• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discontinuing browser support? Why on earth would you do that?

Explorer ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company leverages Extract heavily, so I am quite disappointed to see that you're planning on discontinuing browser support... The ability to share Extract links between designer & developer has proven extremely valuable and will be missed dearly.

Is there anything you can tell me to help explain this decision? The blog post was profoundly vague...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Hi all,

Thank you for chiming in and sharing your thoughts. Feedback shapes what we build and we take it very seriously.

We’re very happy to announce that Extract is coming back to Creative Cloud Files late next week. Right now we’re running some tests to make sure things work smoothly, and you can expect a follow-up post when it’s good to go.

We apologize for the disruption and hope that you and your teams will continue to count on Creative Cloud to help your designer to developer workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eldrahmin

Thanks for putting together this list! I hadn't heard about Sympli before but we're trying it now and our devs are loving the plugin support! Game-changer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eladrahmin Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried the app Brackets which Adobe owns. Download available here Brackets - A modern, open source code editor that understands web design.

When in Brackets, go to the share icon on the right. Now select a PSD. Try it out. See if it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty sure they are also discontinuing Extract support within the Brackets ecosystem as well

FYI... loving Sympli

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. Bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brackets is a wonderful text editor, but the announcement says the Brackets Extract extension will also be discontinued.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just incredible. Adobe was doing it right to be at the top of the design process for mobile applications. In our organisation this change will affect us massively, so much that we are considering using other tools different than Adobe's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree!!! I'm currently ordering a copy of Sketch in light of this issue. And the fact that Adobe XD is not ramping up as fast as I would like. This is like a bomb going off in my whole workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2016 Jun 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joel.seguillon​ done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what Adobe's plans are, but they did not discontinue the Extract Tab as planned yesterday. Cross your fingers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the uneasy feeling that what they're planning on doing is having Experience Design absorb a large portion of Extract's functionals... I noticed the other day that Sympli has a 'Experience Design Coming Soon' icon; indicating that Sympli will be unveiling a plugin that supports redlining/styleguides for ED.

Thus far I've been supremely unimpressed with Experience Design, and it in no way helps with any of my workflow at this point. So if in some way Adobe expects me and my team to start utilizing it as a way to regain some of what will be lost by discontinuing Extract, then they are flat out wrong in that assumption.

Granted all this is pure conjecture, so who knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We noticed that as well. Too late. We're already going with Zeplin. And probably switching over to Sketch as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have lost the Extract tab as of late yesterday.  AARRGGHHHHHH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what in the hell is wrong with adobe - this was the single greatest feature of CC. extract has saved my life and sanity with design to developer workflow. what in the world?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our UI/UX team was heavily rely on Extract tool. It was such a easy breezy to just create a CC link and send it to the dev. The other great thing is it came with Adobe Creative Cloud so we didn’t have to pay extra for its feature. Now we have to find another similar tool and train the dev to use it, and will have to pay monthly subscribe fee. I don’t know what Adobe is thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stupid and Rash decision

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are another team that rely heavily on Adobe Extract to hand over designs to the development team. Like many others here it was a core part of our design workflow and a key part of why we pay for a subscription. In fact I'd go so far as to say it's about the only 'cloud' feature we were actually using.

It's a commercial decision of course - but I'd content that lack of take up was merely a symptom of lack of awareness. Adobe hasn't exactly gone out of it's way to make people aware of it - probably because some of the people who were using Extract could potentially buy a subscription.

What is utterly galling is that I found out about this when one of our developers made me aware that the Extract link was no longer available. So what I want to know is:

1. Adobe must know what Adobe IDs have used the Extract feature - since it's tied to my account. If you can't find that out then you're Doing It Wrong. Why was there no email to communicate this decision to the people that are paying a not inconsiderable subscription fee?
  2. Even Google (who give products for free) have the decency to give a sunset period. Paying for my software should mean better service, not worse.

How do we get Adobe to reinstate this feature? At the moment it's very much another nail in the coffin for my creative cloud team license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also very disappointed by this decision.

Our developers rely heavily on the extract function and it is creating a timely headache having to now manually do this via Photoshop. I hope that Adobe either reverse this decision or they at least provide an alternative product that can do the same functionality.

A step backwards for our workflow and now we have to look for an alternative third party product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no sunset notification and no alternative recommendations. For those who used this feature it was mission critical and has literally brought operations to a stand still as we work out documentation manually. This was hugely unprofessional and detrimental to accumulated good will for the CC product in general. What are we all supposed to do now?

Also, if it was not used heavily - it wasnt exactly advertised. Adobe has lost a tremendous amount of trust with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post here where and how you came about this news? Posting a comment like that is going to attract a lot of intrigue and curiosity. And all of us don't want to get our hopes up when we've all tried to rearrange our current workflow.

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you for chiming in and sharing your thoughts. Feedback shapes what we build and we take it very seriously.

We’re very happy to announce that Extract is coming back to Creative Cloud Files late next week. Right now we’re running some tests to make sure things work smoothly, and you can expect a follow-up post when it’s good to go.

We apologize for the disruption and hope that you and your teams will continue to count on Creative Cloud to help your designer to developer workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have some critical projects going on using Extract in the workflow. As a short term solution we had spent some extra time converting layer comps to artboards and then using Zeplin.

Good to mention that we have purchased licences of Sketch for our global team of +15 designers, so our next projects will be done without Photoshop/Illustrator.

Frankly we feel abandoned to our luck by adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2016 Jul 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has lost now, not only some of the teams that are here commenting, but a lot of generations of designers from my college, In my class I was using brackets as the tool to make designers know how easy was to integrate with developers, just by using Photoshop, now I'll be teaching how to do this with sketch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No meaningful reply from Adobe about this. I think I will be moving our team to Sketch and canceling our CC subscription. Everything I need can be done in Sketch now. I anticipate a huge loss for Adobe as they neglect and now entirely betray this segment of their market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines