photoshop solved.

I really hate it when Adobe forces these things on me. I never liked the Variable Concept of Color fonts and will aways try to remove them. Happy cleaning!

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much @DrDoctor , I used your thinking and applied the same logicto Illustrator as I was looking for the ones that show up in Illustrator, and found the Variable fonts in:
Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2024/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/Required/Fonts
I created a new folder, copied the Variable fonts into it and deleted them from that folder and they now do not show up in Illustrator anymore! Thankfully they are named correctly  in that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines